Supra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was wondering what else do I need to complete a swap. I work for a japanese engine company so it shouldnt be a problem getting a hold of japanese clips(half cuts). We'll from what I heard most of the hardtop supras are NA. So I'll probably end up getting an NA if I dont find a TT hardtop.

·
Pro Formula Mazda Driver
82 Posts
NA swap to Turbo

Dude, I am going through the exact same transition right now and I would avoid it at all costs. I got the runaround from so many people that say they have done it, and it turns out that they probably haven't.

I would highly recommend getting a domestic turbo. I made the big mistake of getting a Jap spec motor and found out so many things that are different from the US spec model.

Here are just a few. . .Cams, injectors, fuel rail, lower oil pan ($250 to swap) no EGRs (which is okay) the 1998 and newer models have VVT-i so you don't want that. . you'll also need the ECU, harness, new exhaust, stock brakes suck on the NA- so you'll need those. The stock NA fuel system will not hold up to the turbo needs.

The other problem is the transmission and driveline. It will not hold up to the power you will put the turbo to. I switched out the driveline and it's not cheap- and that's if you can find it.

You'll have to remember that the clutch in the NA and the Turbo are completely different and it's hard to find a clutch that will take more than 450hp.

The other problem is what do you do with all the parts to you take off. I thought I would have no problem selling them- yeh right. Who wants NA parts?!!! Now I am stuck with a complete driveline and engine from my NA- taking up space in my garage.

Anyways. . .you are not going to save much from getting a domestic turbo once you get all the necessary parts. You have to think long and hard what you are planning on doing to the turbo once you get one. If you plan on just getting about 400hp, I would recommend looking at the PHR NA conversion kit. It's about $5K (I've seen some used ones for $3500) and pretty good deal considering what you are getting. If you want more HP than that, you'll need to get a plan together- not for the part list, but a plan to rob a bank!

If you have any questions, feel free to email.

-Jonathan

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ya I wanted to do the same thing with my N/A Supra =(, but from what I've heard/seen it'd be easier to just sell your car you got and buy a TT =(. Also check out some Greddy turbo kits =) pull off HIGH amounts of HP and its not EXTREMELY expensive *IMO* for what you're getting.

RoB~

·
Pro Formula Mazda Driver
82 Posts
I thought it was going to be cheaper to convert than to buy, Still not sure yet because people still want a premium for the TTs. It really depends on what you plan on doing with the car once you get it. If you plan on building a monster, I would still do what I did- buy a motor, build it and then install it. That way you can still drive the car and take your time on finding parts and solutions!

And yes, plan on spending at least $10K because you still need a ton of parts and help once you think you have everything!

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
wellv guy it's true its a lot of money

but is part of loving car

iam looking for a vvti tt auto ecu

and i have use 3k so far.

remember it's a projet sow you will need a buck

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
toyz said:
Was wondering what else do I need to complete a swap. I work for a japanese engine company so it shouldnt be a problem getting a hold of japanese clips(half cuts). We'll from what I heard most of the hardtop supras are NA. So I'll probably end up getting an NA if I dont find a TT hardtop.
If you dont mind me asking, but how much is the Jdm vvti TT going for at the place you are working at? 6-speed tranny? I am going to do a swap by the end of the summer. What Japanese engine company do you work for? I am still in the process of looking for the best deal with low miles on the engine. Let me know.

Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts