Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI GUYS IM JUST WONDERING WHAT U GUYS THINK ABOUT THE T-72 TURBO CHARGER. IT IS A SPLIT PULSE ENTRY AND IT HAS A .84 HOUSING ON IT. DO U THINK IT SHOULD MAKE GOOD POWER, BY THE WAY ITS NOT GOING ON A SUPRA IM FROM AUSTRALIA AND TS GOING ON A NISSAN RB30

KEEP BOOSTIN :D

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have a T76BB w/ .81 AR - I like it better than my old T88 - lag isn't *too* bad with my 4200rpm stall...

Like Tozer said, it craps HP......

Jay

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what do you guys mean by, it craps horse power? will it make power or not? :confused:

·
UNLIMITED !
1,411 Posts
It will make CRAZY POWER :) , power that the car maybe never see in the street ;)
Originally posted by platnm:
<STRONG>what do you guys mean by, it craps horse power? will it make power or not? :confused:</STRONG>

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
im hoping for around 600 rwhp everything else is done on the car..e.g forges, motec, extractors, 4000 stall with trans brake, cooler and plaunm ect. what do u guys think about controling the boost with a blow off valve, have u guys ever done it? :)

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What size turbo are you running now, and what boost, you must be running something decent to be running a 4000 converter and a transbrake.

Also tell us your driveline specs ie..rear end ratio, 2 or 3 speed auto and what 1/4 mile times your chasing...

I reckon you could get those HP numbers with a T66 and have less lag.....

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by platnm:
<STRONG>what do u guys think about controling the boost with a blow off valve, have u guys ever done it? :)</STRONG>
That would make your turbo overspin, and if there was a chance of your blowoff valve getting stuck closed for some stupid reason it would overboost and more than likely cause quite a large mushroom cloud to appear from under your hood....

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i have a three speed tri-matic with 3.9 gear ratios, im want to run around 30 psi and im hoping for a low 10 to a hight 9 1/4 mile et hopefully around 138-140 mph.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Id say a T66 should be fine for your application.

It will easily make [email protected] 30psi (And thats on turbo power alone).

And your engine should add around 100-120hp so you should have around 750-800hp @30psi and its maximum boost level is 45psi..
They create maximum boost at around 3800rpm in roller bearing trim so your transbrake and stall should be ok, but if you want it mainly for 1/4 mile id personelly run a 4500rpm stall as you want to be making at least 15psi before you let the transbrake go, and then id be holding on very tightly coz you,ll be in for 1 hell of a ride...

If your looking for more horsepower than that you would probably go for a T70-72-76..

BTW what turbo is on your ride at the moment and what hp and 1/4,s it running....

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
t-66 is cheaper too I have a 60-1 and it does about 520 to the wheels

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
at the moment it is a t72, i just had a t66 but i thought i would go a bit bigger. i have never raced the car, i want to sort it out 100% before i race it. i have my own dyno and i havent yet dynoed it yet with the t72 but im hoping for big h.p.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Is your T72 a roller bearing, if so what rpm is it making full boost, i know a T66 makes full boost around 3800rpm in roller bearing guise, so when does the T72 make full boost.
It should be around 4500rpm in roller bearing form i beleive. so therefore it would make your stall a little small...

What do you think of the T72 is it worth the extra money compared to the T66 and can you feel a big difference between the two..

BTW what RWHP was it making with the T66 and at what boost was it on when you made those numbers....

And lastly what 1/4 times were you getting with the T66..

Why im asking all these questions is because we have just put a T66 roller bearing on a 6 speed supra at it goes like a bat out of hell.(have not dynoed it as yet)
And the reason is i told my freind to get the T72 instead but he was told by turbonetics that the T66 was quite adequate to get the low 10 high 9,s without NOS he desires, so out of curiosity i want to know if there is much of a difference Hp wise between the 2 and seeing you,ve had a T66 and now a T72 you should know better than i...thanks

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
no its not a roller bearing, with the t66 i got 540 rwhp on 30-32 psi, i havent yet dynoed it yet with the t72 but it feels a bit stronger, i was suprised that there was no difference is lag, it gets boost around 4200 rpm, btw its not a supra that i have its a VL calias. where are you from a9x?

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Im from washington D.C..

BTW what is a calais??are they made by toyota??do they look like a supra?what is the body weight supra,s are around 3600-3700 pounds or around 1650-1700kg,s

We are hoping for around the 600rwhp give or take, but we will have to wait and see. We(or he)i might add has a ceramic ball bearing T66 with a .81 exhaust housing and im really impressed with it but i would have liked to try the T72, but they (Turbonetics)recommended the T66 as the biggest turbo to run on a street car for everyday purposes(and thats in ball bearing form that is)and seeing,s how he drives it to work everyday he didnt want to spoil its driving characteristics....

And lastly i take it in your 1st post that yours is a .84 exhaust housing is that correct....Is that on your T72 or was that on your T66, or did you get the same size exhaust housing on both the turbo,s you had...Thanks

P.S...let us know what RWHP figure you get with the T72....Thanks again...

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
a9x give me your e-mail adress and i will send you a pic of the car. its made by a holden and they come out with a nissan engine. yes i kept the same exaust housing on it with both turbo's.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes platnm that would be great, are they pics of your car with the T72 on it or with the T66...my email is [email protected]

thanks steve.

[ June 04, 2001: Message edited by: A9X ]

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
a9x do you have another e-mail address the one you gave me doesnt seem to recieve any e-mail. thanks

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
HI PLATNUM I THINK THE BEST TURBO YOU NEED IS A T66 I HAVE ONE IN MY FORD MAVRICK AND IT WORKS GREAT I THINK T72 IS TO GIG AND VERY LAGInull[/LIST]

1 - 20 of 26 Posts