• 2JZ-GTE

Votes: 31 77.5%
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey people.

had an interesting talk to another JZA70 Owner here in Auckland, New Zealand.

We started talking about the 2JZ swap thats taking place in my garage at the present time.

He tried every avenue to talk me out of it. Saying that the 2JZ was more expensive to modd etc.

Hes running about 20psi on 1 ceramic and 1 steel shafted CT12A's, and managing 12's on the qarter...

no replacement for displacement... right?

So what you think?

·
Classic Cars = Secks
490 Posts
ma71supraturbo said:
where's the 7m option?
:stupid:. For us U.S./Canada owners modding the 1jz is much more expensive then the 2jz; and the 2jz front clip is worth as much as our cars.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ma71supraturbo said:
where's the 7m option?
1JZ or 2JZ...

im not wanting to downgrade :p

This is for my JZA70 and i'll only put a JZ series engine in it.

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,352 Posts
2JZ. 3.0L vs. 2.5L, same series engine, I don't think there would be a choice in my mind. Plus more companies make upgrade parts for the 2JZ, because it was is much more widespread use (performance wise) across the globe. (Hello MKIV ;))

·
Over 10 years on SF....
7,892 Posts
2jz-gte. Both are good though, but like I said last time if I were in your position I'd just get a 2jz block.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
2jz+V160. Swap it and be done with it. Im a high hp and top speed freak so, this is JMO. Ill be doing this swap soon.

·
ƒ=1/2π(√k/m)
10,160 Posts
Personally.... it's cool to see more 1jz-gte s... But for brute force, and power, the 2j is .5 more liters, and a lot of shops are used to 2jz s from mk4s

I guess I like what is a little more rare.

·
2/3 HP to the Paws
1,519 Posts
MrOizo said:
He tried every avenue to talk me out of it. Saying that the 2JZ was more expensive to modd etc.
:bsflag:

If anything, the reverse is true.

Hes running about 20psi on 1 ceramic and 1 steel shafted CT12A's, and managing 12's on the qarter...
I hope he likes dead turbos. CT12's will not last long if used for prolonged periods beyond 18psi.

no replacement for displacement... right?
:agreed:

I'd say if you were building a track-only race car and had plans to build the head and crank the rev limit up to 10-12k or so, the 1jz would be the better choice given its shorter stroke, and also given the fact that it would rarely be driven under 4k rpm.

However, for anything that's going to see the street at some point, the 2jz (or 7m) is a far better choice. Longer stroke + more torque = more fun and less driving like a honda owner. You can also spool significantly larger turbos faster and more easily if big power is what you're after.

·
on vacation
3,062 Posts
As simba said...it matter's as to what you're going to do with the car. The 1jz-GTE was developed as a true twin turbo track engine. It's purpose was to spend it's life above 5000rpm and be in the twisties. The 2jz was developed for a completely different purpose. It's sequential turbo system was developed to produce the majority of it's torque down low in the power band. This makes it better for typical daily driving cruising, and it's the reason they're monters at the strip. So, again, it depends on what you want to do with the car.

Tuning and such, both engines have similar capabillities, but the differences in their purposes are worlds apart.

edit...beings we don't know what you plan on doing with the car I can't vote.

·
I are a member
318 Posts
The 2jz gets my vote here. In your situation you could just do the 1.5jz, the 2jz block while keeping the 1jz head. Not much in the wiring changes, just a few sensors on the block.

·
aka FredMk3
586 Posts
My vote goes for the 2jz(7m) for the big torque down low and the ability to spool bigger turbo. We need torque to move our heavy cars! ;)

·
on vacation
3,062 Posts
Re: Re: What do you prefer, 1JZ or 2JZ?

Simba said:
:bsflag:

If anything, the reverse is true.

He lives in a place where there is a current market for the 1jz. In the states we never had the 1jz as a stock engine, there for here, as far as modding in general, it's much easier to go with the 2jz. Costs of mods and such where you aren't really a factor...if you can afford one then you can the other.

I hope he likes dead turbos. CT12's will not last long if used for prolonged periods beyond 18psi.
ditto...15+psi is bad news for the ceramics...
[/QUOTE]

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
1jz... ill take higher rpm at any cost at this point...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts