Supra Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be in the market for another supra in the next couple of months. Ever since I had my first supra, I've kept my eye on the market. There are several sites that have supras in the 50 to 70 and up range. Alot of these cars seem to be for sale for months and at times years off and on. I know that when someone puts 30 k in a low mileage supra, they have a car that seems to be worth 50 or 60 k. But it seems like no one is snatching these up.

When people are pricing 95 supra's in the same ball park as 02 911's and such, are they looking for a group of buyers that doesn't exist? How long will it take for someone asking 50k for their supra to realize that they may sell it for 35k?

I am not trying to ruffle any ones feathers here. I am just curious. It seems like most of the cars that I am interested in are priced in the 40's. I make a pretty good living, but could not justify a 40k fun toy car. I assume most 17 year old dreamers are from plopping down 50 large also. So what types of people are buying these "high dollar" supras?

·
Super Moderator
10,808 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ken, your post on page two pretty much answered my question. I just hope I won't offend anyone when I offer 30k for a 50k supra that's been sitting for 8 months on sale :)

Obviously the supra can still fetch a relatively outrageous price. And the car is worth whatever you can get. But a 1993 is still gonna have 1993 problems and repairs. When someone puts down 40k for an 8 to 13 year old car you've gotta be ready for suprises.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Six-n-twins said:
Ken, your post on page two pretty much answered my question. I just hope I won't offend anyone when I offer 30k for a 50k supra that's been sitting for 8 months on sale :)

Obviously the supra can still fetch a relatively outrageous price. And the car is worth whatever you can get. But a 1993 is still gonna have 1993 problems and repairs. When someone puts down 40k for an 8 to 13 year old car you've gotta be ready for suprises.
For the power and output of these cars you would be suprise as to the durability of a 10+ year old car.. that is why the price can be justified.. a well put together machine...

·
Bad RSP supra
1,089 Posts
If someone has put 40-50k into a 93-95 or whatever year with higher mileage more then likely everything has been replaced or a good portion of it. so the 50-70k would really be worth it. you just gotta find that one right buyer

·
Registered
422 Posts
Larrabee said:
If someone has put 40-50k into a 93-95 or whatever year with higher mileage more then likely everything has been replaced or a good portion of it. so the 50-70k would really be worth it. you just gotta find that one right buyer
Sorry its a off topic. How is your car running? look like you have a good set up in there. Im Tri from milwaukee, i seen you around couple of times but never have a chance to talk to you. Nice car bros.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Sometimes when you have a car for sale for a long time you have a seller like me. I have a terrific low mileage 98 TT. Everyone that sees it believes it is extremely well done. I have won several car shows (NOPI etc), and the car has never been abused - ever. I really want to sell it for business reasons, but I don't HAVE TO SELL IT, so I am waiting for the right buyer. I have had numerous offers that I don't feel are acceptable. I am not trying to find a "sucker", but I am looking for someone that knows what they are looking at and appreciates the fact that everything done on the car has been done with great care and no compromises.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
BARTON said:
Sometimes when you have a car for sale for a long time you have a seller like me. I have a terrific low mileage 98 TT. Everyone that sees it believes it is extremely well done. I have won several car shows (NOPI etc), and the car has never been abused - ever. I really want to sell it for business reasons, but I don't HAVE TO SELL IT, so I am waiting for the right buyer. I have had numerous offers that I don't feel are acceptable. I am not trying to find a "sucker", but I am looking for someone that knows what they are looking at and appreciates the fact that everything done on the car has been done with great care and no compromises.

I can understand that. But I get the impression that the majority of these guys are people who got too deep too fast and before they realize it they have an empty bank account. The price of a single turbo kit is alluring. Go single for 5 grand. Don't forget to mention the other 20 to 30 for supporting mods and shop time! Then they try to get out what they've put into it. And rarely do you get out what you've put in. And if you have a super premium car, like yours. Then you are courting a handful of buyers that have 80to 90 k to spend on a "shop" car.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Evolutionist said:
For the power and output of these cars you would be suprise as to the durability of a 10+ year old car.. that is why the price can be justified.. a well put together machine...

Exactly why I have 35k burning a hole in my pocket waiting to get another one :)

·
Registered
682 Posts
Six-n-twins said:
I can understand that. But I get the impression that the majority of these guys are people who got too deep too fast and before they realize it they have an empty bank account. The price of a single turbo kit is alluring. Go single for 5 grand. Don't forget to mention the other 20 to 30 for supporting mods and shop time! Then they try to get out what they've put into it. And rarely do you get out what you've put in. And if you have a super premium car, like yours. Then you are courting a handful of buyers that have 80to 90 k to spend on a "shop" car.
I think you are right on in many cases. It is easy to spend a lot more than you will ever get out of a car, especially if you have to have everything done for you. I know I have at least $20k more in my car than I will ever get out and this is not the first car I have done this with. But when you are truly love cars, I replaced all my blood with race fuel when I was about 15, it happens. But I can think of a lot worse things to do with my money and I enjoy a fast car as much as anyone who has ever enjoyed one. Supra's and other cars like them are not cheap to mod or just make general repairs on and lots of guys don't consider that when they buy a car. That is why when I find a car I want, I also ask myself does the guy I am buying the car from have the financial "ability" to repair this thing correctly or has he short cut everything. That is something everyone ought to do in my opinion when you are buying a car like a Supra, just like you need repair and service history. I won't buy a car without them.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Can you post link of your 98TT for sale?

BARTON said:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts