Supra Forums banner

What system would you like?

• HandsFree Keyless FOB w/hidden Key + Smart Push Start Button

Votes: 242 69.7%
  • Smart Push Start Button ONLY (must use with a separate alarm system to lock/unlock doors)

Votes: 53 15.3%
  • For Wireless FOB: Walk Near Car = automatic lock/unlock doors

Votes: 78 22.5%
  • For Wireless FOB: Must touch car to lock/unlock doors

Votes: 67 19.3%

What do you think?: KEYLESS / Smart start for Supras

127K views 542 replies 185 participants last post by  Trdsupra93 
#1 · (Edited)
UPDATE: 08 / 13 / 15

Making some progress on a newer version. Here is the new feature changes:

1. No RFID / auto-unlock feature. Due to the nature of how this system works, it lends itself to being more of an annoyance based on feedback from customers (they usually disable it)
2. Will come with a Supra key fob with integrated blank key. Painted silver/clear to start, perhaps no paint if you like to custom paint them yourselves.
3. OEM-like start button, designed to fit in the Supra key cylinder hole without ANY modifications: Just remove the key cylinder
4. Two command modules: Door lock/unlock, and smart push start button.

Push start button functions are the same, listed in detail throughout this thread. They were developed with a tuner in mind, being that you have the option of continuous cranking "hands free" while doing compression checks, etc. for 15sec, or standard engine start whilst taping button without holding.

Push start will only function when doors are unlocked using my door lock command module. If someone breaks in and unlocks the doors through other means, or picks your door lock and opens the door, the start button will remain DISABLED, and your factory alarm will function as intended with its own protections. The unit comes with some alarm-like functionality and can be used as a replacement alarm system, although very basic.

When you lock the doors using my command module, the OEM alarm will become active if still available. Opposite is true when you unlock.

5. Ignition harness for Supra plug-n-play functionality: No need to cut ignition wires.
6. All wiring and wiring instructions for the Supra.
7. 1 year support / 30day money back

Cost is $495 shipped anywhere in the US. It takes 15 man hours to assemble and test each one, and 6 hours to print all the plastic parts (3d printed). There has been many hours of R&D to develop this, and finally parts in low volume for this type of work tend to be much more expensive than your typical $50 Viper alarm system sold by the thousands using cheap Chinese labor.

I will update this post once I have one or two ready to ship.
UNPAINTED if requested:

Special TRD button upon request

UPDATE: 08 / 03 / 15

Damn, 7 years since the last update! Going through unreliable suppliers, causing constant redesign, thus nothing gets done. Chinese MFGs here one day, gone the next.

No real news for those who've waited this long. I don't expect this to gain much traction unless I find more spare time. Fun project to watch if you have the patience.

POLL OPTIONS:

Trying to make up my mind:

(A) Keyfob w/hidden key + smart start button = You get a Keyfob with a hidden blank key. Fob communicates to box in car. Once your 2-3 feet from the car, it automatically locks/unlocks the doors and enables the start button. It also allows anti-carjacking. If the fob is not in the car within 30 seconds of you starting it OR opening then closing the door, cuts the ignition via the start button.
(B) Smart start button ONLY = Just the button and circuitry. It will need a signal from another alarm to enable itself and let you start your car. You would use your alarm to lock/unlock the doors. This is the best option for those of us who have a nice COMPUSTAR alarm system with the 2-way pager. The hidden keyfob is nice, but you'll end up carrying to large fobs everywhere you go.
(C) Automatic lock/unlock as you approach the car = Best convenience if you choose the keyfob option, but may become annoying if your working on your car. You can cover the keyfob in aluminum wrap, turn off the RFID via a button, or keep the key near the car.
(D) Must touch car to lock/unlock = Small hidden sensor near glass. Keyfob enables this sensor. You touch sensor to lock/unlock the doors. Issue here is you *can* leave the fob in the car and it can still lock on you.

UPDATE: 07 / 23 / 08

Video PART 2: Full operation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2n6F-owxgyY

Here's a topic: Youtube VIDEO showing my progress-> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTDHLUd_lls

Talk amongst yourselves...
-------------------------------------------------
Final button

Prototype unit - fairly complete minus the button.

Circuit progress ;)

---------------Original Post---------------------
I'm almost done working on a product and am looking for any interested parties.

First off, these things generally cost $2000-$3000 if you buy all the parts seperately. I can probably get this down to a few hundred dollars.

What: Auto push button start with auto-detect keyfob. Key the fob in your pocket. Get close to your car, open your doors w/o a key. Get into your car, push the button, car starts. Key only needed for opening the door manually.

Included:

RFID fob - 128bit encryption, new code generated each time you walk away from the car. I haven't yet decided how to incorporate the Supra key inside (like most do). I may request you ship me a copy of your key so that I can create the key-in-fob desgn or supply a kit that allows you to cut your key and slip it in.. or send me a remote that you use (alarm remote) where I can insert the frequency detection guts inside for a clean design.

Smart Push button - You push once, turns on accessories. Push again, turns them off. Anytime you put your foot on the brake and push the button, it cranks. Stops cranking after the tach signal reaches idle. Push again, turns off. The button will only function if the fob is in your car. I have yet to develop a column-lock solenoid if it can even be made. I may have to look at late-model toyotas to see if there is anything already available. If not, I can still offer this unit with the intention that the user resolves column-lock themselves.

Theft concern: It will be component based. If your a thief and you know the supra wiring, a few cuts and twists you can start the car. I plan to include a seperate connection for the fuel pump. You can always use this system with your current alarm, so there is that option.

I am looking at a few weeks for a test mule to be completed. As with anything, I would not be responsible for car theft, just like a turbo supplier isn't responsible for you dying due to excessive HP.

See less See more
#4 ·
Maybe I missed something, but what is the point of this if you already have say a Viper/Clifford autostart with all the goodies on your car that only costs $500 anyways...

#7 ·
Nothing is available on the market yet. You can grab bits and pieces from other cars, but its costly.

The difference between this and say a Viper alarm system is your key fob stays in your pocket. You just walk up to the car and the doors will open (or you can press a button on the door... I'm still tinkering with a method for this).

Also, unlike a car alarm, this will add another theft deterrant feature. Since the key/fob is ALWAYS in your pocket, if you get carjacket, I will have this system poll for your fob every once and a while. If the car is running and the fob is not around the car, it will start a count-down sequence and disable ignition.

There obviously is a liability issue with doing this, so I may add this as an option. The trigger would be opening and closing a door. Anytime that occurs, while the car is running, it checks for the fob in existance. Also, if you get jacked, you will be able to push a button and start the shutdown sequence manually.

It looks like the supra has an electronic-steering lock, which would simplify install.

#8 ·
sounds good but, could we trace our car from a hand-held unit that has a couple of miles of range? Im assuming this is an alarm as well right?

#11 ·
No this has nothing to do with tracking lol. Get a clifford 210c / viper 210v for that. Dre I'm in man this sounds SICK. I want to do everything and anything possible to bring my car into this milenium as nothing out right now even comes close to interesting me compared to my supra when it comes to looks and performance. However I would like some of the creature comforts :). Is there anyway to make the ignition dependent on having the module hooked up? So in other words not only would the fob need to be in range of the module, but if the module becomes disconnected (ie a theif trying to bypass it) the car won't start? Not really sure how you would do this but maybe you have an idea?

#14 ·
Ugh... MKIV steering lock is definately mechanical. The hassle in removing the mechanism itself will make this profect a chore for anyone. As it sits, you need to insert key and turn to ACC position. This disables the steering lock AND allows you to pull out the key cylinder. I have a push-button start that fits in that cylinder. So, folks would lose the steering lock feature.

I may be able to create an actuated mechanism to deploy the oem steering lock, but it looks to be difficult. I may have to develop a separate electronic lock which would bolt to the lower portion of your steering column. Any device can be defeated by a theif, but if it takes 5 minutes to disable this device, than thats 5 more minutes a theif has to waste.

They say thiefs can defeat steering locks by jabbing on the steering wheel. Any confirmation this is easy to do on the Supras?

#16 ·
LOL, just a little plug for yourself there.

OK, I am as much interested in new electronic innovations as the next if not more, but for some reason I just don't see why everyone is soooo excited about this. I mean, are people that lazy these days that they can't put the key in the ignition ??

I don't know... maybe I am just not getting the gist of all this...

#17 ·
It's luxury man :). Plus it'll be nice not having your keys dangling scratching up your dash

#18 ·
KEYS !?!?!?! Only the supra key when in that car man... Separate key chain man !!

#19 · (Edited)
Just got around to removing the key-cylinder. By positioning it in ACC, you disable the steering column lock. I have a few options:

1) Leave the entire key-cylinder in place and generate a 'fake' key that is shaved off or has a short stub to it. The user can leave it in ACC whenever they feel like, and leave the key in the cylinder. They can still use the push button (mounted somewhere else) to start the car. The key never needs to be used. BUT, the user can turn the key to off (activating the steering wheel lock) and remove it, for added protection. The key would not have any electrical connection, only used for steering wheel lock operation.

2) Remove the cylinder all together, disabling the steering wheel lock permenantly. The push button would fit nicely in the key-cylinder pocket. You get a nice clean installation. If you are like me and feel steering-wheel locks are pointless and use something like the Alpha-lock (massive lock you install on your wheel), your in better shape.

3) #2, but develop a solenoid steering wheel lock. There is a problem with this. Currently, Corvettes have serious issues where the solenoids malfunciton. There is a high chance your solenoid will malfunction and you can't turn your wheel. OR, vice versa, anything solenoid operated can be defeated by a thief who understands 12vdc motors or anything solenoid operation. They can theoretically bypass the solenoid and unlock the steering wheel.

I'm leaning towards #2. Eliminates the steering wheel lock all together, but you'll have to use some other device to lock your car via wheel.

Think about it... what would make sense (cost wise and safety wise). I don't always use my Alpha-lock on the wheel. I figure if I don't have a steering lock, there is still a very high chance the thief can't start my car (or it will take considerable amount of time). They can still push it and turn the car (or tow it).

As for the steering wheel lock device, I took a look at the shaft. There is a portion of it that sticks out near your feet. In lamens terms, you can wedge a 14mm open end wrench in it and that would lock up the shaft. I would have to incorporate a system such as that since drilling into that shaft is a nightmare.

To keep cost down, steering wheel lock would be disabled. Unless... toyota makes a solenoid-type of steering wheel lock assembly unit that would fit onto the Supra steering column. Its not that difficult to remove the entire key-cylinder assembly unit from teh Supra. Requires drilling and using bolt-extractors, can be done from under the dash.

AND, let me add, on my FX which uses no-key start, you actually have to turn the ignition switch (there is not push button start). By detecting your keyfob, there is a small solenoid which enables you to simply turn the key cylinder (no key is needed). It doesn't look easy to adapt this to the Supra key cylinder though.

#20 ·
#21 ·
Interested, lets see how this turns out.
I'd be down for something LS460 style card key, OEM appearance in the car.

#22 ·
#23 ·
definitely want a set - don't really care about the costs... had it on previous supras (selfmade) but never was 100% perfect. :(

DEFINITELY down for that TRD button :)

#24 ·
TRD button is the same as the Avalon button, just a red face. I think ALL the toyota buttons are the same. I've been looking for buttons that fit in the Supra key-cylinder space for a clean fit. They are all too big, including the TRD button. S2000 is also too big. The only one that fits isa Ford GT button ($130 on ebay). I may have to build my own button.

I still have to confirm that with the key lock cylinder removed, the steering column is unlocked permenantly. Otherwise, it will look gay having the key lock cylinder in the same location with a button in some other location, AND needing your key all the time to unlock the steering wheel.

#25 ·
In an attempt to "update" my car, I installed an s2000 switch in the cigarette lighter location. I wanted to give the button some sort of legitimacy, so I cut the ignition wire so that you can't just turn the key to crank... you HAVE to use the button. I do have to insert the key to unlock the column. Some will argue that it's a waste of time... and it is I suppose, but it does look good. I always get compliments on it. It looks better than the lighter anyway.

I would definitly be interested in this. Subscribed! :D

#28 ·
Working on it.. trying to get the right RFID unit.

Idealy, you would push the button once to shut the car off. If you have your foot on the brake and do the same, it will keep you in ACC. No foot on brake, car turns off completely. I'm creating a microchip that will handle that all. The RFID (key fob in pocket) will be an addon.

#31 ·
never really understood the big push for this.. yet again i was one who was working on trying to make an iris scanner fit in the visor, and start the car, have presets depending who was driving for seat, radio, anything else i could tie into. Started getting really costly, and would be out of the range of the normal person being able to afford. Not to mentions all the fun hurdles i had to figure a way around.

Getting it to start isnt that hard, but all the fun details were.

#35 ·
u gotta pay 2 play ... 170 is not too bad for a sweet and oem-looking design !

I'm a 100% in ... just let me know when you have the unit ready :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.