Supra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what bit or hole saw do you guys use with grease to drill the oil return line. Do you use a drill bit or hole saw? If use hole saw, there a drill bit that hole saw is attached to and that bit has to go through the surface before the hole saw even touch the surface you're drilling.

Can someone describe in detail the process of drilling the block using grease to catch metal shavings.

I did the search but only found superficial description. Thanx.

·
Registered
951 Posts
just use a big drill bit. one that fits in the hole. then use a 6mm tap for the 2 holes next to it.

i wouldn't do it that way. i would drop the oil pan

·
Hardtopper
13,043 Posts
v12oom said:
what bit or hole saw do you guys use with grease to drill the oil return line. Do you use a drill bit or hole saw? If use hole saw, there a drill bit that hole saw is attached to and that bit has to go through the surface before the hole saw even touch the surface you're drilling.

Can someone describe in detail the process of drilling the block using grease to catch metal shavings.

I did the search but only found superficial description. Thanx.
keep cleaning the bit and adding more grease... take your time.... im doing this probably in a week or so.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are u going to use a drill bit, if so, what size?

Or are you going to use a hole saw, if so, what size?

Post your experience and what you encountered during the drilling and tapping.

·
TT This
917 Posts
I used a 1/2 or 5/8th hole saw to cut mine, can't remember which..just measure the opening and get one the same size.

I did the grease and re-grease, drill slowly method. Worked fine for me. The little chunk of metal stays on the drill bit inside the holw saw when it gets all the way through so that was cool.

I was anal though of course and I dropped the oil pan to be sure shit wasn't in there. It was pretty clean, just a few little slivers.

Don't forget to get yourself a 90 degree drill adapter, I couldn't fit my drill in there straightways.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So when use the hole saw, the pilot drill has to go through first before the saw touches the surface. It's OK for the pilot drill to go through since there's gonna be some shavings from the pilot drill.

·
TT This
917 Posts
v12oom said:
So when use the hole saw, the pilot drill has to go through first before the saw touches the surface. It's OK for the pilot drill to go through since there's gonna be some shavings from the pilot drill.
Assuming you buy a quality hole saw kit there should be a set screw you can loosen to adjust the length of the drill bit in side the hole saw. Shorten it so it is just longer than the teeth.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I used a drill bit and found a nice surprise at the end.
When you get to the end, go really slow, and be ready to pull back on it as soon as it goes through.
I wasn't ready, and the drill got 'sucked in" when it went through.
I don't think the drill was long enough to hit anything inside, but it scared the shit out of me.

~Alan

K

·
0 Posts
lol. i used a larger drill bit and a vacuum. :) drilled slow and had the vacuum tip right at the hole. worked for me. :)

MIke

1 - 12 of 12 Posts