Supra Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious as to what ECU to get, 94 TT 6spd, possibly a single set up at some point but as of now, running on upgrades twins.

iveheard good things about the HKS fcon VPRO as well as the less expensive AEM EMS, also curious as to which boost controller and turbo timers everyone is using?

any insight would be wonderful, thank you

(posted in tech, but not much action has occurred there)
 

·
teh DJ
Joined
·
413 Posts
EBC and TT is more of a personal preference...even a cheap MBC will do the job...it seems like most MKIV owners use the EVC controller...as for the TT, pretty much anything will do cause they all perform the same function...as for engine management, the AEM EMS is proven...if it was me, I'll go with the AEM EMS...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
112 Posts
ECU : Electromotive Tec3r
Boost Controller : Blitz SBC-ID with input to Tec3r (i.e. change boost = change certain map params on the fly)
Turbo Timer : None - I do this manually.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,942 Posts
HKS V-Pro for the ECU :)

And you might want to look more into pricing because if your going to get the car tuned by someone then the AEM really is not that much cheaper. I'm in the process now of making an ECU decision. After getting all the parts needed for both setups your talking about a few hundred dollars difference and thats mostly because the HKS knock/amp is rather expensive (because it is one of the best). If your going to do the tuning yourself (no easy task for most) then the AEM will be significantly cheaper. The HKS you HAVE to pay for a tuner but it is garenteed to be done right and not some hack job. Just something to think about.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
JGsupraTT said:
HKS V-Pro for the ECU :)

And you might want to look more into pricing because if your going to get the car tuned by someone then the AEM really is not that much cheaper. I'm in the process now of making an ECU decision. After getting all the parts needed for both setups your talking about a few hundred dollars difference and thats mostly because the HKS knock/amp is rather expensive (because it is one of the best). If your going to do the tuning yourself (no easy task for most) then the AEM will be significantly cheaper. The HKS you HAVE to pay for a tuner but it is garenteed to be done right and not some hack job. Just something to think about.
good point, there isnt really anyone here that can tune the EMS, and ive heard that its much easier to tune yourself than the Vpro, but we do have an HKS guy here that tunes supras with the Vpro only, but then again he's the only one and charges a fortune...my buddy said $5500 cdn installed (like $5000 USD) f oir the Vpro, and i can pick up an EMS for about $1500 (not installed, but was attempting to do a good part of it myself...good idea??? bad idea???

im not by any means a pro at this, i really have no idea, just plug and play, i can figure shit out quite well and i have a few buddies that tune their stuff, but then again they arent' pro at all either , i donno?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
721 Posts
Ecu

Haltech E6X
 

·
FIREFIGHTER RIEN
Joined
·
147 Posts
i don't know about not having a turbo timer. i do but i guess that makes me lazy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,730 Posts
check my siggy sig sig!! :)
 

·
Doin' the Monster Mash
Joined
·
156 Posts
Boost controller: Apex'i AVC-R
Turbo Timer: Blitz
Don't have need for an aftermarket computer just yet but when I do I'll be getting a Apex'i Power FC as I know a good tuner for them down here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,098 Posts
2HIGH~PSI said:
im not by any means a pro at this, i really have no idea, just plug and play, i can figure shit out quite well and i have a few buddies that tune their stuff, but then again they arent' pro at all either , i donno?
No offense but thats a horrible idea. If you have no tuning experience and your going to go with a complicated EMS then you should shell out the money and pay a GOOD tuner to tune it. If you make a mistake you will be shelling out for a new motor very soon.

I'm not sure if you have read this but you should.
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=230779&highlight=con



as for me ...

ECU- Stock.....soon to be F-Con V-Pro
Boost controller- EVC EZII
Turbo Timer- Greddy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,942 Posts
notlownf said:
No offense but thats a horrible idea. If you have no tuning experience and your going to go with a complicated EMS then you should shell out the money and pay a GOOD tuner to tune it. If you make a mistake you will be shelling out for a new motor very soon.

I'm not sure if you have read this but you should.
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=230779&highlight=con



as for me ...

ECU- Stock.....soon to be F-Con V-Pro
Boost controller- EVC EZII
Turbo Timer- Greddy

I completely agree with this guy.


As far as the OP saying the v-pro is harder to tune. It's actually easier to setup and tune from what I've heard (since the stock ecu still controls basic things) but takes a little to find the right people. Also I'd like to know how your going to get everything you need for a AEM for 1,500. your leaving out alot of stuff. CDI? Wideband? Sensors? Hopefully you get the point. By the time your done buying new AEM parts your looking into the $2,500-$2,800 range. Go price just the parts for the V-Pro and you will see that they are slightly more expensive straight from HKS themselves at slightly over 3k with one of the best wideband, the HKS A/F knock amp . Actually the V-pro head unit itself is cheaper then the AEM that retails for 1,500-1,700 depending on where you look. Did I also mention you don't HAVE to run a HKS Knock Amp although it is really nice. You could run any wideband that is capable to plug into it, like an AEM wideband unit and I'd bet a FJO would work as well. You could easily get the V-Pro parts for the same price you will spend on an AEM. So my conclusion to all this is (after running through numbers for months now) that the price of parts have no affect on my decision.

What makes your decision here is do you want to tune it yourself or not. Like I said for most this is not a good idea and it seems to me you are going to have to have someone do the tuning for you after you screw it up. If this is the case then you have to factor that into your pricing of the AEM. The AEM will still end up slightly cheaper then going with a V-Pro setup but the difference will be marginal. This is because you will most likely be able to install a AEM unit yourself and you pay to have a V-Pro installed by the tuner. Also because there are such a limited number of V-Pro tuners they can charge a little more. The other thing to consider is how many times your going to be upgrading parts on the car. Are you a "do it all at once" person or a "part by part" person. Also don't forget ot factor in that MOST people with AEM have to get retunes even when they are not changing anything on there car.

In the end I'd say the price differences are to small for that to make my decision for me. I'm not going to tell you what you should get because that is up to you (also i don't want to start a flame war). But if you don't have a clue what your doing with an AEM (which you don't) then your going to have to pay to get it done. Your looking at a $1,500 box and thinking thats all your going to have to spend. Your wrong. There are more parts you HAVE to buy and since you can't tune your going to have to pay for it. Because of these FACTS I think you should make your decision on what YOU think is a better unit. And then have someone tune it for you so you don't destroy your car. You'll be happier if you do, I promise. :)
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
10,801 Posts
V-Pro and HKS Knock/Amp or V-Pro and FJO. You are in Alberta, so I would get quotes from Reg Riemer (probably who you were referring to), Obiwan and John Reed who's based in Portland, Oregon and not too terribly far from you. Among the three, you should be able to get a pretty good turnkey deal.

As JGSupraTT said, take the Knock/Amp out the equation and the pricing is very comparable. Good luck.

Ken.
 

·
Papichulin
Joined
·
305 Posts
AEM EMS
Turbosmart eBoost2 EBC
Greddy Turbo Timer

Single turbo car. Works great.

The important thing is the tune per se. Not so much the ECM.
If you'll keep a stable setup almost anything will work well when properly tuned.
I keep changing stuff and tuner is great so just went AEM when swithced from Garret twins to Greddy single. Love computers, datalogging, and tuning myself sometimes so AEM is perfect for me. As stated above, the AEM is not really less expensive in the end and absolute do it yourself types get into trouble often. I also just removed the Haltech and the Electromotive ignition which also worked great. No real performance advantage IMO but I can have several maps for different situations. Mostly a map for race fuel and a map for 93oct gas. Could do same with the Haltech from within the ECM (no need for a laptop) but with the AEM the ECU maps have the timing programmed in them. Dr Jekill comes home, fills it up, switches programs and Mr Hyde comes out kind of deal with the juicy juice.

I don't know if you could switch tunes on the HKS for different fuels and/or setups. What I do know about it is from several also very happy V-Pro tuned cars also making great power and behaving docile around town. I also do not know if the HKS will handle nitrous the way AEM can. I am not even sure if nitrous control will be through the ECM at present time.

Since on stock twins you also have the stock harness for the stock computer so MoTec PnP is another option. Bottom line is you having fun with the car. And stock twins on stock computer can be just that. Stock twins with a standalone I do not see much benefit.

If money is a concern save up for a long time and do it all at once.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,942 Posts
eduarprmd said:
I don't know if you could switch tunes on the HKS for different fuels and/or setups. What I do know about it is from several also very happy V-Pro tuned cars also making great power and behaving docile around town. I also do not know if the HKS will handle nitrous the way AEM can. I am not even sure if nitrous control will be through the ECM at present time.
I know that you can switch maps on the V-Pro as long as you also add in the HKS mix controller. For the 5k price tag he would be getting EVERYTHING.

I'm not so sure about nitrous control. My gut tells me it handles it but I'm not sure exactly how. I'm sure someone else would now more about this.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top