Supra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed my brakes out yesterday and after looking at my suspension I decided that is what I need to do next. I am pretty set on picking up some megan coilovers however what I want to know is while I am replacing those what else should I pick up (bushings, etc) that will revive how my car handles/hits bumps and what not during normal daily driving. I just feel like the supra is riding pretty hard but the only thing that I have to compare to it was my 350Z that I owned prior to this and my Xterra that I have now.......

·
Registered
282 Posts
Handling?.........GO BIG OR GO HOME

Tires
Wheels so u can get more contact area....id go with ccws with 285s in the front and 325s in the rear to start with.
Trim your rear fenders tho.
Coilovers
TRD front strut bar
Do-Luck Rear Cross bar
Do-luck Rear Strut tower bar
Sparco Harness Bar
Do-luck floor support bars
TMS adjustable Sway bars or TRD BIG ASS if u can find em used
R2 Racing Bushings front and rear
Lance spec alignment

That should be good to get you started!
I mean you said while your there. Soooo. there ya go!!!!!!!

·
Last stock TT on Earth
625 Posts
Tim's list is good and complete but I will just say that you should consider the R2 Bushing kit first. Those + new coilovers will have huge effect on your handling alone. My bushings on my 97 at 75k miles were pretty worn. Although, I can say that it is A LOT more work to replace the bushings than just the coilovers. It basically requires you disassemble your entire suspension. It's not so fun if you car has some rusty bolts, etc. like mine did. If you got a worn wheel bearning now would be the time to fix that too since the hub will be free from the rest of the suspension.

·
Bad RSP supra
1,089 Posts
Yes the R2 bushing kit is PIMP! I dunno about the choice of coilovers you've picked but i know you can't go wrong with HKS or Tein.

·
iSketch Master!
9,045 Posts
For the most part all the mainstream coilovers seem to be the same stuff as far as what you get, and how they ride. Find one with a spring rate you like and go with it. I'd say do the bushing kit, and get a harness bar and be done for now. All the other stuff can wait. I dunno if it is just my brain thinking it helps or if it actually does work, but I seem to notice a slight diff with a strut bar and the targa off.

I prefer the Bilstien/Hypercoil setup as mentioned in the RR section but that takes some piecing together. Sparco harness bar and Do-Luck RXB won't work together unless you do some modding, FYI.

Also are you on stock suspension? Even if you aren't you shouldn't be hitting bump stops with normal driving. I'm sure just installing coils and those bushings will bring back all the feel since it seems like your current setup is pretty worn.

Alex

·
Registered
238 Posts
My choices for daily driving so far are:

the Bilstein "DIY" coilovers, hopefully installed very soon. I've had stock, Tein CS, and Eibach/Koni's, and am expecting the Bilsteins to be best.

Chassis stiffening makes a noticeable difference, especially on Targas. I have front & rear STB's and Do-luck floor bars. Seriously thinking of springing for the Do-luck Tension Gauge as well, or maybe just a cross bar.

Had a shop (True-Line) install my front suspension arms with new bushings. Made a big difference.

One thing newer cars have that takes the edge off the ride are large, "engineered" bushings at the shock/coilover mounts, usually on the suspension arm.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for all the responses....the bushings were in the plans as well...I am hopiong since I have access to lifts, air tools, press machines, etc that it will make it as easy as possible. Right now from the looks of it the car still has completely stock suspension and is hurting pretty good for some freshening up! I want the car to feel "new" again while on the street. A little stiffer ride from the coilovers being lower will not bother me at all its just seems like the car needs a refresh......if that makes any sense..

·
Registered
282 Posts
285s up front with 325s in the back is fine for daily driving, but u need the right size wheel to support that.....Furthermore with those size tires you will experience tracking with the car, where the car may want to follow groves in the road....but u WILL FEEL GLUED......

I dont know if you bought your suspension yet but HKS Hipermax Rs's would be perfect to keep comfort without sacrificing to much performance compared to the regular hipermaxs.....they also come fully assembled with pillowball mounts....just FYI

i think its worth the extra couple bucks.....

My first post would sum up what you can do....however taking a more economical approach i would do the alignment, hks rs coilovers, r2 bushings, sway bars and a trd strut tower bar to start with

·
Banned
34 Posts
r2 bushings front and rear will have a huge effect on yoru handling. one of the first things i did when i bought my supra and it make it feel and sound (no more squeks or clunks) soo much better on the road. also the allignment i did afterwards with the new bushings im sure helped alot.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts