Supra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So far I have a stock usdm 38,000 mile motor and aem from a wrecked car I picked up at a salvage auction. (6 speed car)

I'm looking to get the most power out of the stock bottom end that will be reliable. I'm guessing 700-750whp???
I am having a custom manifold built and plan on using a GT42.
Do I need...
cams? what is recomended?
What size injectors? Is bigger better since I have the AEM?
stock head, or ported?
3", 3.5", or 4" exhaust?

I want to start looking for the parts I will need used while the car is still getting the body work done.

·
Vigilante Toyo Tech
462 Posts
I'm sure many people will argue with you that "reliable" and stock bottom with 700-750whp dont go together, esp driving it on the street. Just because people can do 1100 -stock bottom end- (silly) whp on a dyno doesnt mean its safe.

If i had to throw out a guess-ta-mate i'd say 600rwhp would be reliable.

680cc inj (min) maybe 720cc (For 600whp)
3 exhaust would work
stock head would work
just lots of boost....

and a 2nd fuel pump...

others too....

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
850cc injectors
4" exhaust - Do it right the first time.
You can hit 700hp on a completely stock head.

·
Banned
2,133 Posts
You can do it with a GT42-74, 95lb injectors (cuz they all cost the same so might as well overshoot a bit), dual pumps, Greddy 3-row, and a good clutch

if you wanna do it reliably then build the bottom end

my car made 600+ rwhp with only a SP74gts, th400, 95lbs, twin pumps, dual walbros, and a greddy 3 row... would be worth a decent amount more on a 6spd car since i was going thru a loose converter

·
Enter The Supra
1,903 Posts
Are you talking 700-750 rwhp at standard boost (like 17 psi for example) or high boost? I'd personally step up to 1000cc injectors to hold that power level, just cause you'll wanna go higher after that mark. Also, throw in some cams, 264's will help out nicely. As others said, no headwork needed at that point.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info. It won't be a daily driven car and I'll probably run about 1/2 110 octane leaded mixed with 94 pump when I plan on beating on it with straight 110 at the track. I know I will want more power later on so I'll probably get the 1000 cc's. I just don't have the $ to build the bottom end. I'll make my own intercooler and plumbing and exhaust. I'll probably have to start with a 4"dp and then split it into dual 3" pipes. I don't think a 4" will fit over the rear axle.

At what point is head work needed?

·
Registered
635 Posts
Thanks for the info. It won't be a daily driven car and I'll probably run about 1/2 110 octane leaded mixed with 94 pump when I plan on beating on it with straight 110 at the track. I know I will want more power later on so I'll probably get the 1000 cc's. I just don't have the $ to build the bottom end. I'll make my own intercooler and plumbing and exhaust. I'll probably have to start with a 4"dp and then split it into dual 3" pipes. I don't think a 4" will fit over the rear axle.

At what point is head work needed?
r u serious about 4" down pipe split to dual 3" piping??? and then what, 2 muflers?

·
Fast Enough, Never Is.
920 Posts
Your going to need a good clutch, heads and bottom end will be fine, you'll need turbo back 4 inch exhaust and there is no way it will fit over the axle, it will go under everything, 1000cc injectors, another fuel pump, the stock one will max out around 500 rwhp.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
r u serious about 4" down pipe split to dual 3" piping??? and then what, 2 muflers?
Yes. It's going in a 70 Cuda.
I guess I forgot to mention that even though it's in my sig.
I need to make impressive power since I know I'll be getting a ton of shit from the old school v8 guys. They won't understand untill I beat them in the 1/4 and then drive home while they are loading their dinosaurs on the trailers.
Here it is before

In a few months it will look similar to this one, only with door handles, a flat hood and probably the stock steel wheels depending on how it looks with them and how much $ I have left.

·
HIGH OFF BOOST
788 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^that will be sick,in my old school life i would rock a dodge over ford,GM anyday

·
Enter The Supra
1,903 Posts
Headwork is something that I've kind of gathered to be an additional powermaker more than a requirement for safety like building the bottom the end is. Seems like people are running stock heads up close to 1000rwhp. Getting a built head definitely helps with increasing redline rpm, making hp, and helping the turbo spool quicker. That's going to be an awesome ride Mike.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Headwork is something that I've kind of gathered to be an additional powermaker more than a requirement for safety like building the bottom the end is. Seems like people are running stock heads up close to 1000rwhp. Getting a built head definitely helps with increasing redline rpm, making hp, and helping the turbo spool quicker. That's going to be an awesome ride Mike.
Thanks I can't wait to get it back, I've always driven fast pieces of Shit. I'll finally have one that turns heads. I just hope I don't have to cut the tunnel to fit the 6 speed. It looks a lot thicker through the middle than the 727 automatic that I just took out. The only other concern is the oil pan sump, I figure I could use a JDM pan if I need it to be front sump.
BTW Ron told me he got the tranny, just waiting on the convertor, thanks.

·
(overspooled)
2,836 Posts
just a suggestion...If you are building that car for the track build it with a th400 from the beginning.....
as far as what you should do to the motor....
264 cams
valve springs retainers
arp hardware (just becuase youre in there)
This will allow a higher redline and give you some more turbo choices...
BTW::I'd probably start looking at some suspension and a rear end....
cool car though, good luck with the build....

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's not a track car. Just like my other cars, it's a street car that I can drive to the track, beat most of the street cars and some of the "drag" cars with, and deliver pizzas in it the next day.
There is a front coil over subframe for the car, but it's out of my price range for now(about $3000) There are plenty of old Dodges running low 1/4 times on stock suspensions. I know it will never be a handler.
The stock rear ends are pretty strong and it already has a 3.55 limited slip. I believe the stock supra is in the 3.2? range. It should be a good rear for the heavier car. If not I have a set of 3.23 gears also.
Does it matter what 264 cams I get? Is there a difference? I noticed people are selling used ones from different manufacturers.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Yes. It's going in a 70 Cuda.
I guess I forgot to mention that even though it's in my sig.
I need to make impressive power since I know I'll be getting a ton of shit from the old school v8 guys. They won't understand untill I beat them in the 1/4 and then drive home while they are loading their dinosaurs on the trailers.
Here it is before

In a few months it will look similar to this one, only with door handles, a flat hood and probably the stock steel wheels depending on how it looks with them and how much $ I have left.
ahhhh i see...that's gonna be one crazy ride

·
(overspooled)
2,836 Posts
there is a difference in cams, all 264's are not equal....the durations are different. I have heard many success stories on the hks 264', but the crowers are much more reasonable. they just haven't been around for a long time.....for what it's worth, I' go with the crowers.....that will help your spool a little bit....I am on stock cams, but have been researching for a little bit and think that's the route I am going.....

with a th400, it might be an easier build and a hell of a lot cheaper and more consistant.....

·
Enter The Supra
1,903 Posts
It has a dana in the back right? I can't remember which dana (dana 60 or an other?) we put on our super stock camaro, but it takes a hell of a beating (3400 lbs./ 760 ft. lbs. tq) and was one of the best things we did to the car for reliability. Much beefier than the chevy 12 bolt and almost as strong as Ford's 9" but without sucking out all the power. The getrags are pretty beefy all around, that's about the only bad thing you can say about them though. Hope the clearance works out. Having two overdrives in a car like that would be awesome. You could even maybe go with deeper gears in the rear end, those cars were all about acceleration. I know we switched a 69 vette from 3.77 to 4.11 and it was a huge difference in 1/4 mile et. Good luck and the torque should be arriving any day.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts