Supra Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
11,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've completely flushed my coolant. It was a 2 day job. Anyways, for the 50/50 mixture I used Deerpark water (the kind they put at your door on the 5 gal jug). I'm not sure if I was supposed to use that. The instructions say "use disstilled water (not drinking or tap)".

So what exactly do they mean by "distilled"?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Distilled water is just that - distilled water (try Google for a more in-depth description). Buy it at just about any grocer, drug store, Wal-Mart, etc...

Bob G.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Distilled water is 100% water and nothing else. No chlorine,no minerals nothing. It is made by cooling off steam till it reforms into water thereby leaving all traces of stuff behind. The water you used is not the right stuff. You can get distilled water anywhere. It will state distilled on the bottle.

·
11,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Like I said, I used Deerpark (spring) water. Is that the wrong kind then? Should I reflush it using a 50/50 mixed of this special "distilled water"?

·
Registered
201 Posts
If you want do things right the system should be flushed by using distilled water and then a 50/50 mix of distilled water/antifreese. Deer park is like tap water with a fancy name. It still has minerals which could eventually clog things up. You drink the Deer Park.

·
11,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jaxx said:
Why was the coolant flush a 2 day job?

Did you convert your urine into water or something? :confused:
I took a day to flush it. Then I drove around with just tap water in the system. Then flushed and drove some more. I wanted to make sure all the green coolant was out. I then left the car for the night, flushed it again the next morning, then added the new coolant mixture.

---------

Bottomline, I'm lazy as fuck and already wasted $60 on coolant (fucking Toyota charged me $20 a bottle here). I don't wanna waste another ~$30 or so on coolant again.

So the bottomline is, can I just stick with what I have. I know people that use garden hose water, so I guess my Deerpark shit is still better right?

·
Registered
201 Posts
I've used tap water before and nothing really bad has happened considering the miles I have (214,000+). But if you want to be a fanatic about it next time use a 50/50 mix of just distilled water with the Toyota antifreese. That is the very best combo. I am lazy also and have not taken my own advise in the past and used tap water at times.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Toyota sells a 50/50 premix already

if not go to the foodstore and look for the aisle with the water jugs, you should see distilled water

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Michael,

Not to get too scientific on you but Deer park may in fact have more dissolved minerals in it then even ordinary tap water. Depending on the aquifer they are pumping from (probably several and then blending). You could measure the conductivity of the coolant you mixed up with a multimeter and see if it falls within spec. If I were you I would get rid of it (properly of course) and use distilled water. I actually use lab grade DI water, expensive as hell, but I get it free... I know it sucks because you already mixed it with $$ Toyota coolant.

(yes I am a scientist)

later man.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Leave it and next year change the coolant and get the distilled. Like everyone said, distilled is pure. Spring water is just water out of the ground with an expensive price and still has minerals in it. Over a long time, the minerals will attach themselves to the inside of the radiator and engine. Good fresh coolant will go a long way to prevent it. I just wouldn't leave it in a long time, like 5 yrs. I change mine yearly.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.