Supra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
I'll nevAr go single!
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. Spark Plugs - Any suggestions? Would NGK Iridiums be good for the 1J? Part numbers?

2. Oil - I'm thinking Royal Purple, again, any thoughts or suggestions? Synthetic or Normal?

3. Oil Weight - I have no idea.

4. Coolant - I'm thinking Toyota brand for that, they have Red stuff right? Should I get what they put in the MKVI's?

5. Red Line Water Wetter - Yay or Nay?

6. Tranny Fluid - 75W90 like normal? I'll proboly go Royal Purple on that, did in my last supra.

·
Not so boring anymore
7,085 Posts
I run
1. ngk bkr7e
2. Mobil 1
3 15w-50
4. Prestone
5. I dont have it, its your choice, but mine stays nice a cool
6. yea, 75w-90.. im going to swtich to redline shockproof eventually..

·
67mm of pleasure
852 Posts
I do:

1. NGK 6097 gapped .28
2. mobil 1
3. 10w30
4. Toyota red
5. never tried
6. never tried, but have heard good things

·
1JZ BLING!
2,747 Posts
Run cheap oil for the first couple of changes, have to get all that JDM dirt out before you go with the expensive stuff.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
1. Spark Plugs - NKG 6097

2. Oil - Run normal with some sort of Engine flush for 20mins. Amsoil makes a GREAT! product called Engine Flush. It cleans the engine out and preps it for synthetic. Once you're good there, then run 10w-30 synthetic. Redline, Mobil1, and Valvoline are some of the best.

3. Oil Weight - Try 10w-30 with the engine flush. Then run synthetic 10w-30. If you're having issues with a little compression, then you can go 10w-40.

4. Coolant - Toyota Red and Toyota Red ONLY!!! Other coolants are not as filtered as Toyota. It's like comparing McCormicks vodka to Grey Goose. Use Toyota Red and mix with distilled water. You can pick up distilled water at your local grocery.

5. Red Line Water Wetter - I say Nay to start. Watch your engine temps and then go from there.

6. Tranny Fluid - Royal Purple Syncro. Look for a recent thread of mine in the MKIII section talking about it.

All of these are what i run in my car. I ONLY! run the best.

·
that twin 2jz guy
2,595 Posts
i have been running 15w50 and now its buring up.. should i use 20w50 or just flush it with 10w40.. if u use 20w50 do i go synthetic or not???

·
GT40 1.5JZ
1,210 Posts
plugs: ngk 3330's @ .030 ,now 6097's @ .032

oil: 10w-40 for my break-in period, then synthetic for after 1500miles

tranny: royal purple (aleviated syncro problem with my oil supra)

-------------there's my feedback/experience

·
Registered
5,966 Posts
Plugs : 6097 ( Napa has the cheapest price $1.79)
Coolant : High Sierra , Safe for the environment / or Toyota coolant
Oil : Mobil ! : 10/30 , No smoking or burning Issues - Full Synthetic ( Best price at Costco)
Oil Filter : Toyota

Thats all I have experience and very good luck with>

·
Supras are never 'done'
1989 Toyota Supra
601 Posts
1: NGK 6097's
2: Mobil 1
3: 10w30
4: Toyota Red
5: Never tried it, sounds good though
6: Pennzoil Synchromesh (from AutoZone, $5.xx / qt)

Also, you can use a Toyota UZ filter for more area, it's a bit longer but the same diameter. Just ask for the V8 filter at the parts counter.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts