Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Well Balanced
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every sports car I've been in had their own, distinct smell in the interior. Most common in foreign sports cars. My two 300ZX's smelled the same inside, my Supra had it's own aura and now my NSX has it's own smell. I don't remember it in my 94 RX7 though...

My friend's Porsche 996 C2 and 993 C4S also has their own smell. The Ferrari 348 I recently rode in also had it.....

I don't notice it in normal daily cars though... Anyone else wonder this?

I'm probably gonna get some amusing replies to this thread but seriously, I've always wondered this....

·
Wobbiest: Three Laws Safe
6,137 Posts
plastics, glues and leather. The smell in a new car can actually be somewhat toxic I have read.

I think you may smell it more on some cars by how good of materials they use - like the refinement of the leather perhaps?

Hows your new knight rider doing anyway?

·
Weapon of Mass Affection
3,778 Posts
Well I think I have to take my car in for service. Something is definately wrong with my Supra. You see it always happens in the warmer months. I think the problem is either heat or seasonally related. The car runs and idles fine, boost is good, oil temps are excellent. But the problems happen when I either idle for too long or park the car. You see the windows all get fogged up. At first I thought this was a thermostat problem. I was passing a local high school and felt maybe somehow the water injection system was prematurely blowing it's load. I thought the water was just making steam. Severe overheating perhaps? I drove the extra few blocks to limp the car home. Once in the garage I found nothing wrong. When it came time to diagnose my dad nixed that idea and said it was impossible for the injection system to condense water before it vaporized. Well a few days later it happened again! This time I was at the mall and I could not pull over on either side of the road without stopping traffic. So again I kept driving. And again the problem fixed itself. It happened again as I was doing a flyby at the local club. I figured maybe this was an on boost application issue. So I got out of the car and what did I find? Womens underwear! Panties specifically! HOLY *&$^@ somehow my car was attracting large amounts of womens underwear! I demand we Supra owners issue a voluntary recall! This design issue must be fixed! We cannot live like this any longer! Lord knows how many defective Supras there are out there! We must lock up our daughters, wives, bitches and ho's. NOBODY IS SAFE. In these hard times we must do what we can to preserve the cars that haven't been afflicted. I am recommending an SE badge for such cars. I have found such remedies to cause the panty overload to subside slightly from causing you to run into a ditch-or worse-get the cooties.

Note; From my extensive research I have found this problem to magnify itself around MK3's as they have a negative polarity to their panty magnet and just exasperate the problems of us MKIV owners.

·
NFA Pimp
2,734 Posts
That is very true. Cept for that, with every American and European car manufacturer smells different to me. All the Japanese cars smell the same. They have the best new car smell to me.

VWs smell like a box of crayons.

·
LexusTico
3,172 Posts
lol..

mine just smells like gas.. i have a tiny crack in the weld on my fuel pump bracket on the 2nd fuel pump fitting that lets out some fuel vapor.

Fixing that next week.

·
NFA Pimp
2,734 Posts
TrueSlideXL said:
Well I think I have to take my car in for service. Something is definately wrong with my Supra. You see it always happens in the warmer months. I think the problem is either heat or seasonally related. The car runs and idles fine, boost is good, oil temps are excellent. But the problems happen when I either idle for too long or park the car. You see the windows all get fogged up. At first I thought this was a thermostat problem. I was passing a local high school and felt maybe somehow the water injection system was prematurely blowing it's load. I thought the water was just making steam. Severe overheating perhaps? I drove the extra few blocks to limp the car home. Once in the garage I found nothing wrong. When it came time to diagnose my dad nixed that idea and said it was impossible for the injection system to condense water before it vaporized. Well a few days later it happened again! This time I was at the mall and I could not pull over on either side of the road without stopping traffic. So again I kept driving. And again the problem fixed itself. It happened again as I was doing a flyby at the local club. I figured maybe this was an on boost application issue. So I got out of the car and what did I find? Womens underwear! Panties specifically! HOLY *&$^@ somehow my car was attracting large amounts of womens underwear! I demand we Supra owners issue a voluntary recall! This design issue must be fixed! We cannot live like this any longer! Lord knows how many defective Supras there are out there! We must lock up our daughters, wives, bitches and ho's. NOBODY IS SAFE. In these hard times we must do what we can to preserve the cars that haven't been afflicted. I am recommending an SE badge for such cars. I have found such remedies to cause the panty overload to subside slightly from causing you to run into a ditch-or worse-get the cooties.

Note; From my extensive research I have found this problem to magnify itself around MK3's as they have a negative polarity to their panty magnet and just exasperate the problems of us MKIV owners.
WTF????? Talk about going off-topic. :ugh2:

·
Well Balanced
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Every Z I've sat in smelled the same too....old and new. From the 80's ones to Z32's to Z33's but other Nissans of similar age has no such smell. This always boggled me. All Porsches smell the same too no matter what model / year.

The great thing is, no matter how old the car, the smell is always there and it adds a sense of nostalgia to it. Very fitting of a well made sports car. I never seem to notice it in domestic "sports cars" though unless they're higher end (Vettes, Vipers). Mustangs, Camaros, TA's etc.. never have it.

Mr. Wob said:
Hows your new knight rider doing anyway?
She's going through alot of changes right now. Fixing up very minor things and ripping out the old owner's stuff and making it "my own". I should have it looking almost perfect (to me) very soon and I'll be sure to post up pics.

·
6,137 Posts
what does wopavin do?

·
Weapon of Mass Affection
3,778 Posts
It's a PVC type material used for clear plastic surfaces like third brake light assemblies. Many parts that are shiny or transparent probably have an amount of it in them to make it look more like glass.

·
6,137 Posts

Yesh, yesh - very sexy.

·
BOOBIES
3,212 Posts
supra4me said:
:wtflol: Every older jetta ive been in does too! what gives?
+111198098509238459082309583240958

my buddy's Jetta smells like crayons too!!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

·
I Solve Problems
4,349 Posts
Funny but true thread. My Supra has a very distinct smell. Sort of like a new car smell. Maybe its because I put a whole new dashboard in plus all the panels :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
G said:
VWs smell like a box of crayons.

OMFG that statement is so true if I could give you plus one I would. Yes what is it with VW's smelling like a box of crayons. I have three VW friends and they all small like someone left a big box 64 pack of crayons in the back seat for a day.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts