Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed a SAFC 2 in my wife’s 93 TT. This car is her daily driver to work “about 8 miles”. If for some reason any of the connections on the SAFC come loose during driving what would happen so she can be prepared. I soldered all the connections, but you never know. The 66 wire that u cut in half will have no chance of coming loose. I am just wondering what the worst case would be…. Oh yea, and the SAFC has not been tuned yet and is all zeroed out. I just did the car setup “mkiv.com”, but no corrections settings.

·
Hardtopper
855 Posts
Im assuming the car would shut off,...

Remember if you did the install correctly you cut wire 66 in half,.. making the S-AFC its middle man,..

If it didnt shut off it would begin to run very bad,.. IE Rich/lean/bog/stutter...

Just tell her to pull off the side of the road and give popa bear (you) a call and come get her going again..

I wouldnt expect any serious problems to occur either,.. seing how the stock ECU is still in tack and all safty settings are still working.

Also remember the ECU/SAFC combo is closed loop under 3500 RPM,.. so if she has it on cruise control anything under 3500 rpms the SAFC will do nothing even if you set it to.
The ECU will override anything prior to 3500

Hope its helps

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is it 3500 by default? Because when I went to the settings menu Ne01 starts at like 1600 and up from there. I tried to increase it to 3500 like MKIV.com said but it did not go past 2400 or something, so I just set it back to 1600. Keep in mind correction is set to zero so it should not be doing anything anyway. I also drove it to double check Cor. was not changing from zero. So now that the SFAC is the middle man on wire 66 that means that without power, or loosing a ground connection on the unit would cause that connection to be broken. I was hoping it would run straight through like the SAFC was not installed.

What does a SFAC2 do if it looses a connection to something like the rpm or throttle wire? Does it turn off, or just put up an error and let the ECU take over?

My girl has been driving this car for 2 years and it still scares me....

·
Hardtopper
855 Posts
OK My bad,.. safc2 I thought you were on the original.. like me,..
Im assuming they are alot alike, and the 2nd version only has advances but on the same platform SOMEONE CORRECT ME IF IM WRONG)
But to answer your question,.. when the safc is doing its job, that is considerd OPEN LOOP,.. prior to 3500 or so RPMS the ECU controls the fuel,.. NO MATTER WHAT,.. unless you go stand alone (AEM EMS/mo tek, etc) or have it re-burned like g force..

If I remember correctly the SAFC2 has 12 or 14 NE points,.. that can be in 200 or 300 rpm incriments..
If you have made adjustments prior to 3500 you wont see any differences the ECU wont allow it.

If the SAFC gets disconnected, a number of things could happen.. check engine light,. start running bad like i mentioned above.

If your that scared drive the route she does and unplg it while at lower RPMS(worse case scanario the car would stop as if it ran out of gas or stutter)

Or

Go back Solder EVEY connection,.. and Tape up the connection.

Its just the way it was programmed.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Not sure, my guess is the motor will die unless Apexi designed the signal to bypass the electronics when the unit's turned off. If you keep the turbo pressure sensor connected, it should start back up and she'd be fine to limp the car home

Shiva

·
11,221 Posts
Any settings (tuning settings) will be eliminated. The car will just run as if there's no SAFC (if it still runs). I'm not sure if it's the same for the SAFC, but on my SAFR if the rpm signal disconnects, the car won't start.

·
Registered
709 Posts
My friend installed poorly and one of the wires came loose and the car wouldn't even idle.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys!!! At least I can tell her what to expect. Always good to know what "could" happen... I dont what her to think.. hmmm its running a little ruff.. maby if I floor it will smooth out. :rant2:

·
Registered
274 Posts
Another thing that you can do to keep the afc2 from losing connection is something i and chucky doll did to a friends car.... Pull all four screws from each corner of the unit. Inside you will see where the wire routes to the circut board. Put a small zip tie very tightly around the wire so that its touching the inside of the unit. If the afc wire gets tugged on, the zip tie will prevent the connection from being unplugged thus not letting the vehicle die. My .02. Thanks, A.J. :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts