Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I have tt BPU+ supra, exhaust, boost controller, and greddy fmic. I still am running the stock airbox and intake and was wondering what is recommended as the best intake to use at this point?

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
I would say pop a K&N panel filter into the stock airbox and that's about as good as it gets as far as airflow and filtration ....unless you like the look of a shiney pipe with a cone filter on it that sucks hot air from under your hood, then go for that.

The MaxAir box type setup allows you to use a cone filter and isolate it from underhood heat.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
anyone else have suggestions?

·
Boost4fun
1,848 Posts
I second Nick´s opinion. Even though I currently have a cone filter w/o insulation. But this will follow soon.
Gerd

·
Old School
4,056 Posts
I'll third Nick's opinion for the stock airbox, with the caveat that I prefer Amsoil's synthetic media filter to the K&N.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so does anyone else think i should just buy a k&n panel filter and drop it in the stock airbox?

·
Old School
4,056 Posts
I think you should buy either a stock pleated paper element, or even better, an Amsoil drop-in.

K&N is very poor at filtering the fine particulates that cause wear.

·
GO 'Cats!
1,001 Posts
I'm all about the Apexi power filter with Max Air box. Check out the link ^ Notrace81 posted above for the test results. It doesn't help as much if it just sucks hot air so get or make a box IMO.

·
Banned
109 Posts
make a custom air intake. ask to see stu hagens setup. probally one of the best intake set ups for the stock twins out there today. the new aem dryflow filters are supposed to produce the most amount of power.

·
Working OT
4,193 Posts
I'm all about the Apexi power filter with Max Air box. Check out the link ^ Notrace81 posted above for the test results. It doesn't help as much if it just sucks hot air so get or make a box IMO.
+1 or run a custom pipe and drill a hole and run it down.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I think you should buy either a stock pleated paper element, or even better, an Amsoil drop-in.

K&N is very poor at filtering the fine particulates that cause wear.
Any evidence for for the dis on K& N oiled element? I see the link posted above to tests showns K N as "good" not "very poor" like the HKS green thing.
+1 here for Nick's advice that it really doesn't get you anywhere to change out the stock box on a BPU car.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts

·
Old School
4,056 Posts
Any evidence for for the dis on K& N oiled element? I see the link posted above to tests showns K N as "good" not "very poor" like the HKS green thing.
+1 here for Nick's advice that it really doesn't get you anywhere to change out the stock box on a BPU car.
If you don't already belong, join BITOG (Bob Is The Oil Guy), and search "Cone Filters". Plus, any 4x4 forum will likely say the same thing, under dusty conditions they (K&N) don't filter well.

http://theoildrop.server101.com/forums/ubbthreads.php

I've done UOA on my car for nearly 8 years, silicon was way up using the K&N, and came down using a stock pleated element.

The drier & dustier your area, the worse oiled cotton gauze is.

Edit: Silicone to silicon. :)

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
True. Paper can be an amazingly good filter medium. Internet myth has made "K&N" style filters out to be good, but really they are not up to par with a good paper filter. Open-cell foam like the HKS? Someone should be shot! :D

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
This is just from memory, but in a previous thread on this a couple years ago, one of the reputable Steve's around here ...maybe the Jarvis one?... either mentioned or posted some results from a dyno showing that the stock airbox even with a low restriction element like the K&N (or like the TRD element I used) still dyno'd something like 10 or 15whp less than a fully open intake.

Of course the point is you must have good air filtration, but I'm just saying there is a little power there if you can find a real good filter with low restriction.

·
Old School
4,056 Posts
It was the Jarvis Steve. I've always wondered about that, since I never saw *any* trap speed increase with the Max Air box.

I ended up taking it out and going back to stock for that last couple of years before going single. I don't mind giving up maybe 10 rwhp for much better filtration. although now that Amsoil is using the nanofiber technology from Donaldson you can buy a cone filter that both flows and filters extemely well. Using that type of cone with the Max Air would be the way to go, IMO.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
It was the Jarvis Steve. I've always wondered about that, since I never saw *any* trap speed increase with the Max Air box.

I ended up taking it out and going back to stock for that last couple of years before going single. I don't mind giving up maybe 10 rwhp for much better filtration. although now that Amsoil is using the nanofiber technology from Donaldson you can buy a cone filter that both flows and filters extemely well. Using that type of cone with the Max Air would be the way to go, IMO.
I'm with you -- I question whether there was any restriction for BPU in the stock air box.

Do you have a handy link for those lazy ones among us who would like to learn more about the filters you're referencing? The Donaldson or Amsoil or whomever sell 'em... Sounds like something I'd be interested in because I don't like the idea of the K&N style too much...

1 - 20 of 74 Posts