Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Supranian
2,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What is a good spark plug gap??? Misfire issue also.

I just replaced all my spark plugs a couple of weeks ago and gapped them to .044 just as the TSRM states. I was talking to some other supra guys and they said I should gap them at .028. The plugs I used are NGK 6097's and my car is completely stock TT/Auto. I thought you should gap them tighter if you are running higher than stock boost, which I'm not.

I do have a missing/fluctuating idle situation and am wondering if perhaps I should tighten the gap to say around .038.

What do you guys think???

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I used to have mine at .032 and regapped to .0285 and it starts better and seems to idle better. No noticeable difference at high RPM although I'm BPU++ only at 1 bar

·
Registered
13,569 Posts
IMO the 6097 is really a bad plug for a "completely stock TT..." since it is colder than stock and unless you're boosting well above stock levels, it just can't work as well as the stock heat range. Find a suitable plug and gap it to stock gap unless you're boosting way over 14psi.

·
Registered
203 Posts
The NGK 6097 and 3330 are a waste of time... they foul very easy.

Spend the money and get the NGK iridium (BKR7EIX). They are about 8.00 each but worth every penny.

Gap them to .028 and you`ll be fine.

Andre

·
Registered
13,569 Posts
The NGK 6097 and 3330 are a waste of time... they foul very easy.

Spend the money and get the NGK iridium (BKR7EIX). They are about 8.00 each but worth every penny.

Gap them to .028 and you`ll be fine.

Andre
Are you guys suggesting these plugs for a stock TT setup? :scratch:

That Iridium is also one step colder than stock and the 0.028" gap is WAY under stock gap....Do you really think that's good advice when he said

...my car is completely stock TT/Auto...

·
SuperMember
3,154 Posts
he's asking for stock car .. no BPU here nor any boosting over stock guys .. as nick 95 recommended find a suitable plug from your local auto parts store and gap them to stock specs, all these other ones are for BPU's to single turbo applications

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
gapp them at 28

·
Registered
178 Posts
Nick95 and suprattr are right, everyone else is saying what they run on completely different setups than you.

Based off what your running you want a plug with a stock heat range of #6 and your running a lower heat range of #7. And a gap of .028 way too low, you want .043. I'm not sure if you know about this but under mkiv.com-FAQ's they have a good description of what you should run based off your setup.

http://www.mkiv.com/faq/faqtt.html
its under Engine (red lettering) - Features (yellow lettering) - #1 (white lettering)

·
Supranian
2,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
WTF.... I have a completely stock car (except for the Clifford Alarm and the Alpine Stereo).....

I just installed NGK BKR6EP-11 (aka 2678) plugs in gapped at 0.043" and still have the same issue with a noticable miss at 650rpm's. Fortunately I have the luxury of having a spare car sitting next to it in my driveway where I can swap parts.

I swapped the injector module, ignitor, all three coil packs and still have the issue.

My vacuum is at 15-16" at 650rpm's and at 18-19 at 900rpm's. Very little change to the rpm's when I disconnect each coil pack one at a time.

Btw, thanks coleospoolin for the great link. That is what I followed. Please post a full size pic of you avatar and link to more pics....she has awesome legs !!!

·
Supranian
2,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Gap your plugs to .032, set your boost controller to 19 psi (93 oct) pump gas and call it a day.
I don't have a boost controller????? read above please.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
something seems wrong if you are disconnecting the coils and you still get no difference in idling then

·
Supranian
2,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Btw, I changed my fuel filter tonight and still have the same issue with the misfire.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts