Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I love cars. I'm constantly looking for info, history, stats, whatever on cars. Sedans, coupes, roadsters, doesnt matter. If it has 4 wheels, I'm interested. Every car maker has a model that peaks my interest to some capacity, except one, Porsche.

I know they are great at what they do. Power, handling, all that, great. But I have no passion for them. They are bland to me. I see all of the aftermarket for it, and people drooling all over them. My reaction is always the same..."Meh, it's still a Porsche." I've even driven a couple, still thought it was just....eh.

So, does anyone else feel like this? Am I the only one that feels this way about any other high end car?

·
NFA Pimp
2,735 Posts
I am not too big on them because their styling. Could they at least change up the 911 once in a while or not have all their cars look like a 911?

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
John I'm exactly the same way. Seems like all porsches look the same and bland. The only one that has actually started to interest me somewhat is the new Cayman

·
Who's the Master?!
4,073 Posts
Porsche is still one of my favorite manufacturers, but they have lost their passion it seems. They are so intent on making the perfect road car that they have taken away all the things that made a Porsche a Porsche (like say, throttle on, throttle off, snap, non-snap *etc. etc. you get the picture* oversteer). I think that Porsche needs to find a new design direction for their cars. I don't think they should get rid of the 911, but they should do it differently. If they dropped the price of the 911 model line, so that they start at $60k and go to $115k (for the Turbo), and eliminate some of the ridiculous options, they can make room for a (permanent, and cheaper) halo car.

If Porsche were to design a GT car set in the $200-250k price bracket with AWD, a big V-12, full appointed leather interior, basically everything you need to cruise the Autobahn in style, I think it would a hit. If they make a car that is in the same realm of performance as an SLR but with the interior and attention to detail of a Bentley, they would probably steal some customers from the aforementioned Bentley, Ferrari and even Mercedes.

I think that by adding a halo GT car, I feel that it would help bring some passion back to Porsche. It would allow them to go in a completely different design direction as well as allow them to flex their luxury-capable muscle. I also think that they need to differentiate the Boxster more. The fact that it looks like a baby 911 is not good, as it undermines the Boxster (as well as its owner) and its capabilities.

Oh, and get rid of the Cayenne. The sedan could only stay if they made it a direct competitor to the Bentley Flying Spur (that means price range and all). In that glorified atmosphere, you can't dick around on style and extravagance. If they couldn't get their act together with the style, I'd get rid of it.

*Of course, this is all in the mind of Ocelot, where in his world, he is the head of all car manufacturers.*

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Actually, I was gonna be in that area for a family reunion and meet up with Wob. But those plans fell through. :( I'll hit you up if I get up there.

·
Registered
5,577 Posts
My reaction is always the same..."Meh, it's still a Porsche." I've even driven a couple, still thought it was just....eh.
It's like saying the Carrera and GT3 are the same and both use an N/a engine with extra 60hp for the GT3, so why pay extra for an additional wing and upgraded front bumper and mid tailpipes ? You can't tell the difference unless you test drive both.

If they changed the shape of the 911 their legendary Flat-6 must be replaced with a V type engine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79WfWuzaKhU

Got caption ? ;)

·
Z06 convert
1,378 Posts
There is much to be said about their precision and the engineering that goes into the feel and surgical steering.

That said, they have become very antiseptic cars, for the lack of a better word. And the Cayenne is out of place in the lineup.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Interesting vid Enzox, and never have I or will I deny they do everything better. But there is just something there holding me back from liking them. I never get that "Ohhh, ahhhh" feeling that I get from say Lambo or Ferrari. Even when I stood next to the GT, it just is...hell, I don't know....almost like it's too perfect. I really don't know any other way to say it.

Let me put it this way.... say you have two woman. Both are beautiful, but one is fun, tells dirty jokes, has a beer and personality is top notch. Then you have the other. She eats a perfectly balanced diet, everything is exaclty where is should be, she is predictable to the point of boring. That is what the Porsche is to me. So engineered to do everything to the best of it's ability at the cost of fun.

My logic may be odd to some, but that is how I feel.

·
Champagne Papi
5,697 Posts
Not to jack your thread John. Just curious if anyone else feels the same way as me.... I honestly dislike NSX's. I just can't find anything I like about them. The looks are old and too supercar like when the car doesn't have any supercar in it. It handles well and is nicely balanced, but so is a miata. A buddy of mine has a really clean 97 3.2L nsx. I still don't like the car overall. Money poorly spent IMO.

Heres a vid of an event I went to back in febuary Redline time attack.
http://www.apartment107.com/view_video2.php?id=163 Still not impressive.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Interesting vid Enzox, and never have I or will I deny they do everything better. But there is just something there holding me back from liking them. I never get that "Ohhh, ahhhh" feeling that I get from say Lambo or Ferrari. Even when I stood next to the GT, it just is...hell, I don't know....almost like it's too perfect. I really don't know any other way to say it.

Let me put it this way.... say you have two woman. Both are beautiful, but one is fun, tells dirty jokes, has a beer and personality is top notch. Then you have the other. She eats a perfectly balanced diet, everything is exaclty where is should be, she is predictable to the point of boring. That is what the Porsche is to me. So engineered to do everything to the best of it's ability at the cost of fun.

My logic may be odd to some, but that is how I feel.
I think that sums it up nicely:) I agree.....I like Porsches but they are pretty bland...I work by Manhattan Motors in NYC and I see them parked next to Ferrari's/Lotus etc and the Porsches just disappear.....No comparison looks wise next to lambos/ferraris etc......Few manufacturers engineer passion into the cars shape like the Itallians....

Whats funny is that in its hayday its the same thing C & D said about the Supra when comparing it to the RX7/300zx/VR4. It was too perfect and lacked soul...I think for real car guys they need a little rawness engineered in....If you make the car too perfect to the point where it drives itself a hardcore enthusiast wont get that part of the brain stimulated when driving...You know the part where you feel connected to the car, and that your skill allowed you to do this or that...You actually drive the car instead of it driving you....I believe that was the focus of cars like the Dodge Viper/Lotus etc.....

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
It's like saying the Carrera and GT3 are the same and both use an N/a engine with extra 60hp for the GT3, so why pay extra for an additional wing and upgraded front bumper and mid tailpipes ? You can't tell the difference unless you test drive both.

If they changed the shape of the 911 their legendary Flat-6 must be replaced with a V type engine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79WfWuzaKhU

Got caption ? ;)

Nice vid...Dont know what a 350z was doing there...The disparity in price vs the next closest car pricewise is ridiculous.....The only Porsche the Z can give a run for the money or beat is the base Boxter/Cayman...Anything else the Z gets killed...Very one sided vid.

Also they raced old cars NSX/360 Modena vs newer Porsches....This vid really doesnt prove anything....Ive seen mags/vid of them getting there azzes handed to them by anything from Vipers to F430 etc...."Porsche there is no substitute" is just a marketing slogan...dont get too caught up in it:) Many cars out there will out perform it and some for much less money.....Absolutely great cars nontheless...I would own one in a heartbeat...

·
[///M] Humdizzle
1,130 Posts
from a technical standpoint the porsche 911 is brilliant. grip, sophistication, excellent chassis, luxury, its pretty much the perfect everyday sports car. and in the 4s layout you could drive it rain,snow, or shine. you pretty much get a very well rounded package.

for that money though i'd find it really hard to walk away from a z06 and some cash in my pocket. Or a Maserati Grandsport.

here's an entertaining vid on top gears view of the 911: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5x4W2OhzwY4

·
Acolyte of Dienekes
2,458 Posts
Porsche and Aston are probably my two favorite manufacturers for road cars.

Aesthetically, they are the eptitome of sexy understated class, IMO. Neither of them scream for attention like an F-car or Lambo. The 911 TT is easily moddable for big power, gets the power to the ground easily, and is comfortable and luxurious. Aston's sex appeal makes up for any of it's performance short coming IMO.

Now If I'm looking for a more pure sports car or something for the track, I'd be looking at a GT40, Sport Exige, or yet to be released Blue Devil/Z06 SS before I looked at a GT3/GT2. I've heard too many horror stories about how easy the rear engine-rwd GT3/GT2's are to lose control of at the limit, and I'd prefer something that's easier to get more power out of than a N/A GT3 anyway.

·
Shawn Davis
1,662 Posts
That youtube video pretty much summed it up for me. Nothing more to add. I personally like the looks of the 911 and Cayman. Don't get me wrong, I think the AM is sex on wheels, but for a good looking, well balanced, good performing car. I'm in for the 911. Having moved to the north, I appreciate my all wheel drive sports car every day I drive it.

·
Supra TT Senior
1,887 Posts
For a "practical" high end sports car, IMO, Porsche is the only way to go. I love my 911 and it does it's job for me. I'll probably never own a Ferrari/Lambo just because even if I could afford the purchase price, I'll probably never be able to deal with it breaking down and needing to fix it. The Porsche has been super reliable...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts