Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the hardrtops have less weight and a stiffer body. And some have stiffer springs/shocks,but I dont know what years. :ak: :drag: Sorry, just had to do it. :D

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Hardtops are almost impossible to find. All years are basically the same. 93~95 had a stiffer suspension. 96s are auto only. and 96 up has OBDII but that's not a performance disadvantage. Only an annoyance if you replace the DP without a cat. You should only worry about finding a model that fits your price range. Good luck. It took me three months to find a good one. Has taken some people almost a year. Have your money ready and do not hesitate a minute to buy as soon as you find what you want. I've seen cars go in under an hour.

·
Always Furious. Now Fast.
447 Posts
You can't swing a dead cat without hitting an SE. So if you want a hardtop and you don't mind the fabric seats, you should have no problem finding a hardtop...

[Edit -->] That would be a 1995 SE

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
and SE = Non Turbo.. better make sure I clear that up before you end up getting an N/A and crying about it... no SE TTs as far as I know.

·
stock
288 Posts
hmms

i heard somewhere.......that 97 and 98 supra's arnt as good as the 93.5-96's. I heard that toyota used cheap materials..... something like that.....is it true? Im planning to buy a 97 supraTT 6spd from my friend...thankz!

·
Always Furious. Now Fast.
447 Posts
I hope that isn't true:eek:

No, I don't think that is true at all. If you go to MKIV.com there is a 1997 new features guide and it has a boatload of improvements. At the very least, the stereo head unit is a lot nicer....

If you can get a 97, go for it.

·
Banned
1,981 Posts
97-98 have a longer shifter(6 speed), also there are some headlight, tail light, and turn signal differences. Interior the '98 comes with a 3-spoke steering wheel. 96-98 have the addition of snow for the traction control.

·
Registered
47 Posts
correction

Chucky Doll, not to sound like a jerk, but don't you mean traction control for the snow instead of snow for the traction control? lol...no hard feelings:)

·
Registered
283 Posts
G,
This is a misconception brought about because of the conversion to OBDII in 1996. Toyota was not able to get the necessary documentation, etc.. in order in time to get the 6-speed certified in 1996.

All 1996 U.S. Supras were therefore automatics. The 6-speeds were re-introduced (same tranny as before) in 1997 and were a standard option until importation to the States was discontinued (in 1998).

Hope this helps,
KGB

Gman094 said:
i thought 6speeds were only made in 93-95?

·
Super Moderator!!ON PATROL ALL OVER!!
10,459 Posts
another difference is the 97-98 have diferent seats and the dash is a flat charcol grey and the radio is different ( i think it looks blahhh) rims are a little lighter and came in the option of polished insted of chrome and the motor has 2 oxy sensors i belive!
also and the computer has something differnt too! oh and the oil filter was moved some how to make it easier to change the filter !

the 93.5 to 96 are much more easy to work on due to some of the changes and like they said the 96 only came in auto !+ every thing else said above too!

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I want to buy a Supra TT very soon and noticed something yesterday. I was at E-Town yesterday at an import event and noticed that some Supras don't have an oil cooler towards the left side. It was located by the intake. Some of the owners removed the left side of the headlights to allow more air to go through and if you look down it looks like an oil cooler. I might be wrong about this, but why didn't they all have this on?

Also, only the SE are non-turbo right?
Thanks

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
that and from some reason the OBDII make more power wiht the loght on!

At least mine did, Down pipe, trd exhaust, 401hp wheels and 411.9 torque! :)

also the radios are a little different in the 98's, and the 12volt mod does not work.....

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey whats this about the problems of putting down pipes on 97's?? Bevause im thinking of putting one on my 97 TT

·
Registered
284 Posts
JZA80Supra said:
for me, i think 95 is the best year......:D
I agree as I am sure many others would..

The 95' is probably the best for someone who can spend the money and is aware of what makes the cars stand out. 93'-95' are most definetly the same.. just that for a little more cash you get what some might call a somewhat newer car. The 96' is only auto *cough and the 97-98 are fine but obdII and supra owners are raping eachother on prices on those. I can find anyone a supra for around 22k - 30k+ so if anyone needs help feel free to contact me. but 95 RULES!!!!

·
Administrator
17,224 Posts
Well, in my own hugely biased opinion, the 1995 hardtop TT represents the ultimate MKIV. What a coincidence...that is what I just bought! :D

Seriously though, I feel the 1995 model is the best because it is the last year of OBD1 (so probably lowest mileage). Cosmetic changes like the newer headlights and taillights can be added if they are a big deal to you. The shifter in the 1993-1995 cars has a shorter throw than the 1997-1998 cars, and the earlier seats have pass thrus in the headrests that can be used for racing harnesses. On the flip side, the OBD2 cars do seem to dyno higher with similar mods than the earlier cars, but not by a lot.

In the end, if you get a MKIV, you'll be doing just fine...but I'd stick with the TT models if you can afford to. :)

·
Extreme Slowness
47 Posts
what does the average 6speed in good condition with relatively good miles run for? I am looking to get one hopefully in feburary and a weekend fun toy. I don't want something with super high miles. anyways let me know what you think. i look on autotrader.com and thepartstrader.com, is there anywhere else?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts