Supra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
regretfully supraless
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been pulled over twice in the last few days b/c my tag lights keep goin out...yesterday, I replaced the bulbs for the third time AND my boyfriend wired them up to the running lights (thinkin there might have been a short some where), and sure enough, they went out. The bulbs keep blowing...what in the world is causing this!?

·
Us And Them
1,038 Posts
by tag you're talkign about the licence plate right?

I'm guessing since it's rewired the stock fuse no longer applies to the circuit. Did you fuse the new curcuit just in case? that way you will save your bulbs

Make sure all the connections are connected properly (butt connectors, ring terminals etc..) then check for wires that may be touching ground and shorting it out.

Does it happen when you turn a certain electrical component on?
Is your power source running other things too, if so then are they going out when your tag lights do?

·
Us And Them
1,038 Posts
P.S. You have the coolest avtar known to the history of mankind, i was wondering where i'd find you on SF next so i could tell you that.

·
regretfully supraless
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the license plate lights were wired up stock and the bulbs kept blowing. the fuse however, was unaffected. we checked all the wires to the lights and everything seemed ok, so we decided to wire the lights to the parking lights in the rear end. the bulbs still blew. i know everything was connected correctly because my boyfriend did car audio installation and is a wiz when it comes to any type of wiring. i guess next we shall try replacing the bulb sockets and housings. if that doesnt work, then maybe wiring it directly to the battery will?????? lets hope.... :)

·
1.5JZ Turbo Supra
3,378 Posts
check the connectors for the bulbs maybe their rusty n old n cause a short. Maybe their moist n blow it.

·
regretfully supraless
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Went to the junkyard and got new sockets (old ones were rusty)...but guess what!? We figured out the problem! Everytime we went to buy new bulbs, we got the 6 volts (not realizing it) b/c it was the only ones they had...then we went to AutoZone and they actually had the 12 volts...obviously, that's what I need b/c the tag lights are on 11 volts...problem solved! :p

·
HKS T51R
2,732 Posts
lol that sucks, good thing it wasnt a wiring problem. i would have said check the fuses to make sure there the correct ones in there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts