Supra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
supraman
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Running stock turbos at 20psi what is the ideal spark plug gap one should have? And will it make a difference in performance having the gap lower?:)

·
Old School
4,014 Posts
The biggest gap that doesn't misfire.

Experiment. :)

S

·
0 Posts
Get the NGK 3330's and don't gap them, just put them in. They are ideal for stock twins.

·
supraman
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is .030 too low?

·
supraman
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Will it be OK if I was to use the stock platinum plugs which come with the tt or go for the NGK 3330's?

·
3,148 Posts
I wouldn't reduce the gap on the stock plugs that much. You want to run as much gap as possible without misfiring. I would guess about .035 (maybe a little less).

Later, Steve

·
supraman
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just Gapped my plugs at .030 man my car feels like a rocket compared to before. I had gaped it at .050 before the downpipe. After I installed the downpipe it was missing badly so I gapped down to .030 the idling is completely normal. The boost builds up real low at 2500rpm and the response is a lot quicker its great!! Planning to regap after boost mod to .026/

·
3,148 Posts
There is no reason to go below .030. Anything lower can actually hurt power.

Later, Steve

·
Retired Super-Mod
10,170 Posts
Steve Jarvis said:
There is no reason to go below .030. Anything lower can actually hurt power.
Exactly. My old man told me an old hot-rodder trick is to gap plugs higher to increase power (of course not so high that you misfire).

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
The stock plugs or 3330's at .030 seem to work well for me. I like the stock plugs slightly better though, same power and runs smoother at idle. Thay will also last a hell of a lot longer.

·
supraman
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks!! I read from this HPF site that you can go as low as .027 ? Im quite happy with the .030gap so I guess will stay at that.:D

D

·
0 Posts
You don't need to go lower than .030 unless you are going to squeeze, Then you will need to go .028:D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts