Supra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok before someone says the whole thing i want to know what exactly are the weak points. What can be upgraded(gearing,forks,washers,bearings,etc.)to add more strength. Looking at getting some more power out of one. Parts part numbers suggestions. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
10,373 Posts
Seems that different stuff breaks all the time depending on the exact instance - shift forks, entire gears stripped, etc.

There really isn't a 'weak link' per se- more a matter of an entire gearbox that was engineered for ~250hp tops and was not built to be abused.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
weak link is boost!

I guess I'm at roughlt 450 whp on 19 psi and things are great so far except alittle clucth slipage in third gear,......... running a RPS street disk and geting ready to drop in a 6 puck disk. but if you do not abuse it............................. meaning slamming gears every time you drive it you should be good fo r high 400s and very low 500s...... wreclkess is a friend of mine in abq and owns a shit load of knowledge....... FACT!!!!!!!!!! and with his advice and others It is a known fact that the w58 can go out at mid 400s ...and I have another friend of mine with a 600 rwhp in Florida and his ran fine at 512 rwhp for a good long time but finally went out on him.

I belive you are wasting your time trying to make the w58 hold power...... try messing with the r 154 instead to hold power if you can not afford the 6 speed swap like me.

shift forks go out gear boxs go out ....it all depends man, I am babying my w58.well not really but I like to think so but I am concious of the fact it is a time bomb waiting to happen

don't yank the shifts and I think you are good for high 400s, and on top of witch I am not familar with a disk that will hold the power anyways that you can put in a w58. I am going to put the 6 puck disk in it soon and realize hat will be the end of the tranny soon.

any advice you get from wreckless..........Listen to it.......look at his sig the guy has lots of knowledge

Peace

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok on that note as well I had a very modded MK3 before and took out the tranny which is way bigger and beafier (R-154)then the W58 will it fit in the same as a W58. It seemed as it was longer definatly way heavier.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts