Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
American Muscle?
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i figure this is a good place to ask and get a good idea..
i just looked at a 1989 supra:
turbo
targa
5 spd
tems(dont know if that suspension is a good or bad thing)
white with blue interior
the interior of the car is ABSOLUTELY PERFECT, like a new car, i mean unbelievable condition.
the exterior is also flawless except for one 2 inch ding on the right front quarter panel but its hardly noticeable, no paint chips or scratches
the guy selling it is the original owner who has done all the services at a dealership
all that has been replaced is the radiator once, headgasket at 75k, the diff at some low mileage and it has a small oil leak right now that made a puddle about the size of a cd after the car ran for 20 minutes, im not worried about it i think its the oil pan.

the car ran perfect idles like a new engine, turbo spooled really smoothly and the car idled back down to normal with no hesitation and didnt surge or anything.
as far as i can tell this car is absolutely perfect but the guy is askin 4300 and that seems a little high, so i guess im askin for some 2nd opinions.
any input would be nice
shopping the DFW texas area by the way, hard to find MKIII's, or maybe im not lookin hard enough?

thanks~

·
RIP 86.5 N/A, Hello 90T
2,293 Posts
Thats price seem fairly good considering the condition you are describing but I would try and talk him down just for the simple fact whats the worst he can say "no"? and well if he agrees that more money in your pockwt for mods.

T

·
0 Posts
thats a good price. i got my 90t 5 months ago for 4553.50. i got it from a dealer. so his/her asking price is cheap i would do it. i don't know, but as of right now i have a slight knock and a blown turbo seal. so be carefull. i don't know how this happened but it's happened. thats why i am chaning alot of stuff. So good luck with your car.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
TurboRed90 said:
thats a good price. i got my 90t 5 months ago for 4553.50. i got it from a dealer. so his/her asking price is cheap i would do it. i don't know, but as of right now i have a slight knock and a blown turbo seal. so be carefull. i don't know how this happened but it's happened. thats why i am chaning alot of stuff. So good luck with your car.
how it happened? lack of oil/oil pressure.

D

·
0 Posts
There is an 89T around where I live for sale, 153k and a smashed quarter panel. They said they were going to fix it and try to get about 2,000 out of it. I know nothing about it aside from that.

Dunno if that helps you. I paid 4,000 for my 87t with 71k miles...

·
FasterThanASpeedingCivic
671 Posts
payed 2300 for my car and it is all messed up. But the interior is awesome!!! 171k miles, needed new everything, but turbo was great. I think you can get a good deal from the guy. Try to talk him down some though, it wont hurt!!

·
American Muscle?
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok he's got me confused now
after i went to see the car he sends me this e-mail
"
Thanks for stopping by. I did some more research and found where I got the $4000+ figure for a turbo/targa w/ rear spoiler. It was on autotrader.com and it was quoted for "average retail".

Here's what I found:

autotrader.com: $2975 low retail, $4125 avg retail, $4975 high retail
edmunds.com: $2934 private party, $4167 retail

I can drop from the $4300 hundred some. I also feel it is important that this car goes to someone who appreciates it and would take care of it.

You probably already know, it has ABS and electronic suspension control. If you some time to make other arrangements such as selling other cars - we can work something out.
"

so im pretty sure he wants me to get the car, he's the original owner, and im a toyota technician by the way
and those values are about right and kbb.com also says around 2900 private party in excellent condition

anyone know a good way to word things to bring his 4300 down to like 3300??
i have no clue what he means by 'bring the 4300 down some' or what he has in mind of 'other arrangements'

i really want this car but im unsure of how much its worth to me~

im only 20 and dont have much experience with used car shopping, especially private party

·
0 Posts
drop it mang, dont pay over 4 grand for a 15 yr old toyota, i only paid 2200 for mines, and its 1 owner mint mint mint, take care mang, and good luck

F

·
0 Posts
dude

I would buy it. I HIGHLY doubt hes going to sell it for a grand less than he was asking...people normally go about 300 less on cars between 3 and 5 thousand. You make it sound like it wont need anything. That would be a HUGE consideration because you wont need to buy ANYTHING but mods. AND you can work on the car if something happens since you work at Toyota as a Tech no doubt. Have you ever worked on a Supra at your job?

·
New Mexico Boost Frog
443 Posts
I just got my 88T targa TEMS ECT... Blitz Dual Drive BOV, three inch pipe off turbo to a magna flow can, and HKS PF CON W/FCD. 85K original miles. New factory clutch 8k miles on it. Missing two trim panels and interior is well used. I paid 2800.... So keep your eyes open.

The PF CON alone is worth at least 1k + atleast 200 for BOV...

·
TheFastCoonAss
6,083 Posts
I would buy it for $4,000 if it's as mint as you describe! These cars are getting harder and harder to find in good condition.

·
Racing is Living
1,012 Posts
Where is this car at? What part of Dallas is it in, I have to go to Dallas every morning, maybe I can look at it with you. Or I know a black supra that is a 90T auto that is for sale but maybe needs a new motor or turbo, I was thinking about myself. PM me and I'll give you my phone number.

Ryan

·
Not ur jizz, not ur bizz
6,571 Posts
id pay 3800-4000 for it IF its the condition you described.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Rajunz said:
I would buy it for $4,000 if it's as mint as you describe! These cars are getting harder and harder to find in good condition.

I agree with Rajunz. The guy obviously is willing to lower the price, but $3300 is too low. $4k is a fair price for a car that well taken care of.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
I agree with Rajunz. If the car is as mint as you say it is, then just buy it for 4k. Its not easy to find a well maintained MK3 from the original owner. Of coarse you could find something cheaper, but you would likely end up paying more in the long run. Think about the cost of a paint job, or redoing the leather seats for example. Big money.

·
Tampa Bay Supras
707 Posts
I think his price is about right... I paid $3300 for my 87T, targa, 5spd like 9-10 months ago... but it was a good "project" car that was stock, had no real engine problems and new leather front seats, but blown struts, almost no brakes and oxydized paint. I've put in a few grand into it up to now... Not a problem, I was expecting that...

That oil leak may also be your camshaft and crankshaft oil seals, which are kind of a bitch to do with the engine in... If you know what you're doing or want a good learning experience, I would advise getting a full gasket set and replace all gaskets and oil seals ;)

I guess going with a MHG would really depend on your goals... but just replacing all gaskets and seals without taking apart the bottom end shouldn't too bad for ya...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts