Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced my car battery today and may have disconnected this wire in the process, the car isn't starting now. I have power to the radio and lights etc... Still won't start though. If someone could tell me what it connects to and what it does, I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

91' T

·
greasemonkey
3,144 Posts
its for the starter or a ground. follow it. if it goes to the block in front of the motor ount, connect it to the neg terminal. if it goes towards the firewall its to the starter and put it on the + terminal. it is prolly for the starter.
william

·
Can't wait for Spring!
2,364 Posts
that a ground wire. It attaches to the negative (-) terminal on your battery. i beleive its the ground for the starter.. but don't quote me. :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies, I tryed to hook up the connector to the negative battery terminal, but it didn't fit... Then I tightened that clamp on it just to try and get the engine running, and when I tryed to start it, the interior of the car just dies (radio,Dash fades out).

I thought the starter motor pinion may have been jammed in the flywheel gear, tryed rocking the vehicle in gear to turn the engine. But when I released the car stops instantly and nothing is different.

Any thoughts/suggestions would be great. Thanks.

·
Can't wait for Spring!
2,364 Posts
ok... you really need to find out where that wire goes to. Have you been having troubles with your car/ starter before?? How charged is your battery???

·
Can't wait for Spring!
2,364 Posts
crap i forgot to add...

does the starter soleniod click at all? do any relays click??

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
jong said:
ok... you really need to find out where that wire goes to. Have you been having troubles with your car/ starter before?? How charged is your battery??? crap i forgot to add...

does the starter soleniod click at all? do any relays click??
Only had the car for a two weeks now,

The battery has a 100% charge, it's brand new, so I don't think that is the problem.

The wire in the pic above splits into two different wires and seem to come from the area the starter, one head of the wires is blue, the other red.

There is no click from the solenoid and no relays that I can hear.

Thanks.

·
Registered
133 Posts
K.0. said:
I tryed to hook up the connector to the negative battery terminal, but it didn't fit...
I just installed a new battery and rewired the starter/battery circuit in my '90T.

On mine, the positive lead coming off the battery was a single wire that was then bolted to TWO other wires down below the battery - one was a smaller wire that ran over to the main junction/fuse box. The other wire had a 90 degree end on it that ran down to the starter. This 3 wire junction was all bolted together from the factory at this 90 degree terminal end.

Your pics are kinda fuzzy, but that looks like that same 90 degree terminal end I had; I'd say it goes to your starter, and therefore is a POSITIVE lead...hence the reason it didn't fit on your negative battery terminal. Follow the wire and see where it goes.

Oh, just for info, my NEGATIVE OEM battery cable was two wires right off the battery terminal - one to the block, and the other to a chassis ground point.

Good luck

·
Registered
144 Posts
The wire goes to the starter. If you hooked it up to the negative side, their is a good possibility that you blew some fuses or a fusible link. If your terminal allows it, hook it up to the positive and try to start the car. If not, check fuses. And by the way, the housing of the starter is the ground for the starter. Their are two wires to it though. One is the solenoid (small) and the other one (big one not connected) actually turns the starter.

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
the bad advice given in this thread makes me retch. it's for the starter positive power lead, it goes to the +. Hope your car is still OK.

·
Boost Creep.
432 Posts
Judging by the length of that wire, it's probably the positive wire to your starter.

There should be two wires coming off the positive terminal. One goes to the starter, the other is a fusible link wire that goes into the main junction box. There should be two ground wires coming off the negative side... One to body / chassis and one to the engine.

HTH,
Brendan

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Alright, well I am going to go connect it to the positive terminal... And hope to hell connecting it to the negative before didn't cause any damage.

Thanks for the help everyone, be back in a few with results.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
wtf would you guys think a wire coming from that direction was a ground? :sad:

i love how confident you all were in giving him the wrong advice too...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm done with the car for the night, it's outside and there isn't enough light, I'll continue on tommorow.

Thanks to anyone who gave me accurate information in this thread...

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
K.0. said:
I'm done with the car for the night, it's outside and there isn't enough light, I'll continue on tommorow.

Thanks to anyone who gave me accurate information in this thread...
I have an ominous feeling that you got owned by bad advice on SF.. :(

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
IT GOES TO THE STARTER- To verify, just LOOK at the starter- Is there a big-ass threaded post sitting by the solenoid, looking like it's got nothing to do and nobody to hang out with? Then that's where you wanna go with that wire.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
LOOK EVERYONE!! that is a POSITIVE CONNECTIONG .. the starter is made of metal..... and it's atached to the engine!.. look how its by the positive battery terminal?

am i wrong about this one??

1 - 20 of 37 Posts