Supra Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seem to be missing this, and I am wondering if this would cause an oil leak if it were missing? And if so, could any bolt be used to block it off?

G

·
what the hell is that? its it strictly for a bolt or can it be some sort of electrical connection? seeing its right next to the crank, it could *possibly* be a CKP (crank postition sensor), but if ur missing it, the car probably wouldnt start for sh*t. if u can, post a clearer picture of it and i can show it to one of the master techs i know, im sure theyll be able to ID the sob.

Eric

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
btw, i ask this question because i am losing about 1 quart of oil every 5 mins, and thought i blew or popped out my front main seal, but when i take everything off my front main seal seems to be fine and intact, but noticed that gapping hole staring at me, and wondering if this is the cause of my massive oil leak, thanks

btw, this is after a fresh motor rebiuld

G

·
DigSupras said:
what the hell is that? its it strictly for a bolt or can it be some sort of electrical connection? seeing its right next to the crank, it could *possibly* be a CKP (crank postition sensor), but if ur missing it, the car probably wouldnt start for sh*t. if u can, post a clearer picture of it and i can show it to one of the master techs i know, im sure theyll be able to ID the sob.

Eric
I looked at the picture and thought to myself "what the hell is that???" Then I saw your post.
:dunno:

·
Medium Ballin'
3,021 Posts
It's a tab that merely keeps the crank timing pulley from moving out. a lot of people leave them off when they rebuild motors and/or replace front main seals. if that pulley can slide on and off extremely easily i'd leave it in place but normally they are damn near seized in place so that tab will never do anything.

if it's off, it won't leak oil from there.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
bigmike said:
It's a tab that merely keeps the crank timing pulley from moving out. a lot of people leave them off when they rebuild motors and/or replace front main seals. if that pulley can slide on and off extremely easily i'd leave it in place but normally they are damn near seized in place so that tab will never do anything.

if it's off, it won't leak oil from there.
thank you very much :)

I ended up taking my current front main seal off even though it looked fine, and when i did i found that the spring had been crimped and wasnt completely on, so just replacing that seal, and hopefully that will solve the leak, thanks again

1 - 6 of 6 Posts