Supra Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently replaced my transmission oil with Red Line MT-90 and was wondering what MKIII owners think of this oil. I read many of the posts on this subject including the one that says Red Line MT-90 is not recommended fro the MKIII turbo. My service manual specifies GL-4 oil which is what Red Line MT-90 meets so I went ahead and used it. Although my opinion is subjective, I do think my transmission shifts easier. Has anyone experienced problems with MT-90? Have you been happy with MT-90?

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,352 Posts
I've never heard anyone have any problems with MT-90. I'm running it in my Supra as well as in my Corolla GT-S. I love the stuff... I could just drink it!!!!

:p

·
1991 1JZ
1,157 Posts
made no difference in my w58. my tranny to begin with really shifts fine, however the stick always got EXTREMELY hot. my shifter knob started to melt when i shortend it. also on hot days the tranny would get so hot that my radio would stop working. this is with whatever gear oil came stock, and mt90.

i dunno if this is some problem existing with the trans it self, but i switch to mobil one 75w90 gear oil and it shifts smoother, and the stick NEVER gets too hot to touch anymore.

·
Registered
344 Posts
mt-90 def made a differerence for me. shifts smoother but its not going to perform any miracles. no fluid will. but it impressed me enough to buy a second time when i changed my driveshaft so i guess i recommend it.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I had problems with MT-90 in my 91 R154.

The synchros moved too freely resulting in difficult shifts from 1-2 and 2-3.

This is a case where the reduced friction is too good and an approriate synthethic worked much better for me.

Granted, I drive is 100 degree plus weather most of the time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts