Supra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a new battery, what do you guys think is the best for my MKIV ('94 TT BPU++)

·
Registered
639 Posts
I LOVE my red top Optima/Interstate battery... Model number is AGM-800S I think... Also, yellow tops are great for a bunch of accessories, etc. You definitely want either one of these batteries, though... Mine was around $120 and completely sealed gel cell... No Maintenance and great warranty!!!

·
Supra OG
2,392 Posts
Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong, but the yellow top is not available in the reverse terminal configuration used on our dawgs. There is a orange top which is basically like a red top with higher CCA and the reversed terminals that is recommended for the supra. This info is available at the optima site.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
thedrew said:
I need a new battery, what do you guys think is the best for my MKIV ('94 TT BPU++)
What do you have planned for the car? Is your main concern about starting the car and enough juice to run your stock radio? If so, any stock equivalent battery will suffice for about half as much as the higher caliber red/yellow/orange top Optima batteries. But if money isn't an issue go with Optimas!

Anyone tried using those Sears DIEHARD battery with the remote thing?

·
Registered
458 Posts
I've been running a Dyna-Batt from PerformanceDistributors.com for a couple of months with no problems. It's the dry-cell, really tiny battery that you can put just about anywhere, and it's under 15 lbs. I have the 6-speed which has the lower output alternator with a sound system running two Fosgate amps, two electric fans and AC this summer and it hasn't drawn down a bit yet. I'm going to try another drycell out just to see how others do as well a little later on so I'll have to let you know how that goes...

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong, but the yellow top is not available in the reverse terminal configuration used on our dawgs. There is a orange top which is basically like a red top with higher CCA and the reversed terminals that is recommended for the supra. This info is available at the optima site.
So orange top would be the choice if a new battery is needed. For me, money is not a issue.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
I just got the orange top. Seems nice but the plastic spacer that I got with it was still a 1/4 inch too short. I ended up using two pieces of 5/8 particle board as a spacer now all is good. There is a pic on my web site. Terminals are monster cable.

·
Supra OG
1,002 Posts
XCELR8 said:
You're absolutely right. I have an Optima Orange Top myself and am very happy with it. It also fit perfectly which is a nice plus.. ;)

Andi

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
supra400hptt said:
I just got the orange top. Seems nice but the plastic spacer that I got with it was still a 1/4 inch too short. I ended up using two pieces of 5/8 particle board as a spacer now all is good. There is a pic on my web site. Terminals are monster cable.
Where did you get the Monster cables for your battery? They didn't come with the Optima did they?

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Got the monster cable terminals from a stereo shop. The pos has the two screws on top and two 8 gauge set screw holes on the back. If you take the circular factory piece apart on the pos side you are left with basically ring type terminals on the factory pos wires. Then they bolt right up to the new terminals. On the other side I am going to be adding a 2 gauge with ring terminal for the stereo I'm putting in. On the neg side, the factory wire runs down to the body of the car, is bolted and continues on. I just disconnected the neg wire and set it aside, then made a new wire with ring terminals that runs from the battery to were the factory wire bolts to the body. About 12 inches long. You can't take the neg terminal apart like the pos side. It's a straight crimp on deal. I wanted to upgrade the neg wire anyway with a little bigger wire since I'm adding a medium power stereo amp. My big problem with the battery was getting it up to the right height so the factory hold down brace was clamping the battery solid. The plastic spacer they gave me was still a little short and compressed even more with the weight of the battery on it. Two pieces of 5/8 partical board screwed together was perfect. I put multiple layers of black paint on it to water proof it. For over kill I screwed the factory batter tray to the new spacer from underneath and then screwed the battery to the new spacer through the holes at the bottom. The battery is in there rock solid now. Only thing I don't like is the color but I might make a cover or something when I'm bored one of these days.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts