Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at buying a supra very soon and so I'm starting to research them a lot. I'm wondering what kind of RWHP I could expect to be able to make and still keep the car reliable with this bottom end:

8.5:1 Compression
Bored .40 over (87mm)
CP Pistons
Crower Billet Rods
ARP Head Studs

This car would be using a MVP Map ECU for tuning, probably a SP76 turbo or something similar, a BoostLogic built auto (stock tranny, not the TH400), Boostlogic 3800 stall converter, HKS twin power ignition, and all the supporting mods such as fuel, etc.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Justin187 said:
All that with a map ECU?

Ems for sure.
Well it's a car that I'm looking to buy, and this is the current setup other than it currently has a smaller turbo. I want to know what kind of rwhp i could get out of it with just a bigger turbo and bigger injectors.

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
CannibalCobra said:
I'm wondering what kind of RWHP I could expect to be able to make and still keep the car reliable with this bottom end:

8.5:1 Compression
Bored .40 over (87mm)
CP Pistons
Crower Billet Rods
ARP Head Studs

It will support more power than I personally could ever handle. You realize people make over 800whp reliably on completely stock bottom ends right?

·
The Hustler
1,290 Posts
People have made 1000+ on stock short blocks. A built bottom end with the propper head and valves, IF ASSEMBLED CORRECTLY, should be pretty close to bullet proof. A 76mm turbo wont be close to pushing the limits on a built motor without N20.

·
iSketch Master!
9,045 Posts
What do you mean all that with just a MAP-ECU?? you can do all that with just a VPC, which many still run. MAP-ECU will be just fine. And honestly, almost any power goal with a built bottom end will be in sight. Most NORMAL peoples power goals on our stock bottom end would be good enough. But we arent normal people, :lol:

Alex

·
Turbo Pilot Since 1983
1,116 Posts
The bottom end will hold up fine! The SP76 will be pushing the limits of the built Toyota transmission. Sure it will be fine for a while, but only a while!

David

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
IGGYWOOWOO said:
I don't know about the .40 over. I have been advised that is getting the cylinder wall too thin. Why .40?

Brandon
That's what it is already bored out to. As I stated, this is what's done to a car that I'm looking at buying. I know that some have reached as much as 1000rwhp on the stock bottom end, but I mainly want to know how much RELIABLE rwhp this bottom end could handle. If it could do 900rwhp and still be reliable, then I would be happy.

My other concern would be the tranny and converter. I will NOT go to a TH400, so what kind of power can the Boostlogic automatic handle. And I've heard that the PI converters that boostlogic sells aren't very strong. So I figure I might have to go with a Neal Chance converter. I know they have held up in the Sound Performance car for a while.

And as for the MAP ECU, I have a friend here in Springfield that just went 10.03 this weekend and is still only running an SAFC-II and doesn't plan to change that, so I figured that the MAP ECU would work.

·
How does my exhaust smell
1,014 Posts
If that block was built correctly, it should have no problem handling 900rwhp.

Reliability of a car with that kind of power is a combination of good engine building, good parts, and good tuning. If any of those are not right, the entire combination will fail.

The transmission will not last as long time with that much power. If you want it to last 24k miles or more, I would look to limit the power to 700rwhp or less. The BL tranny can hold more power than 700rwhp, but your post seem to indicate that you don't want to rebuild it every racing season.

About your friend that ran a 10.03 with an SAFC-II. I have never heard of that with a Supra, so I am supposing that it is some other kind of car. To get reliable performance with the Supra, it is safest to go with what is proven. You should be fine with a MAP-ECU, or AEM if properly tuned, but tuning again is the key with any system. Don't expect a stock ECU Supra with an SAFC to do anything reliably after you shed the stock turbos.

·
1,020 Posts
Alx2785 said:
What do you mean all that with just a MAP-ECU?? you can do all that with just a VPC, which many still run. MAP-ECU will be just fine. And honestly, almost any power goal with a built bottom end will be in sight. Most NORMAL peoples power goals on our stock bottom end would be good enough. But we arent normal people, :lol:

Alex

There are things the stock computer can't do that an EMS can. I dont even need to start listing them.

Sure the car would work. I am not saying the map ecu is bad.

But the AEm or some other ems would be a better addition to this set-up.

:)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My friend that went 10.03 this weekend is running a 93 supra with a ball bearing 72mm turbo, a boostlogic auto, a small shot of nitrous to spool the turbo, and yes, an SAFC-II for tuning. I rode with him while he drove around tuning the car with the SAFC-II at different boost levels.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Bad4URHeart said:
Don't expect a stock ECU Supra with an SAFC to do anything reliably after you shed the stock turbos.
I've been running 26-32 PSI on big singles and VPC/SFC since 2001 (74GT-R since 2004, SP74 and T-64 prior to that). My stock short block still had 165+ compression on all cylinders when I checked it a few miles ago. IMO, one key is to keep good fuel in it if you're pushing it on the stock ecu.

·
Registered
484 Posts
CannibalCobra said:
My friend that went 10.03 this weekend is running a 93 supra with a ball bearing 72mm turbo, a boostlogic auto, a small shot of nitrous to spool the turbo, and yes, an SAFC-II for tuning. I rode with him while he drove around tuning the car with the SAFC-II at different boost levels.
That would be me... I've got the VPC/Safc2 combo for tuning, and yes, the car did 10.03 @ 137. Due to it shifting to overdrive during the pass, I'm sure my mph is way down, because the O/D isn't built to handle that kind of power. I assure you the tune is totally safe, the car is as driveable as stock...The only reason I'm considering AEM is for the increased rev limit capabilities.

·
1,150+ rwhp club
4,438 Posts
CannibalCobra said:
true story. He is InTheRed on here.

Cory cory cory... a supra meow? Good luck.

Edit - wow, he posted at the same time as me... weird.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
JamesN1830 said:
true story. He is InTheRed on here.

Cory cory cory... a supra meow? Good luck.

Edit - wow, he posted at the same time as me... weird.
yep, i'm really thinking about a supra. of course no one else thinks it's a good idea, other than adam, but i still like them.

·
1,150+ rwhp club
4,438 Posts
CannibalCobra said:
yep, i'm really thinking about a supra. of course no one else thinks it's a good idea, other than adam, but i still like them.

I'm neutral on the matter.

Good luck with your 03 cobra drag car.
Good luck with your lingenfelter vette.
Good luck buying a 700 plus rwhp supra.
Good luck making it to age 20.

·
Registered
484 Posts
JamesN1830 said:
I'm neutral on the matter.

Good luck with your 03 cobra drag car.
Good luck with your lingenfelter vette.
Good luck buying a 700 plus rwhp supra.
Good luck making it to age 20.
lol :urowned: j/k cory I say the more supra's in town the better.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts