Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
IJM Mafia!
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was reading another thread, someone asked about someone else's drag car being daily drivable...it got me thinking, what makes a car not daily drivable? i can't understand why a 1000 WHP (for example) supra can't be daily drivable, or is it that nobody would want to risk all the money invested into it? it's not like you can't turn down your boost controller, maybe i could understand a naturally aspirated car pushing 1k WHP as it would have a lot of low-end power that isn't really needed to cruise at the speed limit, but with a supra, just don't rev to where you will get into boost, right?

·
what comes out the butt?
4,463 Posts
anything over 700whp is pretty rediculous on the street

usually you find alot of big power cars always using high octane racegas ONLY...which DOES mean you cant really turn boost down much..

big power cars have alot of traction problems on the street, and also tend to run real rich during daily driving...which isnt good

its kinda just common sense..

·
Supra TT Senior
1,886 Posts
IndiShukla said:
hit the gas a little and ur back wheels will spin like crazy and ull fish tail all over the place
Actually with these 1K hp supras in question, hit the gas a little probably doesn't even build postive boost yet...

When the boost does kick in though...that's when I'm sure the fish tailing begins...

·
NFA Pimp
2,734 Posts
With a Supra capable of making that much power I would imagine driving around in daily traffic would be a bear. The constant stop and go and little quick acceleration would suck with a big ass turbo. I mean you could daily drive it but it wouldn't be as fun. Some people do it all the time, but you can only put up with so much on a daily grind.

·
Akai Suisei - 赤い彗星
10,376 Posts
G said:
With a Supra capable of making that much power I would imagine driving around in daily traffic would be a bear. The constant stop and go and little quick acceleration would suck with a big ass turbo. I mean you could daily drive it but it wouldn't be as fun. Some people do it all the time, but you can only put up with so much on a daily grind.

not to mention a car with that kind of power would have a clutch that might not be the must fun to tool around the city in daily. if its manual.

·
LLOOYYDDD!!!!!!!!!!
340 Posts
I know alot of fast drag cars cannot street drive because they will overheat. I dont thinks supras have that problem but I may be wrong.

·
Damn Spaniards
2,328 Posts
hmm many reasons really.

Traction- will be a problem even at low boost. There is a a lot more oil and bullshit on the ground than there is at the track. If you were to hit positive boost on the street you could really have a problem.

Race Gas-It isn't cheap. Driving on a tune meant for big power for the daily grind isn't very money friendly. You can't just turn the boost way down. To make 1K at the wheels you need a the whole set up and cars making that power the lowest setting is usally 20-25psi or wherever their wastegat spring is.

Clutch- A clutch that works like a lightswitch is not only going to be a pain in the ass to drive in any traffic, it could be bad for the clutch dick to be constantly working it. These clutch set-ups for this power were never meant to be driven on the street. The pressure plate will also likely require addional effort to spomp through the floor and trying to feather it will likely make your left leg bigger than your right.

The guys that drive these 1K cars on the street likely never put more than a few on them tops a year. I suppose you could, but I wouldn't. Too big a pain in the ass IMO. Just get a daily.

edit: How do you over 900 posts in a year and not know anything about these cars?

·
IJM Mafia!
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
GTR-33 said:
it could be bad for the clutch dick to be constantly working it.
LMAO i had to point that out

but about having 900 posts, i have no clue...i think it's because most of my posts are complimenting members or posting how much i think a car is worth...that's pretty much it...i DO search when it works, but it wasn't earlier

·
IJM Mafia!
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
GTR-33 said:
I was just giving you a hard time. Maybe it's from making posts like the one above? ;)
LMAO and like this one

i seriously should stop being a post whore....i swear i don't do it on purpose, i just like to voice my opinion and make stupid comments on things

EDIT: i didn't take it personally, i've learned that on SF, you've just got to accept that some people just don't/won't/can't like you or anybody and it's not your fault

·
Lag = Foreplay
474 Posts
also 1kHP + cars have had to sacrafice comforts like ac heat sound deadning etc.. to get to the drag setup that was desired. And i cannot picture climing over a roll bar in a 3pc suit :)

·
Registered
414 Posts
MaliCali said:
Just look at their age and it all makes sense,

As for daily driving a highly modified car, is that its not going to be extremely reliable, you're fitting big intercoolers on the front, so you're probably going to be running into cooling issues.

From my experiences it was a pain to drive because of the idle problems compared to a stock setup, and the un-needed wear on the expensive parts you installed.

·
Lag = Foreplay
474 Posts
what does my age have to do with anything i have a good amout of experience with these cars.
as i probably own more cars at 16 then you do at 21. I dont mean to be rude or disrepectful in anyway to you or malicali but all i was saying was it is not practical. i just love how you jump on me for being 16 when someone just asked if a 1000 HP supra could be driven daily.The only point i was trying to get across was that they are not as comfortable to drive as say a street car. Not to meniton the fatc that they are not as reliable.

·
Banned
2,132 Posts
Heres my list:
SPSSGT800 turbo kit
TH400 w/~4000 stall
Light weight alum driveshaft
No A/C no PS
Open downpipe
AEM
and everything to support nice high hp

guess what? i daily drive my car!
I take it grocery shopping!

on the topic of high hp supras and race gas:
you go to a shop... you buy a wastegate spring... lets say, oh 1 bar.... you put it in your wastegate... you tune your car.... voila! ~14.7 psi and pump gas!
when you go to the track... pop in your other wg spring and run high boost w/ race gas and throw some timing into your map

it costs about $100 in tuning, and $50 in a wastegate and you can save hundreds in gas as well as be able to drive the car daily

next... you take your time and meticulously solve your cooling issues! its not that hard to get more air going thru the intercooler/trans coolers/radiator!
mine was as simple as getting and aftermarket bumper with a larger opening!

reliability? after i got rid of that POS toyota tranny, my car became daily driveable!
as long as i dont get on the boost (which i rarely do) the car is as easy to drive as a honda civic

Wilks - Im young... i built my supra MYSELF... i maintain my supra MYSELF... being young, i am actually able to learn new things and apply them... older people on the other hand have a slightly higher income than I which in turn they can pay someone to do the work... and when it comes to spending an extra $~200 they cheap out and claim their car is a "drag car"

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
I've had a single for about 3-4 years, I don't feel my car is compromised at all as a daily driver from a driving standpoint, although the requirement of changing the damned spark plugs very often, rear tires at 5000 to 7000 miles and the expen$ive synthetic oil changes at 2500-3000 miles is not good for DD. The car is perfectly civillized and driveable in traffic, although it is much happier at speed than screwing around in 40 mph stop and go traffic. I've never had heat issues on road or track.

I really think any MKIV owner (and definitely singled) should at least have a cheap daily driver, something that can get by 87 octane gas, cheap oil at 5000 miles or so and cheap tires at about 60 to 80,000 miles a set, like my Tacoma. The THOUSANDS of dollars I probably save a year by daily driving the Tacoma pays for the truck with ease, not to mention I earn money through work by driving it to job sites. Plus I like to keep the Supra clean and in premo condition. I wouldn't dream of being without a daily driver for these reasons.

·
Registered
980 Posts
MaliCali said:
anything over 700whp is pretty rediculous on the street

usually you find alot of big power cars always using high octane racegas ONLY...which DOES mean you cant really turn boost down much..

big power cars have alot of traction problems on the street, and also tend to run real rich during daily driving...which isnt good

its kinda just common sense..
Huh? Why can't you turn boost down with race gas? Answer: You can. It as easy as turning a knob.

If you don't want traction problems, don't hold the gas down...it's that simple. Run real rich? Where are you getting this? Cars at that power level have tuning electronics.

There are only two reasons why I don't DD my car. 1) Mileage 2) I don't want my car subjected to sunlight/weather all day in a parking lot.

Other then that, I'd love to drive it every day. It's very fun, comfortable, and easy to drive. The clutch isn't an issue at all.

·
Registered
105 Posts
My daily driver is a near stock '91 MGTE w/AT. She runs fine on 87 octane, gets decent mileage, never complains about sitting all day in crowded parking lots (filled with beaters driven by thoughtless morons) in the rain or 100+ degree temperatures, draws little to no attention from the smog/speed nazis, and never complains aout the fact that I don't carry comp & collision insurance on her.
She looks remarkably good and still manages to get me where I going in a hurry.
She's forgotten the significance of "excessive miles on the odometer" and "depreciation"! What's not to love?

On the other hand, my '97tt BPU 6-speed (with 42,000 miles) tends to appreciate the finer things in life (as do I). Being only BPU, her manners of course are impeccable, but I've always treated my mistress a hell of a lot better than I treat my cousin!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts