Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
J-Spec 4 Life
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a thread below regarding when the 900whp mark was made, it got me to thinking. Everytime I've read a magazine which featured a modified or at times a stock Supra there is the quote "with power so easy to attain with the 2JZGTE etc" not those words but you get the idea.
My question is what makes the engine so special that it can
1. handle just about anything you throw at it
2. with such "ease"

I read in a thread somewhere where someone said somthing like "that's why you don' boost the VQ35 or whatever the nissan or infiniti motor is"

I don't much or anything reagarding engines so maybe the answer is quite simple but it's been bugging me for a while and the thread that i mentioned only made me want to find out more.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
The search button does.

j/k

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
It was featured in a movie... automatic "potential." J/K

Just newer design and from Toyota.... I guess unless a motor's built with HP/boosting in mind, it really lacks the internals to support it.

·
Never narc'd on nobody
3,246 Posts
That's really the easiest answer....it as a motor built by Toyota for fairly high boost (even stock) and reliable performance.

Toyota motors are all built tough, the ones with FI are traditionally even stouter. By association, the toughest Toyota motor will be one of the strongest period.

·
2JZ yes shit
1,012 Posts
Just whip out the bible of Toyota and flip to the preface. It's clearly written that as God was creating the bottom end, 6 of Jesus' disciples were each assigned to one port on the intake and the other 6 were assigned to one port on the exhaust; all while Jesus put the final touches on the head. When it was done, Jesus and the disciples were all crucified so that never again in the history of man can a better motor be built.

Common knowledge man...

·
Premium Member
11,271 Posts
mike91t said:
Head flow and design along witht the bottom end to keep it all together...
Honestly the head flow sucks. Every Honda head, DSM head, and Nissan VG and VQ heads flow much better than a 2J. If we could get a 2J head to flow like a Honda or Nissan.... we'd be seeing 2000 HP 2Js!!

·
Super Moderator
10,498 Posts
Cast iron bottom block, forged OEM rods, forged OEM crank (offset), square motor (86 x 86 bore and stroke), some of the lightest OEM cast pistons available, inherent balance of an in-line six (no second order vibrations) and Toyota quality, reliability and durability all rolled into one. Makes for one of the greatest engines every manufactured for the masses along with the SBC and a few others.

Ken.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Chuck Norris built the engine. What you think.

·
Premium Member
11,271 Posts
KenHenderson said:
Cast iron bottom block, forged OEM rods, forged OEM crank (offset), square motor (86 x 86 bore and stroke), some of the lightest OEM cast pistons available, inherent balance of an in-line six (no second order vibrations) and Toyota quality, reliability and durability all rolled into one. Makes for one of the greatest engines every manufactured for the masses along with the SBC and a few others.

Ken.

All true Ken!

Think about it.... we can make about 850 RWHP ~ 1000 Crank HP RELIABLY on the stock long block. That is 333HP per Liter.

That is equivalent to a Vette making 1900, a Mustang making 1530, a Viper making 2700!! Never gonna happen!

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Sound Performance said:
All true Ken!

Think about it.... we can make about 850 RWHP ~ 1000 Crank HP RELIABLY on the stock long block. That is 333HP per Liter.

That is equivalent to a Vette making 1900, a Mustang making 1530, a Viper making 2700!! Never gonna happen!

Very interesting way of putting things, Ken and SP :)

But I'm still confused why some people hate on the replacement blocks. Is what I've heard just rumors (bearings, clearances etc), or are they truly inferior to the original/OEM blocks?

sean

·
Super Moderator
10,498 Posts
blkturbo! said:
But I'm still confused why some people hate on the replacement blocks. Is what I've heard just rumors (bearings, clearances etc), or are they truly inferior to the original/OEM blocks?

sean
Sean,

Rumors...... and inexperienced 2JZ-GTE engine builders is the short answer. Read the last page or so of Jelliman's stickie. All of his unsupported and alarmist statements come crashing down like a house of cards. As long as you have a competent and experienced 2JZ-GTE engine builder (SPE, SP, Titan, Performance Motor Sports/BoostLogic, VirtualWorks, PHR, WOTM and others), you should not have any issues with new Toyota shortblocks. If a guy has never built a 2JZ-GTE, no matter how many 1000 whp Ford and Chevy motors they claimed to have built, I'd take it somewhere else; simple as that.

Ken.

P.S. I purchased a new shortblock when I went stroker, btw.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
KenHenderson said:
Sean,

P.S. I purchased a new shortblock when I went stroker, btw.

But I was thinking in terms of a new block, untouched (not rebuilt for additional strength). I'm at 70k miles....and when the day comes to get another block, I'd like to just buy it and drop it in (and be able to sleep well), since I have no intensions of ever trying to beat an 800hp mark.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Sound Performance said:
Honestly the head flow sucks. Every Honda head, DSM head, and Nissan VG and VQ heads flow much better than a 2J. If we could get a 2J head to flow like a Honda or Nissan.... we'd be seeing 2000 HP 2Js!!
I assume this is something that is very difficult to change then? Or it would have already been done. Why can't the head be made to flow better, or perhaps the better way to put it would be 'significantly better'?

·
'95 SC300 2jzgte/T78
1,719 Posts
Sound Performance said:
True dat!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts