Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Live your dreams
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a recent trip back from Vegas, I kept a steady 85mph.

I managed to get only 20mpg.
Stock 94TT with bad (non-stock & very restricting) exhaust - just before I changed to the TRD & DP).

What do you guys get for fwy miles? I'm at stock boost, btw.

Jay :cool:

·
Live your dreams
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I forgot to mention in my original post that, if I'm not mistaken, then in the last issue of Sport Compact cars magazine where they compared 10 cars, Mani's Supra managed to get 32mpg.

I don't have the magazine handy and I hope that I haven't mis-quoted a wrong #.

Is it reasonable for a 3L eng/almost 4k Lb car to run 32mpg fwy miles?

·
Registered
19 Posts
My '94 TT BPU(RMM DP, BCC, Greddy SP, HKS intake) 6-speed would get 26-27mpg if I kept it under 80. I'd drop to mid 20's if I broke the 80-85mph mark. I always ran premium fuel so I don't know if regular unleaded lowers the mileage or not.

I bought the car in Atlanta, Ga and drove it home to Denver, Co. On that trip I drove nearly 1500 miles in 26 hours. I was commonly driving 100-130mph out on open Interstate and I averaged 24.8 mpg over almost 1500 miles. Of course I had to drive the speed limit through cities and what not but overall I was impressed considering the speeds I was running.

I have the tickets to prove it. Two Kansas state troopers wrote me tickets, 5 minutes apart @ 3am in the morning. The first for 103mph in a 70, the second 107mph in a 70, just a few miles down the road.

NEVER turn your traction control off when pulling away from a Kansas State trooper. They don't enjoy having gravel and shredded rubber tossed at them as you pull away under full boost. :D

Just my $.02

·
Live your dreams
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Guess it's time for a tuneup!
I'm gonna' run another test to see the effect of the TRD ex.

Spark plugs + whatever else necessary next.

Any more # on mileage?

speed_daemon

It seems that running 24+ at 100+ mph is quite good, especially compared to my 20mpg @85mph.

Thanks for your input guys.

·
DitchByTheSideOfTheRoad
485 Posts
I was only getting about 20 or so at about 80-85. Remeber we have crappy 91 octane gas. These guys have 93 and I wouldn't be suprised if mani had some 100 octane in there...Also what tranny do you have? Auto's get less gas milage on Freeways.

·
Live your dreams
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
SdSupraTT,

Tranny-wise I have an auto. So is it the gear ratio? At 85mph I'm at around 3000rpm. Wonder what a 6spd is running at?

So, what mileage #s are you guys doing on 91 octane?

·
Registered
132 Posts
:-\

I get bout 10mpg... on my sp66 / 850cc injector setup... but think i need tuneing :(... today i used half tank and got bout 110 miles... o well

Mark

·
Registered
532 Posts
im bpu with some extras, running 93 octane, i get about 15-16 mpg, but i drive kinda spiritedly at times, and thru the city, which is major stoplights and traffic, so honestly i think i would get 18-20

·
Registered
259 Posts
I had to drive 125 miles on my spare once, so I kept it at about 60mph. I averaged about 25MPG.

Mark, I'm very concerned about your gas mileage program. Why don't you install the turbo kit and injectors into my Supra. You'll be able to double your gas mileage! :D

Ash
'93 SUPRA TT BPU

·
Registered
132 Posts
well there are many things probably causeing this... 1.. Im poor :), and i cant afford to do a major overhaul on my 100k hurting motor.. 2. My o2 sensors are still orginals and i have had race fuel and no cats for bout 80k miles... 3. Im always floored :) 4. Im rarely ever in 5th or 6th. 5. My rpms are usually up around 4500 to be ready for any race attempts or passes.

Mark

·
DitchByTheSideOfTheRoad
485 Posts
supra_10 said:
SdSupraTT,

Tranny-wise I have an auto. So is it the gear ratio? At 85mph I'm at around 3000rpm. Wonder what a 6spd is running at?

So, what mileage #s are you guys doing on 91 octane?
They don't call and Auto a slush box for nothing....you lose power going through the tranny/torque converter...Manual's have a direct connect so less power is lost.

I think that your gas milage is fine...I wouldn't worry...Your not driving around an econobox...Want gas Milage? get a hybird....Want acceleration? get the Supra baby.

Also remeber that the 15 is not just flat...it's going up and down hills the entire way.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Averaging 80 I can get about 23 mpg. If it's 80-85 I get about 20. The best I have ever gotten was over 27 at 70 mph. But in the city it's more like 16-18, depending on how many stoplights catch me. :p

Supra_10 the 6-speeds do about 3000 rpm at 85 mph. Then again if you have bigger tires/wheels you will actually be going faster than what the speedo says. I wouldn't mind if the 6th gear was slightly higher, say 2800 rpm at 85 but oh well.

·
Administrator
4,970 Posts
I've gotten from 8mpg to 23 mpg, but I usually average around 16-19mpg when I drive around locally (freeway and surface streets)

w/ Mani's car in the test, he never got on boost and was coasting in neutral a lot. Other cars were shutting off the motor when they could. It was a test purely for gas milage, there was a lot of messing around going on.

·
Supra Member
1,822 Posts
That's not fair. I have a mostly stock NA and some of you guys are making double my horsepower... but we're getting similar milage!

23mpg all highway, and 15~18 mixed driving, mostly city.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
I've gotten as low as 150 miles to a tank. This seems rediculous to me, i do drive the car quite hard though. And I think I need an APEX S-AFC to properly tune the car. My Greddy A/F gauge pegs on the rich side when I'm under full boost. I swear you can see the gas gauge drop after every pull. These were all things I was prepared for before buying the car though, so I'm not complaining.:D

-Ryan

Owner of wolrds most inefficient 6 cylinder

·
Registered
132 Posts
yea i hear that.. i just got 210 miles for my tank... not bad :).... thats actually good... for me at least... Damn single turbo crap..
but i wouldnt give up the power for better gas milage.

Mark

1 - 20 of 21 Posts