Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Banned
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The shop where i can get race fuels, have sunoco 100, 104, 110, 116 leaded.

I'll be out on the track soon and want to know, which is suitable for my applications? I dont want to detonate the engine.. Im just BPU (Exhaust, DP, EBC,Cam gears, FMIC. stock ecu)

·
No, ...It was NEVER NA!!!
1,417 Posts
I think on stock twins, you dont want to exceed 18psi, regaurdless. 100 octane should be plenty, I would think.

·
Registered
118 Posts
100 when you're on the track would be my suggestion. If you run 100 daily driving you're going to shorten the lifespan of that engine a lot.

(just don't go under 92 :) )

·
Registered
821 Posts
100 when you're on the track would be my suggestion. If you run 100 daily driving you're going to shorten the lifespan of that engine a lot. (just don't go under 92 :) )
How do you figure that?
*EDIT* BB6SE beat me to it.

Jza81 said:
ill be boosting around 1.4 bar, but boost spikes to 1.45 sometimes.
So your hitting about 20-21 psi? If yes I would say 100 should be fine.

·
Engmaineer
2,408 Posts
100 octane max.

The higher octane you run, that you don't require you will actually lose power.

You basically want to run the lowest octane you can get away with not detonating.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I basically have the same mods as him, but I have a Halman manual boost controller. Mines spikes just a little bit also. The spikes only happen when I press on the gas fast, and doesn't do it if I ease into the boost a little slower. Is 16PSI on 91oct be safe? Or should I put some 100 unleaded oct just to be safe and run 16PSI. The spiking worries me, friend blew his motor due to spiking!

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
If you run 100 daily driving you're going to shorten the lifespan of that engine a lot.
WTF?

OP, if you want full timing from the ECU, go with 110. 100 will get you close in most instances but the 110 will give you a safer margin. This is based on Josh's, Stoker6's, and my own logs, not SF heresay.

·
Stock Twin 6 spd King
1,731 Posts
Some mixed information in this thread....

Based on my experince, I have had the best luck with VP Q16 with my stock twins around 20-22psi. Even with Sunoco 104 octane the ECU was pulling timing. Before I went to straight Q16 I mixed Sunoco 104 with Sunoco 116 and monitored timing. With that 50/50 mix I saw full timing all the way through 4th gear. I only switched to Q16 to see if there would be a power increase by using the oxygenated Q16 in which there was. On Q16 I ran several 10.80's @ 128+ with the stock twins.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Running 1.4 bar is going to shorten the life of the turbos. Race gas won't shorten the life of the engine, I don't know who or what put that idea in to your head. Although, leaded fuel will kill your o2 sensors over time. I would stick with q116, for running mid to high boost. Meth is also a good alternative to race fuels around that psi.

·
Glad to be back
2,180 Posts
Some mixed information in this thread....

Based on my experince, I have had the best luck with VP Q16 with my stock twins around 20-22psi. Even with Sunoco 104 octane the ECU was pulling timing. Before I went to straight Q16 I mixed Sunoco 104 with Sunoco 116 and monitored timing. With that 50/50 mix I saw full timing all the way through 4th gear. I only switched to Q16 to see if there would be a power increase by using the oxygenated Q16 in which there was. On Q16 I ran several 10.80's @ 128+ with the stock twins.
Sorry a little off topic but where you TTC for those times?

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Yep as others have said stock twins at high boost require significantly more octane for prevent knock than was commonly known until as earl3 said myself and others actually monitored the stock ECU's timing to see what was really going on. I think you need to be close to 110 if you really want to push things and still have the benefit of full timing.

·
Hardtopper
252 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
For those ripping on me. The higher octane you use, the hotter it burns, the higher your horsepower, the more stress on your engine, the shorter it's lifespan.

Thats why stock cars and F-1 cars have engine shelf lives measured in weeks and months.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
For those ripping on me. The higher octane you use, the hotter it burns, the higher your horsepower, the more stress on your engine, the shorter it's lifespan.

Thats why stock cars and F-1 cars have engine shelf lives measured in weeks and months.
Guess I better start running 87 octane because I want my engine to last :run:

1 - 20 of 46 Posts