Supra Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Actual Member Since 2003
3,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I thinking about some new wheels and I am confused on the offset. I want to go 18x9 in the front and 18x11 or 18x10.5 in the rear but I dont know the offset. I tried to search for some information but nothing. I would like the offset to be large enough to clear a big brake kit. Can anyone help please? thank you

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Actually, I've had a similiar question brewing. . .I'm tentatively picking up some IForged rims from another forum member fairly soon but don't like the offset on the rear at all. The rims stick out too far. I'm not sure what offset to specifiy when I'm readly to pick up a new third piece from IForged to correct it, though.

Anybody?

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
At the top of the MkIV Technical section, there is a sticky by Steve Jarvis called "Then new wheel and fitment guide"; it's a spreadsheet that allows you to input any wheel width, offset, tire size combo, with or without fender roll/cut, and it shows you how/if it fits. IMO it is highly reliable and well proven.

JzPower&Associates said:
...I want to go 18x9 in the front and 18x11 or 18x10.5 in the rear but I dont know the offset..... I would like the offset to be large enough to clear a big brake kit
To me it seems like a very common misconception that offset somehow determines brake clearance. It has nothing to do with brake clearance. You have to find out from the wheel manufacturer, another owner of that wheel, or the wheel shop if they can guarantee it, if they clear stock Supra or big brakes or not. Choose the correct offset to make the wheel width you want come out to the location you want, flush with the fender, sticking out a bit, recesssed, whatever.

There is another sticky here somewhere, I think in this section, something like "post your wheels" with lots of wheels and pics where you can see what sizes fit and how in actual photos.

My wheels are close to what you mentioned; I have 18" X 9-1/2"F and 10-1/2"R both are +45mm offset and with 255/35F and 285/30R tires they sit flush, I have no fender or wheel well mods, on Tein HA's lowered about 1-1/4". With a very minor fender roll, I could easily fit 265/35F and 295/35R.

·
Actual Member Since 2003
3,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nick 95 6sp said:
At the top of the MkIV Technical section, there is a sticky by Steve Jarvis called "Then new wheel and fitment guide"; it's a spreadsheet that allows you to input any wheel width, offset, tire size combo, with or without fender roll/cut, and it shows you how/if it fits. IMO it is highly reliable and well proven.

To me it seems like a very common misconception that offset somehow determines brake clearance. It has nothing to do with brake clearance. You have to find out from the wheel manufacturer, another owner of that wheel, or the wheel shop if they can guarantee it, if they clear stock Supra or big brakes or not. Choose the correct offset to make the wheel width you want come out to the location you want, flush with the fender, sticking out a bit, recesssed, whatever.

There is another sticky here somewhere, I think in this section, something like "post your wheels" with lots of wheels and pics where you can see what sizes fit and how in actual photos.

My wheels are close to what you mentioned; I have 18" X 9-1/2"F and 10-1/2"R both are +45mm offset and with 255/35F and 285/30R tires they sit flush, I have no fender or wheel well mods, on Tein HA's lowered about 1-1/4". With a very minor fender roll, I could easily fit 265/35F and 295/35R.

thanks for the information, much appreciated!

·
Actual Member Since 2003
3,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nick 95 6sp said:

By the way Nick do you have any pictures of your wheels?

·
Registered
13,581 Posts

·
Registered
13,581 Posts

·
Actual Member Since 2003
3,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
cool, thanks nick for the input

1 - 9 of 9 Posts