Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
200+mph
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
and I don´t mean what brand. I mean what kind ?

I have a Mkiv Supra TT BPU++ and I was thinking what kind of oil I should use
btw boost is set at 1.2 bar(17.4 psi)

10w40 semi synthetic ???

Sry if this has been asked a thousand times before :) but the search thingy sucks

·
Registered
322 Posts
SupraTT/Iceland said:
and I don´t mean what brand. I mean what kind ?

I have a Mkiv Supra TT BPU++ and I was thinking what kind of oil I should use
btw boost is set at 1.2 bar(17.4 psi)

10w40 semi synthetic ???

Sry if this has been asked a thousand times before :) but the search thingy sucks
10w 30synthetic.... Redline or amsoil...

It's on your engine...

·
BPU is so 1997
5,353 Posts
I think about 90% of the people on here use Mobil 1 (full synthetic) 10W30. Some go with a heavier weight because of warmer climate or some oil consumption issues though.

·
200+mph
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
To4r-Supra said:
10w 30synthetic.... Redline or amsoil...

It's on your engine...
btw i forgot one thing. The shortblock and head are only driven 700 miles so this will be the first oil change since the new motor was put in. I am gonna change the oil at 1000 miles

·
Super Moderator!!ON PATROL ALL OVER!!
10,459 Posts
Hua said:
I think about 90% of the people on here use Mobil 1 (full synthetic) 10W30. Some go with a heavier weight because of warmer climate or some oil consumption issues though.
so true

other 10W30 synthetics to look at
are:
redline
royal purple
amsoil
castrol

i have used all in all my turbo cars with no problems

greddy has a new oil out but i have not seen any feed back on them yet.

·
BoosT AddicT
238 Posts
Hua said:
:werd:

·
BPU is so 1997
5,353 Posts
SupraTT/Iceland said:
btw i forgot one thing. The shortblock and head are only driven 700 miles so this will be the first oil change since the new motor was put in. I am gonna change the oil at 1000 miles
I would break the motor in with conventional motor oil first in that case. Although oil manufacturers claim that is no longer necessary with their new formulations over the years.

·
200+mph
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hua said:
I would break the motor in with conventional motor oil first in that case. Although oil manufacturers claim that is no longer necessary with their new formulations over the years.
so i shouldn´t use Mobil 1 (full synthetic) 10W30 now??? how many miles does it take to brake in the motor ?

·
10,459 Posts

·
ur moms favourite
1,404 Posts
Valvoline is another highly trusted and proven brand, outperformed mobil1 in a big oil test i saw recently, redline was constantly near the top with the valvoline, and royal purple was nowhere to be found.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Hua said:

Hmmmm...I thought it was because of the CNC machine tolerances being so tight.

·
200+mph
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
how many miles does it take to brake in the motor ? when is it safe to gun it to 7000 rpm ?

·
ur moms favourite
1,404 Posts
SupraTT/Iceland said:
how many miles does it take to brake in the motor ? when is it safe to gun it to 7000 rpm ?
80% of the engines break in is done in the first 20 miles, so break in really isnt too important any more. I'd say run break in oil, low boost and no more than about 5k rpm for the first couple hundred miles, load it up, then back off, keep the revs varied and dont drive it too easily - cylinder pressures help force the rings to bed. Then swap if out for the synthetic of your choice (make sure you're going to stick with it), and just drive it like you mean it :)

Replace your oil and filter again after about 1000miles.

·
10,459 Posts
gmacrae said:
Valvoline is another highly trusted and proven brand, outperformed mobil1 in a big oil test i saw recently, redline was constantly near the top with the valvoline, and royal purple was nowhere to be found.
any links to this .. seems like a good read.

·
ur moms favourite
1,404 Posts
Ranger498 said:
any links to this .. seems like a good read.
I think it might be in pdf on my home PC, will check when im back there in a few hours and post it here if i find it

·
10,459 Posts
gmacrae said:
I think it might be in pdf on my home PC, will check when im back there in a few hours and post it here if i find it
any new ?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts