Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rearend being replaced. Tec h tells me it doesn't have LSD? What's the straight story? Thanks for any help!

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LSD on NA

Thanks Axion for reply. Isn't there a code in VIN to indicate LSD-=-Anyone? Thanks for any help

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Soopra did you find code/ in VUN?

Did you have any luck finding code? Should be in VIN,but don't know what it is? ANYBODY?

·
Supra Member
1,822 Posts
Found it!

It's the 4th character in the A/TM section. In the picture I linked above, it's the second A in the code. A "C" or "D" indicates that you have an LSD. It's in the little Owner's Manual....

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks soopra!

When I get it back Tuesday, I'll check, let everyone know.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
what is this "LSD" you guys are talking about?

·
Registered
506 Posts
A LSD is a Limited Slip Diffirrential. It basicly tranfers power to both wheels when traction is lost. If you don't have one, the wheel w/ the least amount of traction will spin. If you do have one, both wheels will spin equally. To find out if you have one, go somewhere you have some room, let the car come to a complete stop, rev it to about 3-4k rpms, dump the clutch and see if you have 1 or 2 wheels spin. Mine does not have a LSD and i hate it, i really wish it came standard.

·
Senior
1,474 Posts
Well if that code is right , then I don't have one.:( Which Supras have the Torsen option? I keep hearing all this about the old clutch pack unit. Who has the worm & roller technology?:p
P.S. I dropped the clutch & left two patches too. It felt just like my mkIII which definitely did have the LSD(clutch pack type). Any more info on this?

·
The Stars At Night
1,460 Posts
HOORAY!!! i have one....sorry, im excited, i didnt think i did....

EDIT: whoops this is in the wrong thread...sorry i didnt mean to bump this up....

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
My '95 Lexus SC300 says: A/TM: AO3A/W58... My car was leaving two tire tracks everytime, but since I've lowered the car, it doesn't do it all the time now... Is this the weakest LSD Toyota has??? I took the lexus to Roebling Road race course and it handle really good on stock suspension(leaned alot though) and gave me reason to believe it had LSD, that and the burnouts... I have Tein Flex coilovers, I don't care about the burnouts as long as it still works on the track...

·
blur2ed.com
829 Posts
No. you actually have an open diff. If the code has a C or a D, then you have an LSD. Its just that the stock diff in the W58 is so good, it will leave two tire marks in burn outs most of the time. Its not good enough to do it consistently, which is where LSD comes in. sorry to dissapoint but you dont have LSD.
-Kapil

rabidus said:
My '95 Lexus SC300 says: A/TM: AO3A/W58... My car was leaving two tire tracks everytime, but since I've lowered the car, it doesn't do it all the time now... Is this the weakest LSD Toyota has??? I took the lexus to Roebling Road race course and it handle really good on stock suspension(leaned alot though) and gave me reason to believe it had LSD, that and the burnouts... I have Tein Flex coilovers, I don't care about the burnouts as long as it still works on the track...

·
Registered
582 Posts
Look if you wont to find out if you have an LSD the SAFE way (no cop problems) park it in the grage or driveway, jack up the rear so one tire is off the floor, rember to chalk the front wheels, take it out of gear and relese the hand brake. If you can turn your rear wheel by hand you do not have a LSD, if it turns but is verry hard to turn or does not turn at all than you do have an LSD.

I put a KAZZ LSD in may n/a about 2,000mi ago.
paid $950 for the LSD, $50 new bearrings & $40 to have them pessed into place.
I was quoted $1,000 to have it instaled (labor & berrings)
I thought that was too high so i instaled my self. as long as your diff. is not in need of repair it is verry essay to do.(i bought the repair manules from the toyota delier for specs & tourc settings)
If it needs repair their is a lot of teddious work to get the gears lined up, If you have experence working on cars you shold have no problem doing this( with the right mesuring tools).
Anyway- I love my LSD and it is the best mod I've made!

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
blur2ed said:
No. you actually have an open diff. If the code has a C or a D, then you have an LSD. Its just that the stock diff in the W58 is so good, it will leave two tire marks in burn outs most of the time. Its not good enough to do it consistently, which is where LSD comes in. sorry to dissapoint but you dont have LSD.
-Kapil
Before I lowered the car, I left two tire track everytime, now it only does sometimes... Accually I don't leave any tracks now, I need a clutch after 114,000 miles, I put the last 10,000 miles on it, a number of burnouts, drag strip and one track day(65 laps on 2.02 mile track, Roebling Rd raceway)...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts