Supra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've had some issues with my car. Fairly new setup with a stock block. It leaked oil so I took it to Toyota to do some OEM repair. First they said it was the front crank seal and the cam seals. So I said ok fix it. Drove it away and it started leaking again. This time it was the oil pump. They did a dye test and showed me where it was leaking from. Sooooo, after that was done I drove it like a baby and put about a 100 miles on it and no oil leak. However, I noticed that when I start the car it sounds a little funny. It's not as smooth when the starter is cranking. After a week I noticed this noise from the motor that got louder on the way home, and this is what it sounded like when I pulled into the garage. What do you guys think it is? Is it something Toyota did, is it the head, or a rod bearing?

http://media.putfile.com/What-does-this-sound-like-to-you

·
Registered
707 Posts
Ouch, rod bearing. I would take it back to Toyota and pray they will work out a deal on a new short block.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i cant get the clip on my comp ...is it knocking ?
Yes it's knocking with rpm's.

I'm taking it back to Toyota on Monday and they're going to scope it and see what it is. I wish there was a way to proove if it was something they did. I wonder why something like this would happen? Timing?

·
HighCompression+Boost=Win
1,888 Posts
If it's not rod knock, (it probably is) check the flywheel and clutch pressure plate to make sure all bolts you can get access to are tight.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's god's way of telling you to buy a stroker kit.:angel:
:) I know I know. It's eventually going to happen. I wanna see what Toyota says and then make my decision. I'd like to buy a used long block and put it in the car and build mine while it's out.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
maybe they screwed up when they removed/tightened the crank pulley
That might be an idea. Would that make the starter sound odd? Like it's having to work harder to start it?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts