Supra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
SupraForums Sponsor
4,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found that my bolts backed out a little from the turbo and one bolt was almost all the way out. Here is a pic of the after effect:

·
SupraForums Sponsor
4,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Obviously this caused a major leak there. Was putting too much anit-seize on the bolts the problem you guys think? What should I do when I put the new seal in? I didn't loc-tite them at all because they get loc-tited themselves very well.:) If I wanted to get the bolts off you know they would have been stuck on there, but since I didn't want them off...they turned themselves off.:rolleyes:

D

·
0 Posts
when I installed my turbo on my DSM i did not use either anti-seize or loc-tite on either of them, just torqued them down nice and tight. It is a little bit of a pain when I had to take it back off do to an oil leak, but a nice long wrench was able to remove it. I am not sure how easy supra turbo bolts are to get to so I am not sure if removing them and install the bolts are a pain or not.

If your going to use anti-seize just use a small dot and use your finger to rub it around the treads.

·
boost is good
772 Posts
performance disatvantage- might have hurt your spoolup some since with the leak not all the exhaust gas/energy was hitting the turbine

i havent ever used anti-seize or loctite on any of my turbo related bolts before..just torque them down nice and tight...and also use a lock washer in front of the nut or bolt.

just double check them after a few heat cycles and make sure they arent backing out and you should be good to go.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
gritsak said:
performance disatvantage- might have hurt your spoolup some since with the leak not all the exhaust gas/energy was hitting the turbine

i havent ever used anti-seize or loctite on any of my turbo related bolts before..just torque them down nice and tight...and also use a lock washer in front of the nut or bolt.

just double check them after a few heat cycles and make sure they arent backing out and you should be good to go.
agreed on the lock washer
i always anti seize with mine though
never had a problem of them backing out

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Aside from the lag and lack of exhaust gas to spin the turbo due to the leak, I think you'd see a huge rise of underhood temps.

TT_6SPD_95 said:
Obviously this caused a major leak there. Was putting too much anit-seize on the bolts the problem you guys think? What should I do when I put the new seal in? I didn't loc-tite them at all because they get loc-tited themselves very well.:) If I wanted to get the bolts off you know they would have been stuck on there, but since I didn't want them off...they turned themselves off.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
And make sure that gasket didn't tear up the tips of the turbine blades. I've seen it happen on RX-7 twins where the metal gasket comes apart, goes through the turbines and chews them up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts