Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently purchased a new set of work wheels and it was my first time cleaning the wheels over the weekend. I used simple green before to clean off the break dust and now they are clean but I can't finish them off. Every time I wipe down the rim there is a new streak. I used a micro fiber cloth, a terry cloth, and a paper towel. Whats your guys secret?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dukki said:
LEAF BLOWER.

THX

I wouldn't let simple green sit on your wheels for too long.
Yeah, I was worried about that. I am starting to think that if i keep up on cleaning my wheels there my be no need for the simple green.

·
ELITECUSTOMBODY
6,552 Posts
microfiber or absorber is the two things that dry without streaks,don't ever use paper towels on wheels or any surface other than glass, as you will be scratching the paint, chrome or polished aluminum :1poke:

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
MrJohnTan said:
Great choice in wheels! Any pics?

For my works, I use glass cleaner and a microfiber towel. Hope that helps...

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
MDSUPERSTAR said:
Use a quick detailer and MF.
Thanks and what does MF stand for? The only abbreviation I know isn't a car cleaner. LOL

·
Registered
687 Posts
You could polish them. Thats what I do...

Microfiber towel and some glaze.....just protects them a bit. The sun is horrible.

·
95 Hardtopper X 2
1,709 Posts
fuc*it said:
Thanks and what does MF stand for? The only abbreviation I know isn't a car cleaner. LOL
Micro Fiber ;)

·
Registered
500 Posts
I can't believe microfiber hasn't taken over the market yet. Cloths should now be obsolete when it comes to car care.

·
iSketch Master!
9,044 Posts
yeah honestly just rub them down with the MF. Drive around the block and wipe them down once again. Should be fine after that. If not throw some metal polish on them afterwards and there shouldnt be anything left at all.

Alex

·
Wangan Nasty
1,807 Posts
You have several choices. You can use a light wax/polish with a Microfiber and get em cleaned and protected. If you want to polish the wheels, since they are new. I recommend a light polish like WENOL Blue tube or Autoglym Wheel polish. These do not streak and do the job right. They dont leave any residue either.

I highly recommend you use microfibers ONLY for anything car detailing interior or exterior related except for tires. Better be safe than sorry.

Whenever I do wheels I always wax them so water/etc beads off and is easy to remove, Heres a few wheels i have done.

·
***** White Lover
503 Posts
When I clean my wheels I use Meguiars Gold Class CAR WASH Shampoo!! Yes, I said car shampoo. No wheel/tire cleaner. Nothing. Even if they state "Clear Coat Safe." There are chemicals in ALL wheel cleaners. If you DO NOT have chrome wheels, you have some sort of clear coat. The same clear that goes on your paint. Treat your wheels as your paint.

Here is what I do:

Fresh bucket of water and MG Gold Class Car Wash
Make a lot of SUDs!! SUDs help a lot.
Wash Wheel
Rinse
Dry with a clean microfiber waffle weave towel
If streaks, spray Meguiars Quick Detailer ,remember, treat wheel as paint. It has clear coat.
Finish off with a duo cotton/microfiber towel from:http://www.autopia-carcare.com/meg-x-2060.html

Your wheels will thank you for it. You can sub a "Wax as you Dry" product instead of a Quick Detailer if you like. Might leave a haze. Quick Detailer works best.

Have fun makin those puppies shine. Oh, almost forgot, here is a shop where you can pick up a set of Microfiber towels at a reasonable price, www.pakshak.com. Also, www.autopia-carcare.com has a lot of stuff. You can join the forum for free and contact the user pakshak and he willl give you a discount on his microfibers. Additional, if you have a WAL-MART, there are some inexpensive LARGE Microfiber towels that are $6. They are huge and make drying your car fast. I use two of them for my baby.

·
iSketch Master!
9,044 Posts
I wouldnt use any wheel cleaner at all for that matter. They seem to always fuk shit up no matter how safe they claim it is.

I just use whatever cheapy MF's for my wheels and tires. Everything else is kept seperate for the exterior and interior. Dont want grimy ass MF's on your paint!

Alex

·
966 Posts
You really shouldn't need to use a wheel cleaner more than a handful of times per year/season. It should be used when doing a thorough cleaning before you seal your wheels with a sealant (Zaino, 1Z, etc). Be very careful what wheel cleaner you use as some of the aftermarket wheels out there are not painted, but anodized. One can easily etch or damage the anodization using an incorrect wheel cleaner.

I suggest P21S wheel cleaner or S100, a less expensive but substantially similar product available at Harley dealers. After the "intensive" clean, use your favorite sealant to protect your wheels and car wash solution to regularly clean the wheels. Dry with a microfiber, prerably waffle weave.

I'm cringing at some of the products being mentioned here. :ugh2:

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the input. Possible with out it, I may have used some bad wheel cleaners and have damaged my new wheels.

·
Driver Down
1,991 Posts
Menzerna 7.5 Tire Gel and P21S Tire Cleaner are both the most gentle wheel cleaners out there.

I myself was with soapy water, but when needed, either of these can cut through some crap, and won't fuck up your wheels. :)

·
Banned
2,999 Posts
resourceful thread. i use NEVRDUL polish to bring out more shine outta the polished lip. what do you guys suggest to clean off the polish?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts