Supra Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
all stock no DPs or exhaust, what is recomended for a good launch? if you got a stock supra what is your sweet spot? Im still trying to find a good range to have a good launch and im getting 4k is good, but then i think i should go a little higher..

·
Registered
551 Posts
well if you think you should go a little bit higher then go a little bit higher! Youre not going to hurt anything as long as you remember to preload the drive train so you dont break anything.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
JSS829 said:
well if you think you should go a little bit higher then go a little bit higher! Youre not going to hurt anything as long as you remember to preload the drive train so you dont break anything.
how do you preload the drive train, havent heard of this i dont think.. you mean like warm it up?

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
how hard is it to share what your sweet spot is? 4, 5k 3.5k

·
Registered
288 Posts
There is slack in the drive line and when you lauch the slack is immediately taken up by metal to metal contact. This causes metal parts like gears to bang together and potentialy chip a tooth, crack.... It you take up the slack by brake boosting or a similar technique its alot easier on your drive line.

·
Registered
444 Posts
NickT916 said:
how do you preload the drive train, havent heard of this i dont think.. you mean like warm it up?
do you mean "boost braking" ????? :dunno:

·
Registered
444 Posts
or brake boosting????
maybe?

·
Supra Owner Since 1996
2,715 Posts
You should be slipping your clutch on the launch which, will in its self, preload the drivetrain. If you don't slip the clutch your either going to spin or bog. Preloading is still a good idea, but just as an FYI the Supra drive train is not metal to metal. Six speeds have a rubber dampened flywheel and a hard rubber puck between drive shaft and 3rd member.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hands On said:
You should be slipping your clutch on the launch which, will in its self, preload the drivetrain. If you don't slip the clutch your either going to spin or bog. Preloading is still a good idea, but just as an FYI the Supra drive train is not metal to metal. Six speeds have a rubber dampened flywheel and a hard rubber puck between drive shaft and 3rd member.
ok thanks , now i know what preloading is, i and my friends usually call it riding the clutch

·
Registered
143 Posts
OOO... i've never launched my supra before. but im sure the previous owner did. everytime i shift i can hear and feel play in my driveshaft, so i was too afraid to play with the monster. but the driveshaft is in good condition. there seems to be play somewhere along the driveling.. the differential or the tranny. and this can be cause by launching without preloading the drivetrain(riding the clutch?) correct? who would know whats wrong? and everytime i shift gear i hear this sound like metal banging. after i let go the clutch.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.