Supra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wanting to dyno my car, just to see where it's at compared to full BPU. The only piece of the BPU puzzle I'm missing is the upped boost (car reads about 14 psi max) and intake. Has anyone dynoed a similar setup?
I still have the stock air filter. Will just a K & N drop in make a big difference, or should I go to a cone filter?
Thanks!

C

·
0 Posts
BPU supras @ 18psi should always make 380-400rwhp. without a doubt.

if not then it could be many things that are wrong. boost leak, bad plugs, crappy turbos, or running waaaaaaaaay too rich.

[ March 09, 2001: Message edited by: CMKIV ]

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, but I'm primarily looking for dyno figures on about 14 psi. I might be dynoing on Sunday, so I'm looking for a baseline.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, I dynoed today. All runs are on 92 octane pump gas:

1st run (stock intake, Greddy BCC, DP, exhaust, Apexi BOV, trac fuse pulled):
343 rwhp - 332 tq

2nd run (also removed airbox lid and filter):
356 hp - 335 tq

3rd run (also pulled hoses): severe timing retard occurred due to lack of octane at ~5200 rpm:
362 hp - 378 tq

Looks like it's time to get some of Saad's 101 pump gas and strap it down again!

S

·
0 Posts
I dynoed 430.4rwhp and 442.9rwtq today with just intake, my new prototype downpipe and my B&B exhaust.

B

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by SupraDawg:
I dynoed 430.4rwhp and 442.9rwtq today with just intake, my new prototype downpipe and my B&B exhaust.
but was that pump gas ?

B

·
0 Posts
nevermind, I saw it at the other spot, it was 101 octane (which I'm sure makes a big difference)

by the way, I don't see any mention of a fuel cut defensing mod, I assume you had one of some kind or another?

S

·
0 Posts
Yes pump gas, I went to a normal gas station and pumped 101 into my engine...... ;)

·
Registered
147 Posts
430 RWHP is impressive for BPU...what are your mods. What would you guess the impact on rwhp from say 93 octane to 101 would be? 50 rwhp?

thanks!

Isaac

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
6 Fiend,
Those numbers are almost identical to
the results that Import Tuner got in the
Sept and Oct 2000 issues. You can see the
severe timing retard when they went to 18
lbs on pump gas. Area under the curve was
increased greatly even though peak hp only
came up ~8 hp. Torque went way up at 18lbs
also.
Wayne

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the vote of confidence, guys. As you can see by how up front with info I was, I'm not real concerned with having the biggest, baddest BPU out there. I mainly wanted to see what the car is capable of in everyday situations, and share the info for others. I usually don't run around town on $4/gal, 101 octane "pump gas". ;)
Ryan, it is freaking me out a little though, that you've never seen another dynoing Supra cut out like that at high boost on 92 octane. Hmmmm...

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Tozer is right, but if you want to get an idea how the car runs in everyday conditions look at the trap speeds (just don't let it sit there running is the staging lanes soaking up heat). For comparing power trap speeds are probably better IMO.

PS I see practically full timing advance in my car on the street, 22.5 degress at redline with the stock IC.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Mark, thanks for the info - that really helps give me a clearer picture of how this whole thing works. I know icing the car helps, but didn't realize how much. I didn't ice anything (should have), cuz I wasn't planning on turning up the boost. Of course, that's a hard urge to resist when you're surrounded by power-hungry single turbo Supra owners egging you on!!

Brian

[ March 16, 2001: Message edited by: 6 fiend ]

B

·
0 Posts
Gas Makes a huge difference!!!!!!!!!! My car put down 400rwhp and 410rwtq on pump gas with :DP, N1, BCC, AVCR, AFC, Cam Gears. I added 5 gallons of 110 octane to that 1/4 tank of 93 and the numbers jumped to 430rwhp and 450rwtq. All the runs were made with one fan on the front of the car and no ice or spraying the stock IC. Race gas is steroids for Supras!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts