Supra Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
IJM Mafia!
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
today, after fighting with my mom about my grades and a car, she decides to not help me out with getting a car at all...so now i was thinking of getting a C4 Corvette

what do you guys think is fair for me to expect to be able to pay for a car if i have a job at minimum wage and start working this summer and keep working throughout the year? i was looking at this one and while i may ot be able to buy this exact one, maybe i could get one for a similar price down the road

·
Registered
252 Posts
InvisibleMonkey said:
today, after fighting with my mom about my grades and a car, she decides to not help me out with getting a car at all...so now i was thinking of getting a C4 Corvette

what do you guys think is fair for me to expect to be able to pay for a car if i have a job at minimum wage and start working this summer and keep working throughout the year? i was looking at this one and while i may ot be able to buy this exact one, maybe i could get one for a similar price down the road

You should be worrying about getting an education. Your 16, get a civic for $5000 and pimp it up. At that age, your a dreamer. Get an education and when you graduate from college then get what you want. Parents are looking out whats best for YOU.

·
IJM Mafia!
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Whatever- my dad will put me on his insurance and my parents will split it as long as i have good grades

MkIV13- i don't want to be known as the kid with the riced out civic

kaneda- if i'm buying it myself, what's the problem? it's not like i'm getting a brand new Z06

supraman116- which is worse? minivan or elantra?

·
shotaro kaneda
2,048 Posts
InvisibleMonkey said:
i was thinking, isn't insurance on classic cars much less?
that's not considered a classic car. call your claims adjuster and ask how much it would be to put it on the policy with you as a driver, even on your parents policy they'll probably tell you you're uninusrable with it. i'm several years older than you and it would be a pain in the ass for me to insure a corvette.

·
shotaro kaneda
2,048 Posts
well, you should be more concerned with learning to drive and getting past the age of 19 without wrecking your car but off the top of my head...

quick out of the box:
MKIII
GSX/GS-T
FC3S

(may) require work (swap, NA-T, etc):
- SC300
- 240SX
- MKIII (1JZ)
- AE86/AE85
- GS300
- GC8 Impreza
- Miata

can be had for less than $10,000 but probably can't get insured:
- LS1 Z28 or SS Camaro (i almost got a 2000 SS for 12, a Z shouldn't cost much)
- FD3S (higher mileage cars with rebuilt motors can be had for around 10k)
- NA MKIV (every so often a high mileage car pops up in decent condition)
- Z32 300ZX

or just call it a day and pick up the be all end all of performance cars...the ford tauras SHO...:eek4dance

·
4 T's and an X
2,119 Posts
Hey if you can afford the vette, get it. Gas prices may kill you because you will have a lead foot but its your choice

·
IJM Mafia!
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
kaneda- thanks, i'll start looking into them, but every time i go on RX-7 club, people always tell me i'm in for a lot of headaches with an FD

last year around now actually, my mom called her insurance company (AAA) and asked them how much it would be for me in a 1998 6-speed, and it was about 1k/year, so i don't see an FD being much higher

TT Tarcel- i wish

·
Registered
46 Posts
I vote for 240SX, but I'm biased. At least the insurance wouldn't be bad. Unfortunatly, if you do an engine swap and start making decent power the engine will be worth more than the car.

I've owned one DSM, and I wouldn't buy another one so I don't like the GST or GSX idea.

·
I'll nevAr go single!
994 Posts
Put it this way, how soon do you wanna wreck your first car? (Edit: I guess second, you already blew a head gasket huh?)

In my opinion, I dont care who you are or the money you got, getting a Corvette at 16 is just stupid, unless it has less then 200HP.

·
IJM Mafia!
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Flea420 said:
(Edit: I guess second, you already blew a head gasket huh?)
it had a BHG when we got it, my mom bought it from her b/f who bought it from this old lady and the first time i started it, smoke came out

i have a video of the smoke and me revving the shit out of it if anyone wants to see it (i was bored and wasn't sure if i had a BHG, so i made a video and sent it to some people)

IM me if you want to see it, but it'll take a while (55MB)

1 - 20 of 102 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.