Supra Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
adammackintosh.net
5,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as we know theres 3 pre-sets, i only use 2 usually.

i run with a 00 - 00 setting almost 24/7 because i love the shopping cart hardness
and its incredibly stable at highway speeds

however, i also use 16 - 16 (max soft) often when the road is extremely bumpy, and when i have passangers (because i'm nice)

i'm also keen on 00 - 00 because i sense less body roll, and i think theres even less/zero wheel hop for those times where one 'accidently' breaks traction.

car weighs 3370 lbs with no driver, anyone recommend any different settings? and/or what do you guys use most often?

the kind of answer im looking for is like "i use 09 - 05 because ______"

im curious if anyone has played with various combinations and found the "perfect one". because sometimes when i drive over a pot hole with the edfc on 00 - 00 it feels like the engine is going to ram out the bottom of the car.

anyone have a softer setting that still acts tight when accelerating/cornering but sucks up bumps decently at lower speeds?

·
adammackintosh.net
5,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
no one uses the edfc or what?

its quite a badass unit

·
adammackintosh.net
5,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hm, lol thanks for bumping this.

i dont know why no one is providing feedback :wtf:

im curious to see what other people use for various applications.

my car responds differently between the 256 different settings.
so i, and other people aswell must be interested in what settings are being used for what on an mkiv supra

anyone have a setting that hooks better than 00-00 on street tires?

id like to find a an allround setting thats a bit softer than max hard, but doesnt produce sloppy drivetrain while feeling like the car is up on 2 wheels around a corner like 16-16 does.

i think it was Mr. Wob, but he mentioned his magic setting of 08-05 or 09-05 on his miata. so i got to thinking maybe i can find one like that for my #2 preset on my mkiv

i cant really break it down more than that?

im not gonna bump this again, until i goto the truck scale and find how my cars weight is distributed, and then spend countless hours trial and erroring on various roads with common attributes.

-adam

·
EchoDeDupra
4,118 Posts
I don't have an EDFC, but I have Tein Super Streets. I keep it full hard in the front, and a few clicks softer in the back so that my car can squat a little bit. I'm not sure if this is best way to do it, but someone told me a little squat can help getting out of the hole. I don't know how accurate that statement is though :dunno:.

·
Wobbiest: Three Laws Safe
6,137 Posts
Your settings are really going to depend on how you want the car to behave. You can drastically change the way a car behaves by adjusting your bias.

I can't speak for your settings on your Supra, but 0/0 seems like if you pushed it you will either have some pretty noticeable understeer or oversteer. It's hard to compare the Miata to the Supra as they are just completely different cars and will need different settings. It will not be just weighing the car. Frankly, the best way is trial and error.

What is the car being used for? Track, A/X, drag, street? I run 5/9 for A/X and 3/6 or so for the track. Frankly, I don't find any benefit to riding much harder than that. That being said, your car may, but I find no gains. Remember that stiffness does not equal the best handling. The harder you make your suspension work, the harder your tires need to work to compensate. The harder they work, the hotter they get and the easier it is to overheat them.

It doesn't sound like you are looking at track work though, you are running on the street probably or drag (?). I can't speak for drag - on the street I run a 7/12, which is still a little aggressive but I don't have EDFC as it's just extra space and weight. I set up a little more understeer for the street too since generally its a bit easier on the knuckles and colon. If your car is a drag only you should be playing with a softer setting in the rear - you would want the shocks to rebound a bit slower as to keep some of the weight transfer over the rear wheels. Keep in mind though that this can affect the cornering - so you need to be cautious. Don't just crank your rear down to 16 and keep your front at 0 without realizing you will be asking for massive understeer.

But again, what do my Miata settings mean to you? Frankly, little. You just need to experiment. But remember 16/16 may feel good, but it could be an oversteer or understeer disaster at 8/10ths+. If you don't ever see that, then drive with something comfortable that behaves well - I can't give you much more guidance then that. Your front rear bias will play little role as there is no magic setting. You could have 70/30 or 30/70 and it still wouldn't play much role in your settings until you found how you want the car to behave.

If you find 0/0 is too stiff then back it down. There is a happy medium in there for you. I dont suggest a 0/0 on the street anyway since that is just way too stiff IMO. What springs are you running? Before a weight bias test, try a good alignment - a VERY good alignment. A lot of how your car behaves will come from its alignment - before you start playing with settings, its good to have your car set up for it. Plus you have a base to start with. Right now you could be running some huge toe and a little change on f/r shock settings could seem really bad, whereas, it is just the alignment out of wack. Not to mention a good alignment is a big key in a good handling car.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts