• Turbo engine swap

Votes: 18 90.0%

• Total voters
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Professional White Man
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, my NA engine is starting to take a dump. I got the headgasket done and a new clutch, but the rings are getting weak and Im burning some oil. The car is in amazing condition, interior is flawless and paint is about a 9/10 and drives great. Here's what I am thinking about and I just want some feed back on what you guys would do

I can:

1. Buy a turbo supra thats in good condition and sell mine
- I found one in really good condition for a decent price, but I might not get too much for mine if Im burning oil

2. Keep my car and do an engine swap.

So what do you think?

·
Destroyer of Turbos
4,461 Posts
turbo it! na insc rate = good. plus its getting harder and harder to find a body and what not than to swap it over.

·
Professional White Man
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
MKIIINA said:
turbo it! na insc rate = good.
Ahhh! good point. The only down side is no targa and no lsd. But the 4:30's will make for some good acceleration (but bad gas mileage)

·
Boost Addict
622 Posts
hoser813 said:
Ahhh! good point. The only down side is no targa and no lsd. But the 4:30's will make for some good acceleration (but bad gas mileage)
not necessarily -- I got 22 mpg out of my last tank of gas (320 mi., 14.5 gal.), with mixed driving, running rich, and a few full boost runs demo-ing the noise of the ddp :) . As for the acceleration, 1st & 2nd run out pretty quick, 3rd - 5th pulls really hard to redline, ~130ish at 6500 in 5th. I also have no LSD, which is a pita occasionally, but that can be swapped. You can also change the gear ratio to that of the Turbo.

I would think the biggest question would be, do you really want a targa, or no? It was a requirement when I was shopping for my car, but everyone has different opinions of which they like better.

·
got sup
1,553 Posts
CassMori said:
not necessarily -- I got 22 mpg out of my last tank of gas (320 mi., 14.5 gal.), with mixed driving, running rich, and a few full boost runs demo-ing the noise of the ddp :) . As for the acceleration, 1st & 2nd run out pretty quick, 3rd - 5th pulls really hard to redline, ~130ish at 6500 in 5th. I also have no LSD, which is a pita occasionally, but that can be swapped. You can also change the gear ratio to that of the Turbo.

Yah i contributed to the ddp noise lol. i would say if ur car is what u like swap. ohh and neal that blue mustang was like wtf when u got on it in second and shook his head.

·
Boost Addict
622 Posts
skeeter019 said:
Yah i contributed to the ddp noise lol. i would say if ur car is what u like swap. ohh and neal that blue mustang was like wtf when u got on it in second and shook his head.
I wondered why he didn't catch up to me on the Interstate, saw him come up the ramp after I did :dunno: . Maybe he didn't have as much motor as we thought? Or maybe too many points on his license :D

BTW,did you notice how much white/black smoke was coming out when I did that?

·
Professional White Man
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
but what be more of a pain... finding and swapping a good turbo motor and tranny, or finding a new car?

·
got sup
1,553 Posts
CassMori said:
I wondered why he didn't catch up to me on the Interstate, saw him come up the ramp after I did :dunno: . Maybe he didn't have as much motor as we thought? Or maybe too many points on his license :D

BTW,did you notice how much white/black smoke was coming out when I did that?
He got on the interstate going my way and i dont believe he was much because he got beside me and i dropped it in 4th and pulled away and then he came beside me and tried the same thing but i pretty much stayed with him. And the amount of smoke i didnt see much just alittle bit of black smoke.

·
Search
3,305 Posts
If I were in your position I would keep my car untill a targa came along, regardless of a turbo/non turbo and then buy it, and sell yours...

in my opinion the targa makes the supra what it is... i know alot of people disagree but I love the targa :)

And definatly swap... isnruance is much easier on you

·
Search
3,305 Posts
hahah there ya go ^^^

And another reason to do the swap... if you have time to have your car down and do it right, its VERY fun to do :)

When i tore down my NA and rebuilt it and put it back in... i had a great time :)

don't know why the hell i didn't save up for a turbo :rolleyes:

·
Professional White Man
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Supra_brothers said:
keep your car and buy the turbo one too :lol:
I really want to do that, but have limited funds. I have enough for the swap, but cant afford not having a car for too long. Maybe I can get some beer and some local supra guys to come help me, because I wouldnt know the first place to start with all of that.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts