Supra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hey, im only 15 and im trying to figure out what im gonna buy, iv been working for almost two years now and i have money saved up to buy my car. im in love with the mkiv, but im not sure if its the right car for me, so im wondering if you all can help. i live in springfield mo, and even tho its small, there are some nice cars rollin around. i wanna get a bad ass car that not everyone has and that will beat the shit out of everything on the road. but im going to have to use it as my daily driver too, i looked at the rx7s but they seem too unreliable and as far as i can tell its cheaper to buy and mod a supra. so i was wondering you guys think i should do, that would be the cheapest, supra? or maybe just a big ass v8 t/a? thanx, id appreciate ur help

·
Registered
458 Posts
Once you get your license you should go test drive a couple of cars with someone, then you can start making your own decision. Your asking the wrong people to decide between a V8 TA and a Supra...

·
Registered
170 Posts
Start out with an older mustang or something. Get used to driving before you get something to wrap yourself around a telephone pole with. And here is a radical idea..... invest the money or use it for tuition. Then buying a supra or something even nicer will be no sweat. Don't bust your ass paying for a car you can't afford. In a couple years it will be no problem.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
---
that not everyone has
---

That is where a Supra comes in.. the Supra is the most uncommon of the bunch and probably the most reliable too, but from a supraforum you will be getting unbiased opinions probably, we all love our dawgs.. there are a few RX7 and Fbody guys on here too though, and they have really nice cars as well.. for you're age, unless you have a DAMN good job I would not recommend the RX7, because they do need work a lot more often then the other two... not all of them do, but ive heard more horror stories about their reliability than any other car (performance car)... the TA would probably be the most inexpensive to work on, since domestics seem to be a bit more affordable maintenance wise.. and the MKIV needs to be well maintained as well, however toyota quality is top notch, IF you do not neglect the car... You may not get to hear what you want from this thread though..

A lot of people here will probably argue that you should not start with a Supra as your first car, or the other two either.. I know how much you probably want one though... I was the same way at your age (im 19, almost 20 now) I ended up with a Celica GT as my first car and now that i look back, im glad that was my first car.. You may come out and be a damn good driver right away, but more often than not a begginner driver should probably start with something that has a little bit less power, simply because until you get the feel of driving, a performance car like that almost needs to be re-learned all over again, they are considerably different to drive than your average front wheel drive car with 150hp..

If you deep down inside KNOW you will take it slowly and not show off with it, not drive it like most crazy teenagers do (me included, I always drove my celica like a crazy bastard, I cant deny it.. its fun) and have the responsibility to take EXTREMELY good care of the car, get all routine maintenance done, and drive the car normally for a good period of time until you have some real world driving experience behind the wheel.. I guess getting a car like that right away wont be so bad.. but to be 100% honest, I think if you started with a car like that you would be a little over your head... and im not saying that like a jerk, im just simply saying maintenance costs, repairs, etc will be considerably higher than an average car, plus there is a VERY good chance you will wreck it, or even kill yourself or others in the process... new drivers often do have small accidents sometimes, not all... but I admit I got into a couple myself.. but I was always driving 'fast and furious' I suppose you could say :D

I cant really tell you what to do, because I wanted that sports car right away too.. and I know exactly how you feel right now.. trust me... I say if you know you will take it slowly, take care of it, and be responsible behind the wheel of that beast.. go for it... but if you dont have a pretty damn good paying job, and feel you may need a little experience before sitting behind the wheel of a powerful rear wheel drive monster... you may wanna start with something a bit more mild for a first car, then you can obviously step up to one... I say drive your parents car, for even as little as a month so you can at least get the feeling of real world driving, maybe you will come out and be a good ass driver right away.. I was a damn good driver, the only things that got me into accidents was when I was doing more 'sporty driving' and taking risks.. but my average/normal driving was and is still excellent... Also... If you live in an area that has snow, ice, bad weather etc... you will not be able to drive any of those 3 in that type of weather safely, rain is about as bad as you should go.. snow/ice is really asking to die.. so if thats the case, you also need to get yourself a winter car as well... with that said, I leave it upto you.. Just dont get a car like that and end up killing yourself, or totalling it.. you would be heart broken, and in serious debt most likely... and in my opinon, a supra should be saved for someone who is REALLY going to appreciate it and take damn good care of it, You might very well be one of those people destined to own a supra though!... whatever route you choose to take I wish you the best :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Get something affordable if YOU're the one that has to pay for it all... like a Corolla, or a Tercel. Hey, it's a Toyota...you're half way there to a SUPRA.

If Bank of Parents are sponsoring you, get a Ferrari.

You're only 15, so I say don't get anything expensive...Trust me, you'll find ways to fuck up with your buddys with a fast car...

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Granted, I'm not a supra owner ... but I'd suggest a 1991-1995 MR2 (see my sig :) ). There were a total of about 16,000 of them made in the US over those 5 years (http://www.kcimoc.com/mr2sold.html). I moved here to Santa Cruz and didn't find another mr2 in the area for about 2 weeks. Plus, if you get a turbo with some light mods you'll be able to keep up with most cars. I've got about $10k in cost and mods into my car right now, and I should be around 270hp. An MR2 turbo will cost about $7-10k less than the same year Supra TT.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks

thanks guys, i appreciate your help, in case you're wondering, i think im gonna go for a 240sx, and after maybe a year of experience, drop in an sr20. ill prob. play with that for a while, till after college. then once im older, and have deeper pockets ill go for my supra, its still my dream car. thanks all:D

·
Registered
255 Posts
Ahh darn.. I removed my initial response to this thread. This is not a tech question so it is in the wrong forum but you are new and don't know how things work here.

Definitely learning on a lower power, less rare car is a good way to go.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Showing good sense

All the response got you to thinking-- good. 240SX a pretty nice car--BUT Nissan has had sever financial problems for some years until being purchased recently by Renault. Mazda same problem/. Not a good decision in my opinion to buy any car from a financially troubled company. Why not a non turbe Supra shouldn't be too expensive--and still got the looks for the girls. MR2 was a good idea, too. Just stay away from turbos until you have a few years of good driving experience. One of best investments you or parents could make is sending you to a good driving (performance) school to learn about all the things that can happen in a car. Good luck!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts