Supra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to buy a Supra, I've got $7000 to spend, what do you think my best bet is? I'm trying for a 92 Turbo, but I can't find a good site to find info on mkIIIs... speed is a pretty important factor, but so is reliability and lasting power etc.. and I hear Turbo's don't last too long, but I'd be willing to do what it takes to keep it in great condition. So what you ya'll think?

·
ƒ=1/2π(√k/m)
9,996 Posts
Mmm, personally; I bought my supra for 3k, and it had a BHG, so figure around 4k 5k tops... and use your remaining money for repairs.... it's going to need it.. Once it's running., they're pretty built proof.

Have fun, and save money for gas.

·
Dr. Jeff Lange
9,351 Posts
I'm guessing a pretty good condition 92 Supra should go for around $6500 in pretty good condition, though personally I'd rather go with one a couple years older (1990) and then spend the extra money going with a metal head gasket.

Turbo's will last pretty long, so long as you keep the maintenance up.

·
Dr Wheelspin Rh.D.
4,393 Posts
As with any old sports car it will not be as reliable as a regular brand new car. There will be times when you get in the car and it doesn't start or doesn't run right. It's not a complete POS, but don't expect it to run perfect for years without maintenance. If you keep up the maintenance then the car will be mostly trouble free for many years. With that said, 92 is a very good year but rather hard to find since only around ~1,100 were sent to the US. If you want speed the turbo is really the only way to go. N/A's are fun, but will never be as fast as a turbo. You sacrifice a little bit of reliability and the turbo is harder to work on, but it's worth it in the end. Throw a new Toyota HG in it, torque the headbolts to 70ft/lbs and you'll be good to go until around 400rwhp.

·
Bring it.
489 Posts
Revolver said:
speed is a pretty important factor, but so is reliability and lasting power etc.. and I hear Turbo's don't last too long
Count on any supra you buy to have headgasket issues. Not because they will, but because you want to have money set aside to get the job done as fast as possible. At least count on upgrading the HG as soon as you get the car. That being said - a supra will not get you the trophy at the drags. It's not a great auto-x platform. They're definitely best adapted as a GT, so it's fantastic on the highway. Don't get me wrong, it's a very competent car in most performance aspects, but it won't be the best.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not going to be drag racing it or anything, I just want it to be quick when I need it to be, and maybe some street racing here and there (though I'd like to at least be able to beat the 50 zillion mustangs I see everywhere) ;) . I'm not dying for a 12 sec 1/4 mile.

·
Bring it.
489 Posts
Kracin said:
not trophy winners?? there are people running 9's with mk3s
Yeah, in the 1/8th mile. :rolleyes: Name some names, post some timeslips, if you want, because at the end of the day there are hundreds of other cars running better than 9s for every mkiii that can run a 9 or better.

·
Dr Wheelspin Rh.D.
4,393 Posts
I'm not dying for a 12 sec 1/4 mile.
Funny you should mention that, 12 second passes are relatively easy to get in a MK3 turbo. 11 second is much harder very few people have gotten a MK3 that fast. High 13 second passes are ridiculously easy, that's enough to beat quite a few domestics.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
how expensive is it to get those speeds? and are those things I can do myself in my drive-way? I'll most likely be getting an auto.

·
Dr Wheelspin Rh.D.
4,393 Posts
There are multiple ways to get to those speeds. There is no one right way, but there are some ways that have been proven more reliable. Intake, exhaust and boost controller will get you into the high 13's if your car is running strong and you buy quality parts $300-$2000. Add on a ct-26 turbo upgrade, 550cc injectors, Lexus AFM and an intercooler and you're in the 12's $1250-3000. Most of the stuff you can do yourself with basic tools and basic mechanic skills. The automatic will not get into the 12's easily at all, it will have to be reworked to hold that kind of power.

·
2/3 HP to the Paws
1,519 Posts
Re: Re: What should I look for?

lowinfinity said:
Count on any supra you buy to have headgasket issues.
:bsflag:

I've owned three MkIII's, soon to be going on to my fourth, and I've had exactly zero head gasket issues on any of them.

Torque them down, and use high octane fuel if running any significant amount of boost. It's a very simple formula to apply, but for whatever reason, some people think it's perfectly safe to run 12 psi on 91 octane, then blame the car when the HG blows due to detonation.

·
Bring it.
489 Posts
Re: Re: Re: What should I look for?

Simba said:

I've owned three MkIII's, soon to be going on to my fourth, and I've had exactly zero head gasket issues on any of them.
You don't know anything about how the previous owner treated the car. Better safe than sorry, just because you haven't had issues doesn't mean he shouldn't prepare.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts