Supra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1995 mkiv Supra N/A-T
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, new to the supra world, and I have managed to pick up a 1995 mkiv N/A-T supra. IM keen to make some more power from it and I have been told that upgrading the injectors would be my best bet, but wanted to know what else could be done.

Currently has just over 300hp on an ECU Emanage system with 440cc injectors running about 8psi of boost through the T-70 turbo conversion for the 2jz-ge. Has had an r154 box put in it with a 9 puck exedy clutch.
Also has a 12v Mod denso pump, 1.3mm HKS head gasket and full HKS exhaust system

Any input is really appreciated as I am new to the 2jz motors, but my dad and I know a fair few things about motors etc from our racing and mechanical background. Just want to see everyone's thoughts as to what i should be doing to this to make some more power. Cheers :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Injectors would be good. Besides that I would go ahead and put a cam in her. What are your power goals for the car?

·
Registered
27 Posts
You could get another 100hp out of those injectors but anything above that, upgrading would be a good idea as you say. Any idea what kind of fuel pump you have? That will need upgrading if you haven't already. A Walbro 255 will get you some extra headroom.

In terms of chasing more power, you're pretty much good to go to around 500hp if you add the pump and some bigger injectors (2JZs roughly require 1cc of injector size for 1hp and you'll want to take them to 80-90% duty cycle to be safe). What I would reccomend doing at some point in the near future though is upgrading the ECU to a standalone unit, converting your distributor setup to a coil on plug configuration (similar to the TT engines) and give everything a good once over. The distributors are getting old on these cars and even the new units seem to struggle more and more with the more boost you add (ask me how I know...).

Do you know what brand of turbo kit you have? I'm taking a guess at it being an XSPower one or something similar which people seem to have quite a lot of sucess with for the price of them. Just check your oil lines and wastegate are NOT part of the kit and are instead branded items as they are the 2 most common items in the cheaper kits that fail, causing a nasty failure that'll cost you a pretty penny to rectify.

Good luck and welcome to the world of 2J ownership! Don't let those TT guys bully around, NA engines can go like stink as well if you know what to do to them ;)

·
iSPOOL
1,318 Posts
I would agree and say a standalone as well.

·
Registered
1995 mkiv Supra N/A-T
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
You could get another 100hp out of those injectors but anything above that, upgrading would be a good idea as you say. Any idea what kind of fuel pump you have? That will need upgrading if you haven't already. A Walbro 255 will get you some extra headroom.

In terms of chasing more power, you're pretty much good to go to around 500hp if you add the pump and some bigger injectors (2JZs roughly require 1cc of injector size for 1hp and you'll want to take them to 80-90% duty cycle to be safe). What I would reccomend doing at some point in the near future though is upgrading the ECU to a standalone unit, converting your distributor setup to a coil on plug configuration (similar to the TT engines) and give everything a good once over. The distributors are getting old on these cars and even the new units seem to struggle more and more with the more boost you add (ask me how I know...).

Do you know what brand of turbo kit you have? I'm taking a guess at it being an XSPower one or something similar which people seem to have quite a lot of sucess with for the price of them. Just check your oil lines and wastegate are NOT part of the kit and are instead branded items as they are the 2 most common items in the cheaper kits that fail, causing a nasty failure that'll cost you a pretty penny to rectify.

Good luck and welcome to the world of 2J ownership! Don't let those TT guys bully around, NA engines can go like stink as well if you know what to do to them ;)
Cheers mate, this was extremely helpful. Previous owner said 800cc-1000cc injectors would be my best option and on the list he gave me it says an upgraded pump has been fitted that is bigger than the Walbro pump. So after reading what you've wrote, I am leaning toward ecu and distributor upgrade after injectors than possibly cams. Think this is my best option?

·
From the land down under
4,037 Posts
I think the first thing to consider if what fuel you have access to, and plan to run?

Octane will more than likely be your limiting factor, like it is for my NA-T set up

·
Registered
1995 mkiv Supra N/A-T
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think the first thing to consider if what fuel you have access to, and plan to run?

Octane will more than likely be your limiting factor, like it is for my NA-T set up
Only been running 98 in the car, and want to try keep of e85 for as long as I can as the closest fuel station with e85 is a 30 minute drive each way.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Cheers mate, this was extremely helpful. Previous owner said 800cc-1000cc injectors would be my best option and on the list he gave me it says an upgraded pump has been fitted that is bigger than the Walbro pump. So after reading what you've wrote, I am leaning toward ecu and distributor upgrade after injectors than possibly cams. Think this is my best option?
Yeah I'd say that's a good route to go down mate. I'm not an expert on the eManage but I have heard that you'll need to be careful with the injectors you select on that ECU as it's just a piggyback. So maybe just do a few searches on here to see what other people have managed to run before pulling the trigger. But if you're doing ECU at the same time as injectors then happy days!

·
From the land down under
4,037 Posts
Only been running 98 in the car, and want to try keep of e85 for as long as I can as the closest fuel station with e85 is a 30 minute drive each way.
I know how you feel, as I do the same.

Run it on 98, and have no plans to ever convert to E85 as availability here at the pump is nil.

·
From the land down under
4,037 Posts
P.S Do you have an Emanage Ultimate, or Blue?

I have an Emanage Ultimate, and am running 550cc injectors, but I have known people to run a lot bigger than mine.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Head gasket or piston upgrade to lower compression if you are limited to low octane. T70 is a high pressure turbo, it wakes up at high pressure ratios. As mentioned above for injectors, you won't need them until you are over 400HP but a standalone would definitely be recommended then.

·
From the land down under
4,037 Posts
Head gasket or piston upgrade to lower compression if you are limited to low octane. T70 is a high pressure turbo, it wakes up at high pressure ratios. As mentioned above for injectors, you won't need them until you are over 400HP but a standalone would definitely be recommended then.
It already has a 1.3mm HG, so the same size as GTE, which should have the CR at 9.2:1.

On 98 RON, this should be a safe enough setup to run circa 450hp without any problem, provided everything else is in good order :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts