Supra Forums banner

What size 17" and what offset for 315/35 17?

2K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  jkbrauch 
#1 · (Edited)
What width 17" and what offset for 315/35 17?

I can get a pretty good deal on Nitto new 315/35 17" Drag Radial, so I've been thinking about buying some rear stockers for the track.

What offset and width would be best if I was going to buy some aftermarket rims? And does anybody know of any light/cheap rims that would serve my purpose? Steve?

Thanks!

G
#3 ·
You might wanna give PHR a call. They advertise a 315/35/17 Forgeline setup on their website with all the proper specs. I'm sure they'd hook you up... I think Andi on here is running that tire size as well, so he'd know.

-R

#4 ·
Sorry, I was hoping Andi or someone who was actually running a 315 would reply. Some of this depends on what width wheel your running. You can run a stock wheel with a 315, but it will rub occasionally and it won't give you an advantage over a 275 since the wheel is only 9.5" wide. I think Andi runs a 52mm offset and had to hammer in the inner fender well a little and cut the fender lip. If I were going to run a 315 on an 11" wheel I would use somewhere around a 48mm offset and roll/cut the fender lip. As far as finding a "cheap" 11" wheel, pick one. :) I would guess that CCW would be your best bet.

Later, Steve

#5 ·
Thanks, I thought about buying some used stock rears, but wanted to explore my options. I can get the tires for $150ea. (I may wait for them to come down a little in price since they are a brand new size) and thought about just using them for the drag strip. I am thinking cheap and light and they don't have to look that nice. The CCW's look pretty sweet, but I'm not sure how much they run.

And since I would only use them to and from the track, I'm not too worried about minor rubbing every once and a while. I had cut fenders and am able to fit 265/35's and 295/35's on my 18x9.5 and 18x10.5 rims and they barely chirp if I go over a really big bump at speed.

Any wheel ideas would be helpfull, think function and not necessarily form.

Thanks!

#7 ·
I'm running 315 BFG DR's on the Forgelines, 17x11 with a 49mm off-set I believe. Have to double check on that. I did have to cut the fender lip and hammer the hell out of the inside part of the wheel-well just like Steve said and like Andi had to do on his. I haven't experienced any sort of rubbing anywhere though. Love the look of the 315's. Everyone should run on these IMHO. :D

G
#9 ·
I'm using a CCW 17x11.5 rear wheel with a 315 tire - no rubbing with about 2/3 of fender lip removed. No inner side mods required. Fronts are 18x10 with some LF rubbing on upper fenderliner screws heads, which I have ground down. Front is dropped 1.5". Tires are 285/30 in front. Prices for set are about $1,800. These are track wheels for me. Car really can use all the rubber. I don't know the offsets.
Jeff

#10 ·
Damn! 285's up front, I thought I was pretty nuts putting a 265/35 18 up front. From the sounds of it, it looks like I am going to lean towards stock rims, because everybody is referring to nice expensive wheels. I am looking for a cheap set of rims to throw on the rear for the drag races.

#11 ·
This is thinking a little "outside the box", but it would work. You could buy some 17x9" 22mm offset Enkei RPO1's which are very light, and winden the them by 2 inches. This would effectively give you a 17x11" wheel with a 47mm offset. The cost for the RPO1 is $155 and then you would have to pay to get the 2 inches added. It seems like the cheapest way to get a 17x11" in the right offset. You would not have to have longer lug nuts or spacers like you would if you widened the stock wheel. It just a thought.

Later, Steve

#12 ·
how much does it generally run to widen rims? If i got a set of rims widened, would it prolong the life of the rim? Can any rim be widened? So you could basically take say a set of blitz z2 rims, like 18 x 7.5 and widen them to 18 x 10.0? Is the rim weakened at all when they are widened? Where can i get a set of rims widened?

Also, what did it guys cost you t roll your fenders, or do whatever it takes to fit 11s in the reaR?

thx
dave

G
#14 ·
I cut my fender lip myself with a composite cutting wheel on a pneumatic die grinder. I was hesitant to let a shop roll the lip because they wouldn't guarantee the fender wouldn't be deformed, thereby requiring paint, etc. It doesn't take long to cut it, maybe an hour for both sides. I resealed the seam then painted over the bare areas. You won't ever see it.

Jeff

G
#15 ·
how about structural integraty

how would cutting the fender lip effect the stiffness of the fenders??

I'm thinking of going wide tires with 18X10.5 may be 315's.. but hwo would that effect fender flexing???

Insang

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.