Supra Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help deciding what turbo siz e is best for my 96 MKIV NA-T---And IM Thinking of using 550cc injectors-Is that good?? It Is STOCK engine--but I am putting a 2mm ehg on it...Trying to find a cheap ffim if anyone can help? Its gonna BREAK my heart to cut my TRD widebody up-jus for an intercooler!!

· (Rare & Unique)
5,010 Posts
^yup. You'll be happy

· Registered
370 Posts
do NOT put a tt headgasket AND the tt pistons in a ge block. Use the tt pistons and an na hg (this is probably the best idea, if you're capable of changing pistons) or use a tt headgasket and leave the pistons alone.

Using a tt hg and tt pistons in an na block is supposed to mess up the quench factor (something i don't completely understand yet) but i believe suprarunner and motorheaddown, know alot more about this.

· Dat-Ass Fry
1,246 Posts
^^^ I believe you dont want to use a TT headgasket on an otherwise stock GE bottom end. The reason being what you stated, it ruins the quench area and thus makes the motor even more prone to knock at the limit. With proper tuning and available octane there really isn't any feasible reason why you couldn't just use the stock compression. The problem is lack of available timing control/precise A/F control and pump gas.

After talking with John Reed my plan is to stay stock compression and simply dial back the boost/timing for pump gas. At stock compression it will have less lag and make more overal power per pound of boost. (As long as all other variables such as timing control and octane are kept in check)

· Time for change
14,584 Posts
^ I don't agree with this approach at all.
It will affect the quench area, and there are diminishing returns on going lower and lower compression by using a thicker and thicker head gasket, but higher compression will yeild LESS power when boost is involved unless you want to run something other than pump.

· Dat-Ass Fry
1,246 Posts
^ I don't agree with this approach at all.
It will affect the quench area, and there are diminishing returns on going lower and lower compression by using a thicker and thicker head gasket, but higher compression will yeild LESS power when boost is involved unless you want to run something other than pump.

Please read through my post again, as I said it is based on AVAILABLE octane. Personally I would never own a Supra for a pump gas monster. I have owned several Corvette's to fulfill that aspect of my life.

To answer a different aspect of what you said, actually YES all factors being equal in terms of guarunteed octane (we will use 92 octane in this regard), timing control, motor condition, turbo kit/size, tranny, etc. Higher compression WILL yield MORE overall power and torque PER pound of boost. Not really much of a way to argue this. Admittedly your margin of error will be lower with the higher compression.

· Registered
358 Posts
Thanks for the info guys!!Im not trying to get too crazy on internals---Or I might as well jus spend the 1500 on a complete tt swap.
T61 is the best way to go i guess. the price for tt swap u r lookin at around 8000-10000, the engine and tranny gonna cost u around 4-5000+rest of the parts+labor.

· Registered
3,108 Posts
T61 is the best way to go i guess. the price for tt swap u r lookin at around 8000-10000, the engine and tranny gonna cost u around 4-5000+rest of the parts+labor.
possibly more
example-
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDM-...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

jdm supra tt 6spd front clip- $7,500
+ driveshaft-$450- used
+ rear diff- $1,000- used
+ axles- $300-$400- used
+ US tt harness- $1,000 new
+ US tt 550cc injectors- $150--used
+ US tt 6spd ecu- $200-$300-used
+ US tt MAF- $30-$50-used

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.