Supra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

i just installed 6.5" Alpine Type R splits up the front today, and the back speakers started to distort pretty bad so i think i need new speakers there now.

so what do u guys recommend (preferably in the Alpine range). should i get 6.5" co-axials, another set of 6.5" splits or 6x9s ? which of those do u think will sound better in the supra cabin?

im planning to get a 12" Type R sub later on, and running all 4 speakers off a 4 channel amp.

thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
5,991 Posts
Are you sticking to Alpine speakers?

You might want to look into some of the Alpine component sets. Component speakers sound the best IMO since they have active crossovers and seperate speakers.

My second choice would be a set of 2ways if you can find them.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Easiest would be the coaxials. I put seperates in the rear and it's difficult to place the tweeter. No space with a 6.5" in there. I ended up with the tweeter mounted to the backside of the factory grille using fiberglass resin and silicone in a sort of coaxial way. I use identical speakers front and rear. Depends on how easy you want the install to go.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
but is there any point in getting good speakers for the back since its only used for rear fill? im thinking 6.5" coaxials will be enuff?

·
Premium Member
5,991 Posts
I think it would come down to personal opinion whether or not they are needed in the rear. I understand your dilema whether or not theres a point to buying expensive speakers for the rear, but I personally haven't run rear speakers in my car for quite a while and I don't notice the absense of them. If you buy a great component set for the front, you should be set.

:)

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeh thanks for that

but at the moment, after putting in the 6.5" Type R splits, the back speakers after producing alot of distortion and noise.

if i just put the splits and stock speakers onto an amp, will it get rid of the distortion?

·
Premium Member
5,991 Posts
Not nesecarily. It depends on whats causing the distortion. If the speakers are damaged, that could be causing the distortion. You could have a cut wire that's picking up signals through the chasis of the car which could also cause distortions. If you narrow down what type of distortion, or what it sounds like, you can determine what needs to be fixed/replaced. :)

CraigK

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i dont think its damage to the actual speaker or wire, cos it only started after putting in the Type Rs.

its hard to explain how it sounds, kinda like a slight rattle during bass notes, like it cant handle the power?

but its definetely not damaged cause we didnt touch the back speakers at all.

·
Its Me...Its Me
631 Posts
Craig King said:
Are you sticking to Alpine speakers?

You might want to look into some of the Alpine component sets. Component speakers sound the best IMO since they have active crossovers and seperate speakers.
:agreed: :bigok:

·
Registered
261 Posts
I agree with the fronts only opinion. I don't have any in the back (granted the Autopower roll bar decided that for me) but a nice set up front will make you forget about no rears. Unless you're doing surround sound for an A/V setup of course. This however is a never ending discussion among car audiophiles.

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
When trying to create the best sound stage in your car rear speakers should be used for a slight fill only. A high quality set of components up front in kick pods or even the stock positions without any rear fill will create the most realistic imaging. What you can do is fade (I assume you can fade?) more to your front speakers so that your rears do not make the weird noises from bass. Think about it this way, if you go to a concert and close your eyes the sound is coming from in front of you...not very many people go to a concert and turn around and listen to the sound from behind them. However if you do have the cash to buy new speakers for the rear I'd recommend going with a set of coaxials over components. Components in the rear will really mess up the imaging!

J

·
0 Posts
Sound is a personal issue, but after fighting with distortion, cancellation and crossover issues for a while, I finally just turfed the rear speakers. Yanked 'em out, and the boxes for 'em. All gone!

So I have 1 pair of speakers handling from ~20 Hz to ~50 Hz (10" subs), 1 pair handling from ~50 Hz to ~200 Hz (6.5" midbass), 1 pair for ~200 to ~4k (4" mids) and 1 pair for ~4k - 25k (1" tweeters).

The end result is that all the cancellation problems went away. I had to do some playing around to get the crossover points smooth, but using simple polarity (0 or 180 degrees) I was able to get all the speakers to blend very nicely, and the end result is just good sound.

I've become a believer in "simpler is better" -- At least when it comes to number of speakers. My system isn't exactly simple. :D I'm still dealing with 8 speakers in the car, but other than stereo separation, no pair is treading on any other pair's frequency response range.

So, in short, I'd say that you don't NEED rear speakers. I don't know about you, but I've only got two ears. :cool: :p

Of course, as I said. Sound is a personal thing. You can try the system with no rears at all, and see how you like it. (I only pulled my rear speakers out because the ones that were in there were driving me crazy. I was going to replace them with "better" ones. Once they were out, they stayed out.)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts