Supra Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1988 Supra has the stock stereo and I believe the original speakers. It's an AM/FM Cassette with a graphic equalizer on the right side, and it's a 2 DIN size - no pocket under it as some stereo sites ask when I'm looking. I took a photo of the rears which are a separate tweeter with a round mid range speaker.

Can anyone tell me if these are stock? I'm a simple guy and would literally just be looking to get new mid range speakers here, and also the door speakers are buzzing with likely the same shredded speaker surrounds. Anybody recognize these as stock?
Vehicle Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood

·
92 TURBO
1,127 Posts
My 1988 Supra has the stock stereo and I believe the original speakers. It's an AM/FM Cassette with a graphic equalizer on the right side, and it's a 2 DIN size - no pocket under it as some stereo sites ask when I'm looking. I took a photo of the rears which are a separate tweeter with a round mid range speaker.

Can anyone tell me if these are stock? I'm a simple guy and would literally just be looking to get new mid range speakers here, and also the door speakers are buzzing with likely the same shredded speaker surrounds. Anybody recognize these as stock?
Yep, all OEM. If you can find the bigger 6 1/2" front door speaker mounts say on eBay used on 91 & 92, that would be a vast improvement over your stock 4" .. speakers of course, lol. Then you'd be able to use 6.5" speakers in front doors with no metal cutting of door required. You can actually get some 5 1/4" replacement speakers that will fit right in the rear boxes as the cutout is actually larger than 4". Polk, MB Quartz, Infinity are are few good speakers. look for a 4 ohm with about 50 watt rating which is always peak watts not the more realistic RMS watts which would be 25 watts continuous for a speaker rated 50 watts.

EDIT: also checkout the Sensitivity rating of the speaker, low 90's are better than say a 89. Look for a 92,93 rating, the higher the better. It's a rating of how well a speaker produces sound for the watts used.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Polk DB501s will fit nicely back there, just need to snip out the outer part of the mounting holes. The same speakers will also fit in the doors with no modification. The DB501 seemed to be a common speaker swap when I was researching, but the caveat here is they are discontinued by Polk, and while still readily available last I checked, the quality control is poor in that there are a lot of customer reviews saying the cone is not properly glued to the basket right out of the box. I experienced this myself, and did a glue fix rather than gambling on an exchange.

Also be forewarned: These speakers will sound just fine while testing them in your garage, but not so great at volume while on the road, primarily due to lack of bass. Sensitivity is rated at 93dB.

Also the "tweeter" is just a bass port.

Automotive tire Camera lens Camera accessory Wood Audio equipment

Digital camera Camera lens Reflex camera Table Camera accessory

Here's some pics of that illustrate the issue I mentioned, and my fix.

Automotive tire Camera accessory Audio equipment Automotive design Rim

Liquid Bottle Automotive care Gas Electric blue

Automotive tire Audio equipment Input device Gas Gadget

·
Registered
112 Posts
Doug...if you have Instagram, user aeroperformance sells the 6.5" front door speaker pods for a reasonable price. They fit perfectly in the doors with no modifications necessary and will accept aftermarket speakers. Unfortunately, I don't think he has a website to order anything through so it would all be through IG messages/paypal. (he also sells rear hatch visors, which look super good ;))

I'm running Pioneer both front and rear with 6.5 in the front and 5 1/4 in the rear. Massive upgrade over the stock speakers but the car could still benefit from an amp and better rear enclosures. Regardless, any modern speaker upgrade still beats the stockers!

·
92 TURBO
1,127 Posts
Polk DB501s will fit nicely back there, just need to snip out the outer part of the mounting holes. The same speakers will also fit in the doors with no modification. The DB501 seemed to be a common speaker swap when I was researching, but the caveat here is they are discontinued by Polk, and while still readily available last I checked, the quality control is poor in that there are a lot of customer reviews saying the cone is not properly glued to the basket right out of the box. I experienced this myself, and did a glue fix rather than gambling on an exchange.

Also be forewarned: These speakers will sound just fine while testing them in your garage, but not so great at volume while on the road, primarily due to lack of bass. Sensitivity is rated at 93dB.

Also the "tweeter" is just a bass port.
😊😊😊
^ Exactly! on the lack of bass on the Polk DB501s. In the rear bass boxes you need a speaker that can deliver the low frequencies only which is difficult with a 4-5" speaker. You definitely don't want a coaxial speaker. You need to look for a speaker that handles just the low end. I tried numerous speakers in the rear, the Polk DB501s which I have new in box, JBL GTO528s also new in box and MB Quarts. I was Not pleased with any of the 3 mounted in the stock baffle boxes. I ended up making a custom install by adding a 2nd identical 4 ohm stock speaker to each speaker box by using a 4.5" hole cutter next to existing and connecting them in parallel for a 2 ohm load instead of the 4 ohms. Excellent bass improvement!

I did change out my '92 stock 120watt ( 60 watts rms) amp under pass. seat to a '96 Acura/Bose 225 watt ( 110 watts rms) rated at 2 ohms along with the stock 6.5" door speakers. I had lost a channel on the stock Fujitsu Ten amp and I had the free better Acura/Bose amp from an '96 3.5 RL.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Speaking of enclosures, I ran across information a while ago that the rear enclosures are 3L and the front enclosures are 2L. That can help for anyone trying to match a speaker to it's intended enclosure size. Of course, I am not sure speaker mfrs even bother to post that stuff anymore as I have not shopped for speakers in a decade.

·
Registered
147 Posts
My 92 has infinity kappa component 6.5’s in doors. 5 1/4 components in back but still using the factory 3” in stock location. I also have some tiny 4” woofers under panels beside rear seats and a 10” Rockford fostgate amplified under passenger seat. The only thing you can see is the aftermarket old school eclipse stereo with advent subwoofer eq, which is kinda period correct anyway. I think it sounds really well for all being hidden and not hi taking up hatch space. I still have two stock radios kicking around though.
Motor vehicle Vehicle Hood Automotive design Automotive tire

I’d like to eventually get a newer Bluetooth radio that’s black but seeing I haven’t driven the car in 10 years it’s not a priority lol

·
Registered
278 Posts
Speaking of enclosures, I ran across information a while ago that the rear enclosures are 3L and the front enclosures are 2L. That can help for anyone trying to match a speaker to it's intended enclosure size. Of course, I am not sure speaker mfrs even bother to post that stuff anymore as I have not shopped for speakers in a decade.
Can't say I've ever heard or at least haven't paid attention to speaker specs like "3L" before. Seems to be related to "VAS" and "equivalent volume" values, with the "L" = liters.

But on the main topic, I've got part of the rear interior out again so I can see if I can find a better speaker option than the Polk DB501s in the rear. There are a couple of alternatives I will be trying. I also picked up some bass blockers, which the door speakers and middle speakers (3.5" for 89+) desperately need. If I can get a mid-bass type speaker to fit in the rear and it sounds good, my project might be done.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts