Supra Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Polk DB501s will fit nicely back there, just need to snip out the outer part of the mounting holes. The same speakers will also fit in the doors with no modification. The DB501 seemed to be a common speaker swap when I was researching, but the caveat here is they are discontinued by Polk, and while still readily available last I checked, the quality control is poor in that there are a lot of customer reviews saying the cone is not properly glued to the basket right out of the box. I experienced this myself, and did a glue fix rather than gambling on an exchange.

Also be forewarned: These speakers will sound just fine while testing them in your garage, but not so great at volume while on the road, primarily due to lack of bass. Sensitivity is rated at 93dB.

Also the "tweeter" is just a bass port.

Automotive tire Camera lens Camera accessory Wood Audio equipment

Digital camera Camera lens Reflex camera Table Camera accessory

Here's some pics of that illustrate the issue I mentioned, and my fix.

Automotive tire Camera accessory Audio equipment Automotive design Rim

Liquid Bottle Automotive care Gas Electric blue

Automotive tire Audio equipment Input device Gas Gadget

·
Registered
287 Posts
Speaking of enclosures, I ran across information a while ago that the rear enclosures are 3L and the front enclosures are 2L. That can help for anyone trying to match a speaker to it's intended enclosure size. Of course, I am not sure speaker mfrs even bother to post that stuff anymore as I have not shopped for speakers in a decade.
Can't say I've ever heard or at least haven't paid attention to speaker specs like "3L" before. Seems to be related to "VAS" and "equivalent volume" values, with the "L" = liters.

But on the main topic, I've got part of the rear interior out again so I can see if I can find a better speaker option than the Polk DB501s in the rear. There are a couple of alternatives I will be trying. I also picked up some bass blockers, which the door speakers and middle speakers (3.5" for 89+) desperately need. If I can get a mid-bass type speaker to fit in the rear and it sounds good, my project might be done.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts