Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
SF Lurker
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 90 Supra Turbo with TEMS. What is the best suspension upgrade to get for the money without going to coilovers and keeping the TEMS? I've found Illumina II's for about 355 shipped and eibach springs for about 200 shipped. Any other suggestions on anything better or even cheaper?

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
The illumina II's are, to my knowledge, the only struts ever made that work with electronically modulated suspension.

I would recommend trying to find some linear rate springs, but to the only ones that are linear are Tokico, and I have not seen a set in a while.

Eibachs seems to be a popular upgrade and I think you will be happy with that set up. HandR will give you a lower drop, but I think the eibach looks better.

·
vvti. what
831 Posts
ive had my tokicos for only a year and 2500 miles and they blew on me. Then i decided to search around. supra sport and some of the threads on the forum has many bad reviews on them.

·
Dr Wheelspin Rh.D.
4,393 Posts
This thread comes up once or twice a week. Try using the search button for more opinions.

and FYI, I've had my Tokico's over 40,000 miles and they still work perfect.

G

·
Hey FlyingLowInOK,

What part of OK are you in?

FlyingLowInOK said:
I've got a 90 Supra Turbo with TEMS. What is the best suspension upgrade to get for the money without going to coilovers and keeping the TEMS? I've found Illumina II's for about 355 shipped and eibach springs for about 200 shipped. Any other suggestions on anything better or even cheaper?

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
If you must keep the tems but can fight through a replacement/warranty hassle, use the tok's. If you don't care or can't stand the hassle, use koni or bilstein. Springs are a personal prefrence. The biggest risk are the H&Rs which can lead to clearance and tire rub issues due the severe drop.

·
Beat the hell outta tu!!
1,061 Posts
SupraSport.com said:
The biggest risk are the H&Rs which can lead to clearance and tire rub issues due the severe drop.
Hmmm... Jeff... Might you be speaking from personal experience? :D :D

·
SF Lurker
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: Re: What springs and struts to get???

pb92turbosupra said:
Hey FlyingLowInOK,

What part of OK are you in?
Up in Stillwater? You?

Ok, you've given good suggestions on products to get, but where are good places to get them? and for a good price? I don't have all the money in the world but I've been trying to save up for a year and a half to do some things to my supra. Insurance has been killing me with my money though. I really think that my car might need a new suspension as soon as I can find the right stuff, considering it's all stock with 147k miles.

·
white guy
2,237 Posts
I've got H&R's and Tokicos, I haven't really had any problems with scraping so far. Yea, of course the front can scrape if you aren't careful, but if you just pay attention, and go slow when needed, it's all good. :)

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Is there any truth to the review on Suprasport that the bilsteins don't work with the 87 front strut caps? I am leaning towards these struts and I am worried about this.

G

·
Re: Re: Re: What springs and struts to get???

About 30 miles east of Lawton, which is south of Oklahoma City on I-44.

FlyingLowInOK said:
Up in Stillwater? You?

Ok, you've given good suggestions on products to get, but where are good places to get them? and for a good price? I don't have all the money in the world but I've been trying to save up for a year and a half to do some things to my supra. Insurance has been killing me with my money though. I really think that my car might need a new suspension as soon as I can find the right stuff, considering it's all stock with 147k miles.

·
Over 10 years on SF....
7,892 Posts
hawkeye said:
Is there any truth to the review on Suprasport that the bilsteins don't work with the 87 front strut caps? I am leaning towards these struts and I am worried about this.
I didn't have any problems installing the fronts in my 87....

G

·
The best suspension upgrade for the money would be the ST sway bars, in my opinion.

I'd get that before spending a penny on any other suspension stuff (apart from fixing broken or worn out components).

After that, I'd invest in a good alignment job (yes seriously), it makes a tremendous difference.

As far as shocks and springs, if you want to keep the TEMS, you cannot go wrong with new stock Toyota shocks. The only other TEMS shocks are made by Tokico and it's are a crap-shoot what you actually get and how long it lasts (do a search for Illumina shocks, you'll see).

For springs, lots of options out there, and it is very dependent where and how you drive your car. For a daily driver, shortening your stock ones is as good an option as any (flamewar here we come :) ).

Best of Luck.

·
Registered
110 Posts
So if i put a bomex front lip on my sup, paired with H&R's, then I'll have some serious scraping issues won't I? Man I was leaning towards H&R, but now I'm thinkin Eibach.

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
Shawndude said:
After that, I'd invest in a good alignment job (yes seriously), it makes a tremendous difference.
That money would be wasted if you align before you put the springs on, because you'd have to align again.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts